Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#98790 - 02/29/20 04:46 PM RR2160 My experiences; comments, questions ...
RadioGaga Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Hello,

I bought the RR2160 two years ago and am mostly pleased with it.

My intent was to use it primarily for radio, but also to play my iTunes collection and eventually get a turntable for my vinyl.

I’m wondering if anyone here can assist with getting the most of the Receiver. I’ve searched youTube, and haven’t found much other than brief Audiophile reviews.

Would anyone be willing to upload a video to youTube showing use of various features?

For now, just a few comments:

During the first few weeks/months of owning RR2160, I had a few scares with power surges … and still do not know the cause. They were ‘seemingly’ random, and has left me nervous, especially when turning the unit on. And I still can’t trust the RR for visitors to turn on.

On one occasion, the power surge changed the volume setting to VERY LOUD, so after the delay before it reset back to Tuner, it came on playing so loud I’m lucky the speakers weren’t damaged.

(RR was new to me, so in the screaming loud frenzy I jumped up to turn down volume manually with control knob on RR … but it is sooooooooo slow, requiring numerous ‘turns’! It is much faster to use volume buttons on remote.)

I was always in the habit of turning volume down before turning radio off, which is good habit.

However, this got me thinking, it’d be great (ideal) if the RR were to be programmed with a menu option to pre-set ‘Default’ settings. For instance, Default the RR to always turn ON to a particular radio station, (or Aux, etc.) at a particular volume setting. So, regardless of volume or ‘input’ when RR is turned off, the following ON is at a predetermined setting. A good safety precaution.

Seems to me, this ought to be a fairly simple matter of programming.

Outlaws, are you there? What say you? Please have your tech dudes at the ranch write up some code for an update!

Which brings me to another point: Volume control. Grrrrrrr

Seriously … -100 to 0 ?!?!?!?! WTF?!

Ok, I get it; it’s an Attenuator which reduces the amplifier output … reduce the attenuation to increase the volume. Yeah, yeah … blah blah blah.

The real world ‘user interaction’ is simply increase or decrease sound! It just makes sense to have 0 as no sound, and 100 as 100%. Zero to One Hundred. Why complicate matters with -100 to 0?

Given the choice, what would most people select: -100 to 0; or, 0 to 100. ??!!

Again, Outlaws, are you listening?

Can you please have those same tech dudes write up some code for update to allow a Menu Option allowing people to choose for themselves how they’d like to interact with the RR.

Thanks for any/all who took time to read and ponder my 'thoughts'

#98791 - 03/01/20 12:50 PM Re: RR2160 My experiences; comments, questions ... [Re: RadioGaga]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
There are not going to be any software changes to the 2160 at this point in its life. The -100 to 0 is pretty much standard indication thru the industry and most users get used to it pretty quick. I would suggest you read thru the manual as it is pretty good and will reveal much of the functionality you are looking for. There are many processor out there with the default volume setting at startup. The 2160 is not one of them mostly because it is a throwback unit and does have an extensive menu. Turning the volume down before shutting it off is your best way of avoiding issues.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#98803 - 03/07/20 06:23 PM Re: RR2160 My experiences; comments, questions ... [Re: RadioGaga]
patm1198 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Sometimes when a person who doesn't have the knowledge the audiophile has suggests something to the audiophile and manufacturer i would suggest that you both try to look at the request differently. there may be good reasons ie: someone else in the house using the equipment or showing a prospective buyer how something sounds but they don't understand how the controls work or maybe a person might understands a video easier then a manual. radiogaga has some good ideas and some i would have appreciated.

#98804 - 03/07/20 08:38 PM Re: RR2160 My experiences; comments, questions ... [Re: RadioGaga]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I agree for the most part that new ideas are good but the Outlaws are committed to providing high quality equipment at a good price point. Suggestions as to redoing the firmware of a piece of equipment that has been on market for a few years isn't practical. If others in the home are going to use the equipment I highly suggest they read the manual also. The unit in question is pretty simple to use but it is possible to bollux it up if not understood. Fortunately the system menus can be locked. Another point is that there are a lot of processors on the market besides the Outlaw units and a little research up front can avoid a lot of disappointment down the road. Unlike most others the Outlaws manuals are available for research prior to buying the gear.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE

#98805 - 03/08/20 09:28 AM Re: RR2160 My experiences; comments, questions ... [Re: RadioGaga]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Another customer satisfaction problem solved by the User App product suggestion (EE-App? Man-App?). 1-100: No problem. 0-99: No problem. Min->Max? Fibonacci sequence? No problem.

Of course I know it cannot be added to any existing product. The architectures won't support it. But maybe in the future.
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#98813 - 03/22/20 10:13 PM Re: RR2160 My experiences; comments, questions ... [Re: RadioGaga]
patm1198 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am not technical like you guys apatiently are, i even had to look up fibonacci, so, to put it simply i just like to listen to good music and I am happy with the system I have, but it appears that most audiophiles are never happy and always looking for something that's not made yet. Making a suggestion to the mfg about updating a product is something valuable. The mfg can see if a number of customers concur and make changes to upcoming lines. One thing i am pondering is this stereo receiver is made for updating and I don't remember reading or seeing exactly what is updatable. I really didn't know listening to a good music required an engineering degree. I started to read up on stereos when I was starting to get into this, But you technical people take it to serious. So that being said goodnight I hope everyone stays safe and virus free and if you catch it get better soon now signing off for good.

#98818 - 03/28/20 02:25 PM Re: RR2160 My experiences; comments, questions ... [Re: RadioGaga]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Making suggestions for future products (if they even exist) is a great way to let the industry know what is wanted by users. Outlaw, as far as we know, is not making any new processors and they are not going to be able to revamp the firmware to incorporate all the desires. Like I said earlier, the manuals are available to anyone who wants to review them before purchase and should be reviewed for salient features before purchase. Expecting a small company like Outlaw to remake a firmware for each suggestion is not reasonable.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts