Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#97540 - 01/09/18 11:30 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Moose]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By Moose
I have a similar setup and it works pretty well. I ended up using a Xantec IR repeater also with it direct wired to the 976. The Harmony Hub and blaster shoot out where the sensor for the Xantec. Without that the 976 seemed super picky about the IR signal hitting it's sensor and the way my gear is currently positioned it was easier to use the Xantec which I already had laying around.

As for an IR Repeater, I am using a BAFX Products IR Repeater - Remote Control Extender Kit...with the same results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZGK6QS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Polk 265RT 3 Way Surrounds (in wall)
Sony Bravia 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED TV
Panasonic DP-UB820-K 4K Player
Technics SL 1210 GR (2019)
Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk - Phono Preamp
Ortofon Bronze 2M; Ortofon Headshell;Emmeline Nighthawk Phono Pre-Amp by Ray Sammuels
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables
Drop THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp
Blue Jeans Speaker Cable Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP (Front L&R and Center)
Blue Jeans Interconnects LC-1's

#97547 - 01/10/18 04:21 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Originally Posted By drueb
I have a similar setup and it works pretty well. I ended up using a Xantec IR repeater also with it direct wired to the 976. The Harmony Hub and blaster shoot out where the sensor for the Xantec. Without that the 976 seemed super picky about the IR signal hitting it's sensor and the way my gear is currently positioned it was easier to use the Xantec which I already had laying around.

As for an IR Repeater, I am using a BAFX Products IR Repeater - Remote Control Extender Kit...with the same results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZGK6QS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using that BAFX IR repeater too to directly connect the 976, OPPO and cable box. and it works well. I put the IR sensor closer to my TV because I can't hook it up to the BAFX. I'm going to get the correct USB cable so the 976 can power the BAFX via its USB power connections. I'm still having issues with remotes as my cable company's database for Outlaw works the 976 fine except it won't turn it on or set the input to CBL/SAT. Complicating matters is the cable remote is a combo of IR and RF so my Harmony can't learn all the missing RF commands (e.g. Guide and Channel Up/Down). My last hope is the cable remote may be switched to IR only and then I can hopefully teach my Harmony the missing commands. Argh! At least I know the components are getting the signal now.

#97551 - 01/10/18 06:59 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: AvFan]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By AvFan
Originally Posted By drueb

I'm using that BAFX IR repeater too to directly connect the 976, OPPO and cable box. and it works well. I put the IR sensor closer to my TV because I can't hook it up to the BAFX. I'm going to get the correct USB cable so the 976 can power the BAFX via its USB power connections. I'm still having issues with remotes as my cable company's database for Outlaw works the 976 fine except it won't turn it on or set the input to CBL/SAT. Complicating matters is the cable remote is a combo of IR and RF so my Harmony can't learn all the missing RF commands (e.g. Guide and Channel Up/Down). My last hope is the cable remote may be switched to IR only and then I can hopefully teach my Harmony the missing commands. Argh! At least I know the components are getting the signal now.

Let me know when you resolve the Harmony Remote issues (which one do you have/recommend?). I want to control Fire TV Box; Apple 4th Gen Box which are both RF; PLUS my Blu-ray player, Older Apple TV and TiVo which are IR only. ONE touch with a Harmony will solve my wife's issues with turning on the TV to watch something...she thinks I am crazy, and over-complicate things with my Home Theater. GRRRRR!
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Polk 265RT 3 Way Surrounds (in wall)
Sony Bravia 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED TV
Panasonic DP-UB820-K 4K Player
Technics SL 1210 GR (2019)
Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk - Phono Preamp
Ortofon Bronze 2M; Ortofon Headshell;Emmeline Nighthawk Phono Pre-Amp by Ray Sammuels
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables
Drop THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp
Blue Jeans Speaker Cable Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP (Front L&R and Center)
Blue Jeans Interconnects LC-1's

#97557 - 01/10/18 11:02 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
Moose Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I cannot speak to the Roku but the 4th Gen Apple TV as well as the 4K Apple TV support both IR and RF. In my setup I have the 4K version and the Harmony controls it just fine using IR and using the Apple remote the RF works great.

The model I have is the Harmony Hub I believe. It’s the little puck thing which comes with a simple remote as well as app for Android, Apple, etc. It also integrates with Alexa and possibly others so using it is pretty darn easy.

#97574 - 01/12/18 11:02 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
OK, this remote is officially junk IMO. Yesterday, the volume down button decided it was now volume up. I was pretty close to max already so im scrambling for my Harmony, cannot locate it, so im running for the 976. If i had a window in my theater, this thing would be out in the snow !
I thought it was performing better firing at my Xantech IR repeater, but no.
I dont recall ever having a worse remote in my hands, and no - i dont have a plasma !

Outlaw, you have to do something about this !!

Edited by kiwiaudio (01/12/18 11:07 AM)
Outlaw 976 Processor
Outlaw 755 amp for Center and all four surrounds
Adcom GFA 555II for Main L & R channels
Behringer EP4000 for two homemade subs
Outlaw Ultra X13 for REAL Sub Bass !
OPPO BDP103, Marantz CD63SE, Denon DP300F
2 Adcom ACE515s for AC current treatment
Newport Theater Director for AC distribution.
Speakers are all built by myself utilizing Dynaudio Drivers
Second room: Yamaha receiver, Musical fidelity X10D tubes, Carver C9 holographic pro.

#97577 - 01/12/18 02:11 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
There have been too many complaints about the same issue for Outlaw not to have noticed. Maybe Outlaw Ben will chime in here.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#97579 - 01/12/18 04:51 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: kiwiaudio]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By kiwiaudio
OK, this remote is officially junk IMO. Yesterday, the volume down button decided it was now volume up. I was pretty close to max already so im scrambling for my Harmony, cannot locate it, so im running for the 976. If i had a window in my theater, this thing would be out in the snow !
I thought it was performing better firing at my Xantech IR repeater, but no.
I dont recall ever having a worse remote in my hands, and no - i dont have a plasma !

Outlaw, you have to do something about this !!
What I've found, experimenting with my 976 remote is, if you're pointing more than 2 feet higher than the 976 display window, the 976 won't see the IR command, or in some instances, not all of it.
If the initial IR pulse is missed by the IR sensor, it can interpret it as a different command. I've had a lot of experience with this type of thing in the past. The result is, a different function will occur.

With me being careful not to point the remote more than two feet higher than the 976 window, and actually pointing lower, I'm having no issues with the commands.

Edited by Helson (01/12/18 04:55 PM)

#97580 - 01/12/18 06:24 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I also found that when I was using the 976 remote I had to aim well below the 976 to get it to work consistently. Doing so allowed me to be off more than 30 degrees and get consistent connection. I hope that helps those who want to toss their remote out in the snow!

The remote issues I've been suffering are not really related to the 976 remote as I intended to use a Harmony regardless. But I'm still trying to work through a few issues. First, I have a combo of IR and RF devices. The Apple 4K is both IR and RF so it is working OK with the Harmony. My cable box is both IR and RF but it appears not every function works uses both IR and RF. For example the volume up and down are RF so I need to teach my Harmony the cable remotes IR signals if possible. Second, my LG TV does not have a traditional hierarchal menu or picture setting button that I can reproduce with a series of Harmony commands. The LG uses a GUI that has a pointer and this will become a real pain should I end up with multiple picture settings for situations like watching sports (hockey and football will likely be different settings), TV and movies. Finally, I had and have some issues because the 976 is such a new product. Harmony didn't have the 976 codes initially and they were not entirely correct when first posted them but I believe that problem has been solved. But my cable company has the wrong 976/Outlaw code for "ON" and I have an open ticket with them in hopes they will get it worked out. I offered to send them the codes Outlaw Ben provided. Thanks, Ben!

#97604 - 01/16/18 11:17 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: AvFan]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By AvFan
I also found that when I was using the 976 remote I had to aim well below the 976 to get it to work consistently. Doing so allowed me to be off more than 30 degrees and get consistent connection. I hope that helps those who want to toss their remote out in the snow!

The remote issues I've been suffering are not really related to the 976 remote as I intended to use a Harmony regardless. But I'm still trying to work through a few issues. First, I have a combo of IR and RF devices. The Apple 4K is both IR and RF so it is working OK with the Harmony. My cable box is both IR and RF but it appears not every function works uses both IR and RF. For example the volume up and down are RF so I need to teach my Harmony the cable remotes IR signals if possible. Second, my LG TV does not have a traditional hierarchal menu or picture setting button that I can reproduce with a series of Harmony commands. The LG uses a GUI that has a pointer and this will become a real pain should I end up with multiple picture settings for situations like watching sports (hockey and football will likely be different settings), TV and movies. Finally, I had and have some issues because the 976 is such a new product. Harmony didn't have the 976 codes initially and they were not entirely correct when first posted them but I believe that problem has been solved. But my cable company has the wrong 976/Outlaw code for "ON" and I have an open ticket with them in hopes they will get it worked out. I offered to send them the codes Outlaw Ben provided. Thanks, Ben!
Thanks AvFan! Glad I wasn't the only one. Wow, RF for just the volume? I've seen the LG pointer on my friend's TV. Does seem painful. Problems have been solved with the Logitech database.

FWIW, I used my camera phone to see the IR pulse coming from the 976 remote and saw that the pulse was beaming at an upward angle from the Led.

#97605 - 01/16/18 11:38 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Helson]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
Helson, please explain how you did that with your phone.

Edited by kiwiaudio (01/16/18 11:39 AM)
Outlaw 976 Processor
Outlaw 755 amp for Center and all four surrounds
Adcom GFA 555II for Main L & R channels
Behringer EP4000 for two homemade subs
Outlaw Ultra X13 for REAL Sub Bass !
OPPO BDP103, Marantz CD63SE, Denon DP300F
2 Adcom ACE515s for AC current treatment
Newport Theater Director for AC distribution.
Speakers are all built by myself utilizing Dynaudio Drivers
Second room: Yamaha receiver, Musical fidelity X10D tubes, Carver C9 holographic pro.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM