Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#98593 - 08/17/19 01:02 PM RR2160 semi-fried after surge via ethernet
ErikMH Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Vermont
Houston, I have a problem....

A nearby lightning strike a few days ago brought a power surge in through our DSL line, taking out several ethernet switches and a cable and an iMac. And profoundly affecting my RR2160.

It will switch on out of standby mode (via front panel or remote), with a satisfying solinoid click — but all that happens is that the standby LED turns off and the LEDs for TONE OFF, EXTERNAL LOOP, ENTER, MENU, and MUTE all come on. No text ever shows up on the display. No buttons then on the front panel or the remote will do anything at all: except STANDBY on the front panel and OFF on the remote — each of which will put it properly back into standby mode again.

I’ve unplugged the ethernet, and toggled the main power switch, but there’s no change in its behavior.

I’m thinking this is going to have to go in for repair, but wondering whether anyone has any further ideas of things to try first. My first thought was a factory reset, but it looks like that’s only accessible via the menu, which I can’t access.

Anyone?

#98595 - 08/17/19 06:10 PM Re: RR2160 semi-fried after surge via ethernet [Re: ErikMH]
ErikMH Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Update:

The symptoms I outlined above had held true for five days. Naturally, shortly after I posted here, they changed — for the worse.

Basically, whenever the main power switch is ON, *all* the LEDs light up (still with no display or menu). It does not in any way react to my pressing STANDBY on the front panel or OFF on the remote. The only way to get the LEDs to turn back off is to switch the main power off.

#98596 - 08/18/19 10:44 AM Re: RR2160 semi-fried after surge via ethernet [Re: ErikMH]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
That's not good. The only thing you can do now is contact Outlaw and arrange to send it back to be looked at. Hopefully Outlaw can do something for you. This might be a case for your homeowners insurance if it took out all that.
Was the damaged cable fried/melted?

#98598 - 08/18/19 02:08 PM Re: RR2160 semi-fried after surge via ethernet [Re: Helson]
ErikMH Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yeah, that’s kind of what I’d been figuring. Unfortunately, we have a really high deductable — since the insurers insist on insuring us for the cost of rebuilding the exact (old, rambling, rural) house that we have, rather than the house that we would build if needed; so that won’t help.

What was damaged and what wasn’t is a little surprising: the DSL modem was fried, but the jumper ethernet cable from there to the first ethernet switch is fine. That switch was fried, and so was the long ethernet run to the other side of the house, and the next switch. But the next ethernet run and switch and both the jumper to the Outlaw and the jumper to the iMac are all fine. The iMac is toast (well, at least its internal power supply is apparently toast), and the Outlaw I explained above.

😢

#98599 - 08/18/19 03:05 PM Re: RR2160 semi-fried after surge via ethernet [Re: ErikMH]
ErikMH Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

New support ticket created. We’ll see what they say....

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts