Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#98848 - 05/23/20 04:13 PM 976 no LFE
wearle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

LFE stopped working in the 976 a few weeks after purchase. Was told to reset. That didn't work, had to send in for repair. Sent it in and it came back, LFE worked for a week, quit. I reset and it worked for a few more weeks and now it's dead again. Tried to reset and nothing.

Has anyone else had this experience?

#98849 - 05/23/20 04:42 PM Re: 976 no LFE [Re: wearle]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Never heard of this issue before but what are your settings on the 976 for the sub and what are the settings on your sub?

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#98850 - 05/25/20 10:03 AM Re: 976 no LFE [Re: XenonMan]
wearle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

At the 976 the mains are set to small, the sub set to yes and crossover let at 80. I didn't change much from the default settings.

one sub is an Axiom Audio EP350 and the other is Eminence 15" powered by a bridged Crown XLS 1502.

The subs worked in this configuration and now they do not. Nothing has changed. Before it went in for repair, the subs would only work if the 967 received PCM audio. Now, they just do not work. If you go into the setup menu and run the test tones, nothing from the subs.

I hope this is just an isolated issue to this unit and it gets resolved. My concern is that it has been sent in for repair and it's doing it again.

#98855 - 05/29/20 01:30 PM Re: 976 no LFE [Re: wearle]
wearle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

just a quick update:

I tried a reset again yesterday. After resetting I left everything at default. Ran a test tone and the subs worked. Tried a few sources and nothing.

I changed all the audio inputs from HDMI to either coax or spdif and tried a few random sources and the subs worked. At this point all the listening modes were in Auto - which isn't really covered in the manual so I can only assume how it works. I reset the unit again and decided to run the auto setup feature instead of entering my own measurements. When I did that, the test failed. The test failed because I forgot to tell the 976 that I do not have SBL/R speakers. I went to speaker setup and set the SBL/R to none and re-ran the auto setup. Worked as it should and set things up very close to what I had done manually.

I set all the listening modes to PLII Movie and tried a few sources and everything seems to be working as it should.

Now I'm wondering - when I reset the 976 a week after it came back from repair, did I forget to set the SBL/R to none? If I did, would having the listening mode set to auto have some impact on the LFE signal?

It doesn't explain why I wasn't getting anything from the test tones unless the volume was too low, but I can remember what that was - just that there was nothing when touching the cone.

Things don't miraculously fix themselves so either it's an intermittent problem that hasn't been repaired or through the several resets I attempted I managed to find a some bizarre combinations of conflicting settings. IDK. Glad it's working again.

Can anyone explain exactly how the Auto listening mode works? My assumption is that it switches to what it senses - some variant of Dolby or DTS - or it makes 2.0 5.2 or 7.1. But I could be wrong. It's happened before.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts