Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#99010 - 10/08/20 04:04 PM Bi- Wiring Speakers
Bacon Sandwich Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the add. I have a question for audio folks (I don’t do TV or video media with my stereo) about bi-wiring. I have the RR-1260 coupled with a Cambridge Audio CD player, Teac turntable and I occasionally use the Aux port for my tablet for Pandora. My speakers are Motion 40’s and offer bi-wiring. Is it worth the hassle (I’m handicapped and working on the floor is a bitch) to bi-wire my system, can I really hear a difference (I’m a veteran with a huge amount of hearing loss)? What would be the preferred wire gauge to use (It’s 4’ feet either side due to wall constraints so it’s not a long run. Currently I love the system especially the internet radio function which I’ve never had before. Also between the CD player and the stereo itself the DAC’s are amazing to hear making me love my dumbass collection of CD’s again. Since this replaced my Kenwood of 24 years I want to get the most I can out of it. Thanks

#99011 - 10/08/20 08:32 PM Re: Bi- Wiring Speakers [Re: Bacon Sandwich]
arbitrageur Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Like all things cable related, it's very subjective and the only opinion that matters in the end is yours. I have bi-wired my speakers mostly because they have the posts for it and so I ordered that style of cable to start with. A well terminated 12 gauge cable should work great, 14 probably works well too.

With hearing loss I'd suggest looking at investments to lower the noise floor of your room. That can be as simple as sealing a door with some felt pads or weatherstripping or as complex as some acoustic panels. Lots of smaller tweaks have made a big difference in the sound of my room like moving the speakers around, using different feet, carpet spikes or isolation pads.
Tivo Bolt, Xbox Series X, Panasonic ub820, AppleTV 4k, LG C765P
Roon, Allo Digione Signature, Sonore MicroRendu, Uptone Audio LPS-1, Peachtree Audio Nova 150
GIK Acoustics Soffit Bass Traps, 244 Panels, Monster Bass Traps, QRD7 / Polyfusor Diffusers

#99012 - 10/10/20 07:37 AM Re: Bi- Wiring Speakers [Re: Bacon Sandwich]
Bacon Sandwich Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks, that's what I was figuring. As for noise mine is a problem of if more than one thing is going on (like people talking or stereo and TV are on in different rooms) then everything becomes muddled, (I use headphones a lot). I live on music so I might try it to see if it makes a difference.

#99015 - 10/10/20 02:21 PM Re: Bi- Wiring Speakers [Re: arbitrageur]
Bacon Sandwich Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I guess I should have asked if you noticed a difference in the sound.

#99018 - 10/12/20 12:15 PM Re: Bi- Wiring Speakers [Re: Bacon Sandwich]
arbitrageur Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I haven't done a comparison, for my main system I only ever bought the bi-wire cable. I don't think I would personally replace a good cable (correct length and guage) in use with a bi-wire set unless I felt the terminations were no longer good.
Tivo Bolt, Xbox Series X, Panasonic ub820, AppleTV 4k, LG C765P
Roon, Allo Digione Signature, Sonore MicroRendu, Uptone Audio LPS-1, Peachtree Audio Nova 150
GIK Acoustics Soffit Bass Traps, 244 Panels, Monster Bass Traps, QRD7 / Polyfusor Diffusers

#99324 - 02/05/23 04:18 PM Re: Bi- Wiring Speakers [Re: Bacon Sandwich]
Ramboy299 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello,
Did you end up Bi-wiring your Motion 40 speakers? If so did you notice a difference? I have Motion 35XT's, and thought that bi-wiring made the overall sound fuller, and smoother. I started out with homemade cables, but recently switched to a bi-wire cable from Amazon that had lots of good reviews. I think the sound improved another notch.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts