Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#9877 - 01/27/08 06:53 PM Re: power cords and speaker cable
Lee Bailey Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madera,CA.USA
In my case, there are no other electronic devices near my HT equipment. Bringing down the noise level in its immediate area is being handled by my PS Audio Ulitimate Outlet, an APC H15 Power Conditioner, and a Mondail Magic Coax Ground Isolation Device.
The final step is the shielded 2-wire IEC power cord connections to the equipment itself.
I can't/won't mess with the 3-prong devices, and will not modify the equipment that does not have detachable power cords.
L/C/R: Ascend Acoustics 340M/C/M
L&R Surrounds: Ascend Acoustics CBM 170
SVS 25-31PC
Panasonic BD55K Blu-Ray Player
Dishnetwork VIP722 HD/PVR.

#9878 - 01/27/08 07:12 PM Re: power cords and speaker cable
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Bailey:

I can't/won't mess with the 3-prong devices, and will not modify the equipment that does not have detachable power cords.
If concerned about AC line interference (EMI), there is a very effective and technologically solid way to combat it. That is using balanced power to your equipment. This is what major recording, film and broadcasting studios use with their gear.

Essentially, what this entails is a center tapped isolation transformer which plugs into the "unbalanced" AC line from your wall. The center tap on the secondary is grounded, and the outer legs of the transformer feed your equipment balanced 60VAC phases, which add up to the standard 120VAC. This scheme acts exactly like balanced XLR interconnects in that any crud on the AC line cannot get through due to common mode cancellation.

That way, your AC cables have NO external field, zip, nada. This method is far more effective than shielded power cables, and will reduce noise inducted through the AC mains to nothing.

Equitech makes a line of balanced power transformers which are used heavily in the professional industry.

Equitech Balanced Line Transformers

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts