Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#97606 - 01/16/18 12:09 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Certain phones (I have the Galaxy S6) can "see" the IR pulse. I use the front camera on mine to watch the pulse emitting from the Led.

Edited by Helson (01/16/18 12:10 PM)

#97607 - 01/16/18 01:37 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: kiwiaudio]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By kiwiaudio
Helson, please explain how you did that with your phone.
Ok. So I tried it again, and maybe I'm just "seeing" things. Now it seems like it is emitting straight outward. Maybe cause I was sitting down the first time. confused Anyway, someone else care to try?

#97626 - 01/19/18 11:16 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
Big Uncontrolled Volume Issue with Remote!

I was playing a number of concert Blu-ray's last night, and turning the volume up and down a number of times. When I would hit the volume down button the volume would go up uncontrollably, and I would have to rush to the 976 to turn it down manually. This happened at least 4 times. Even when letting off the button, the volume would still continue to increase. The volume was so loud that I felt I was about to blow out my speakers. This type of remote behavior is unacceptable, and I am asking that Outlaw address this issue, as it poses a risk of damaging speakers. Anyone else have this issue?
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Polk 265RT 3 Way Surrounds (in wall)
Sony Bravia 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED TV
Panasonic DP-UB820-K 4K Player
Technics SL 1210 GR (2019)
Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk - Phono Preamp
Ortofon Bronze 2M; Ortofon Headshell;Emmeline Nighthawk Phono Pre-Amp by Ray Sammuels
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables
Drop THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp
Blue Jeans Speaker Cable Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP (Front L&R and Center)
Blue Jeans Interconnects LC-1's

#97627 - 01/19/18 11:28 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
A better question is: Does anyone NOT have this issue, or a variant of it !
Inconsistent / Out of control behavior has been a constant issue since the release of the 976, if this thread is to be believed.
It would be nice to hear from Outlaw that they are looking into it, or working on it, but ............nothing !!
I try not to touch mine for any reason - it has a mind of its own and its a sadistic b.....d !

Maybe they are sending us all free harmonys ??
Outlaw 976 Processor
Outlaw 755 amp for Center and all four surrounds
Adcom GFA 555II for Main L & R channels
Behringer EP4000 for two homemade subs
Outlaw Ultra X13 for REAL Sub Bass !
OPPO BDP103, Marantz CD63SE, Denon DP300F
2 Adcom ACE515s for AC current treatment
Newport Theater Director for AC distribution.
Speakers are all built by myself utilizing Dynaudio Drivers
Second room: Yamaha receiver, Musical fidelity X10D tubes, Carver C9 holographic pro.

#97629 - 01/19/18 11:34 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: kiwiaudio]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By kiwiaudio
A better question is: Does anyone NOT have this issue, or a variant of it !
Inconsistent / Out of control behavior has been a constant issue since the release of the 976, if this thread is to be believed.
It would be nice to hear from Outlaw that they are looking into it, or working on it, but ............nothing !!
I try not to touch mine for any reason - it has a mind of its own and its a sadistic b.....d !

Maybe they are sending us all free harmonys ??

I would imagine that Outlaw is working on the issue, as their sales, and ultimately, overall company success depends on good reviews and customer service. This is a boutique company which is especially susceptible to negative press on its equipment. I have faith...
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Ortofon Bronze 2M; Ortofon Headshell;Emmeline Nighthawk Phono Pre-Amp by Ray Sammuels
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97630 - 01/19/18 01:57 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
Beachbum1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego
Has anyone actually contacted support with these issues and, if so, what has been the response?
Aerial Acoustics Model 6
Aerial Acoustics Model 5
RSL Speedwoofer
OPPO BDP-103
Panamax MR5100

#97631 - 01/19/18 03:57 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Beachbum1]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Beachbum1
Has anyone actually contacted support with these issues and, if so, what has been the response?

Just did...

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 1:57 PM
To: 'customerservice@outlawaudio.com' <customerservice@outlawaudio.com>
Subject: Flakey Remote - Uncontrolled Volume Issues
Importance: High

I have posted in the Saloon, but wish to formally submit my query. From my most recent “Saloon” post below:

“Big Uncontrolled Volume Issue with Remote!

I was playing a number of concert Blu-ray's last night, and turning the volume up and down a number of times. When I would hit the volume down button the volume would go up uncontrollably, and I would have to rush to the 976 to turn it down manually. This happened at least 4 times. Even when letting off the button, the volume would still continue to increase. The volume was so loud that I felt I was about to blow out my speakers. This type of remote behavior is, frankly, unacceptable, and I am asking that Outlaw address this issue, as it poses a risk of damaging speakers.”

The other “remote issues” I am having have been posted in the Saloon, so I will not include them here. Note that all issues have been present from day one.

Please let me know what you will be doing to address this, and other, “remote issues.”

I have been very happy with my Outlaw 5000 Amp, and have faith that the 976 will eventually overcome its initial 1st generation issues and earn my respect.

Sincerely,

Drue
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97633 - 01/19/18 07:10 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Helson]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

You are not seeing things. The remote emits IR light in a slightly upward fashion.

The remotes are not sending the wrong pronto hex code. As you hinted at previously, what happens is if you aim too high, as the remote diode already emits in a slightly upward angle, a portion of the command is missed. If you were to look at an excel sheet containing the codes, you would see the codes are indeed very, very similar. By missing part of the signal, the 976 receives a different command all together. What Drue is experiencing with volume continually changing is not related to this and I have asked he try a few things.

The remotes are tested here for proper functionality (correct button press emits correct pronto hex code/command), dispersion (just under 45 degrees), and an operating distance of slightly over 30ft in a perfect environment and about 25ft here. On top of this, emission strength is measured at the factory.

This is the exact same remote used for the RR2160. Right now, between the forum, email, and phone less than .01% of our customers have reported issues with the remote. I have tested a vast number of units here and have been unable to replicate anything but the proper functionality listed above. Of course, if I aim too far off axis, I can occasionally cause the aforementioned. If you are experiencing issues, please send us an email, at customerservice@outlawaudio.com, documenting what you experienced; please list all equipment in your setup. We have been spending significant time testing the remotes and units and will continue to do so; sending us feedback directly is always the most helpful.

#97640 - 01/20/18 02:44 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Outlaw Ben]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Outlaw Ben
You are not seeing things. The remote emits IR light in a slightly upward fashion.

The remotes are not sending the wrong pronto hex code. As you hinted at previously, what happens is if you aim too high, as the remote diode already emits in a slightly upward angle, a portion of the command is missed. If you were to look at an excel sheet containing the codes, you would see the codes are indeed very, very similar. By missing part of the signal, the 976 receives a different command all together. What Drue is experiencing with volume continually changing is not related to this and I have asked he try a few things.

The remotes are tested here for proper functionality (correct button press emits correct pronto hex code/command), dispersion (just under 45 degrees), and an operating distance of slightly over 30ft in a perfect environment and about 25ft here. On top of this, emission strength is measured at the factory.

This is the exact same remote used for the RR2160. Right now, between the forum, email, and phone less than .01% of our customers have reported issues with the remote. I have tested a vast number of units here and have been unable to replicate anything but the proper functionality listed above. Of course, if I aim too far off axis, I can occasionally cause the aforementioned. If you are experiencing issues, please send us an email, at customerservice@outlawaudio.com, documenting what you experienced; please list all equipment in your setup. We have been spending significant time testing the remotes and units and will continue to do so; sending us feedback directly is always the most helpful.

Ben advised me to move my IR Repeater Sensor off the front of the Plasma. I did, it is now 1 foot away from the Plasma...and I am pointing the Outlaw remote slightly down, as the IR beam is aimed slightly high. Remote issues seem to be resolved. I will keep all updated. Note, I have not tried to duplicate the issue with the Amp and TV off...but will do so when time permits. Thanks Ben!

Edited by drueb (01/20/18 02:45 PM)
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97643 - 01/21/18 11:45 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Outlaw Ben]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By Outlaw Ben

Why? Why could it not fire straight ?
Its already crazy sensitive to direction !
My IR repeater is mounted below a projector screen so its about 1-1/2' off the ground. With a coffee table in front of me, i cannot aim down unless i hold it above my head !
No other remote is like this that i have ever experienced. With 6 Tvs and innumerable remote control devices, i have more remotes in this house than i can count. None of them even remotely act like this outlaw remote !

Frustrating!
I wonder if the front can be removed and the diode bent down ?
Would that make it fire straight ?
Why am i even thinking this ?
Outlaw 976 Processor
Outlaw 755 amp for Center and all four surrounds
Adcom GFA 555II for Main L & R channels
Behringer EP4000 for two homemade subs
Outlaw Ultra X13 for REAL Sub Bass !
OPPO BDP103, Marantz CD63SE, Denon DP300F
2 Adcom ACE515s for AC current treatment
Newport Theater Director for AC distribution.
Speakers are all built by myself utilizing Dynaudio Drivers
Second room: Yamaha receiver, Musical fidelity X10D tubes, Carver C9 holographic pro.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts