Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#99093 - 11/25/20 02:32 PM Issue With 976 LFE Test Tone
Tom M Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Massachusetts
My 976 has a problem with the LFE test tone. When running auto set-up it is fine. Here is a REW scan . [img:center]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a83yUcw-lBbpHObQdv9KYrLrYB3ExQMi/view?usp=sharing[/img] When running the LFE test tone
in the manual set-up mode it is different and incorrect and very loud. Here is the REW scan. [img:center]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1woDsuHzafCyKYSkWUBS07EVvFFZlsI3-/view?usp=sharing[/img] Note the difference in dB, both done at the same volume setting. This only occurs with the LFE tone in the manual mode. I submitted a help ticket to Outlaw with both scans and they said it was sent to their engineering staff. Outlaw's response was the scan looked fine. What about the second scan I responded. When I logged on today today to see if there was a response I found they had closed my ticket. This is my second 976. The first I had for three weeks when I discovered an issue with the DSP. They sent me a replacement, it took 3 days I thought that was great. The 976/7000x system sounds great and I'm very happy with the operation and SQ. I don't understand why Outlaw won't address this issue though.

Edited by Tom M (11/25/20 06:45 PM)

#99094 - 11/25/20 06:46 PM Re: Issue With 976 LFE Test Tone [Re: Tom M]
Tom M Offline
Gunslinger

I edited the links above. They seem to be working now.

Edited by Tom M (11/25/20 06:48 PM)
Sonore UltraRendu with SGC LPS
Sonore UltraDigital with SGC LPS
Micromega MyDac
Squeezebox Touch and Radio
Oppo BDP-83
Def Tech 8060 Front
Def Tech 8040 Center
Def Tech 8040 Surround
Def Tech ProSub 1000
Panny G25
Outlaw Audio, Audio Quest, Wire World, Blue Jean and Monster Cables

#99095 - 11/26/20 11:49 AM Re: Issue With 976 LFE Test Tone [Re: Tom M]
arbitrageur Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
The second scan does not look like a room measurement at all, it's too smooth. Presuming that your system doesn't sound like how that graph looks with regular program material I think there must be something misconfigured in REW to produce the unusual graph.
Tivo Bolt, Xbox Series X, Panasonic ub820, AppleTV 4k, LG C765P
Roon, Allo Digione Signature, Sonore MicroRendu, Uptone Audio LPS-1, Peachtree Audio Nova 150
GIK Acoustics Soffit Bass Traps, 244 Panels, Monster Bass Traps, QRD7 / Polyfusor Diffusers

#99096 - 11/27/20 10:01 AM Re: Issue With 976 LFE Test Tone [Re: Tom M]
Tom M Offline
Gunslinger

It's not REW the scans were done back to back nothing was changed. The system sounds fine and I am happy with it. All levels, crossovers and EQ filters are set. I used the 10 dB Harman house curve for a Target. The fact that the LFE test tone in the manual mode doesn't work is not a deal breaker. I can always use the auto mode or REW to set levels. I am just miffed that outlaw will not recognize this issue. They closed my help ticket before an adequate explanation was presented and told me the scan looked right. Yes, the first scan looks fine but the second clearly indicates something is wrong and they did not address that. I am thinking of making a video with audio of both modes because the difference in the tones is clearly audible.
Micromega MyDac
Oppo BDP-83
Def Tech 8060 Front
Def Tech 8040 Center
Def Tech 8040 Surround
Def Tech ProSub 1000
Panny G25

#99097 - 11/27/20 06:01 PM Re: Issue With 976 LFE Test Tone [Re: Tom M]
Deromax Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawinigan, PQ, Canada
Sadly, the 976 is abandonware.

" I hear no highs, I feel no lows, it sounds like crap, it must be Bose "

#99100 - 12/02/20 03:08 PM Re: Issue With 976 LFE Test Tone [Re: Tom M]
Tom M Offline
Gunslinger

I made a video demonstrating the issue and submitted it on a help ticket to Outlaw. They closed the ticket without responding. I've posted the link to the video. Let me know what the forum thinks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_g1sFn2rhXu8ujKWywzkEEMgP6w08Lqh/view?usp=sharing
Micromega MyDac
Oppo BDP-83
Def Tech 8060 Front
Def Tech 8040 Center
Def Tech 8040 Surround
Def Tech ProSub 1000
Panny G25

#99101 - 12/02/20 06:39 PM Re: Issue With 976 LFE Test Tone [Re: Tom M]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

Tom,

I personally responded to you both times just before your tickets were closed. I'm flabbergasted that you would come here and say otherwise.

I explained that we don't have the resources for you to open new support tickets when the issue in question has already been responded to on previous support tickets.

It was explained that the unit is in proper operation and there would be no changes. It was explained that this has to do with varying input sensitivities of a subwoofer('s plate amplifier) vs amplifiers, as well as measuring with an SPL meter.

When doing the manual tone, it should be interpreted by an external SPL meter C weighted slow that shows you an averaged number. Regardless of what it looks like on the graph, or even sounds like to your ears, it allows for proper channel balancing via the proper methods; that is all the tone is for. It is not the same procedure when using the microphone; no, it is not the same tone.

Continuing to re-open multiple tickets when you received multiple responses, and then to come on the forum, and say otherwise is not fair to the company.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM