Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#9851 - 01/22/08 01:03 AM Screen size
AudioYodaWannabe Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a screen for my soon to be purchased Epson 1080UB. I've decided to spend the extra cash and get the Stewart Firehawk G3. My question is, what size should I get?

I will be sitting about 15 to 16 feet away from the screen. My usual tendencies is to sit in the back 3rd of a commercial theater if that helps at all. I used the recommended screen size calculator found on the Carada website but wanted some real world users to chime in.

My thoughts are to go between 106 and 110 inches.
This will be in my basement so ambient light can be controlled but I would like to have some recessed lights on at times to avoid the scowls from my wife who doesn't want it to be a cave all the time. My room is about 21 ft long, 20 ft wide and has 8 ft ceiling.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Polk RTI 8
Polk RTI 6
Polk RTI 4
Polk CSI 5
Mirage Omni 12 Sub

#9852 - 01/22/08 05:16 AM Re: Screen size
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I don't own a projector, but I was just messing around on the internet after looking at some of the amazing dIY theaters on AVS. I found Carlton Bale's site (just google it) and he has a great excel spread sheet that may help you. Also, Projector Central has some calculators that may work for you. Hope this helps.

#9853 - 01/22/08 06:51 PM Re: Screen size
Primaz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern CA
wow you have a nice long room, I would recommend to get the largest possible screen that the unit can display well as you have the length to enable large displays. With a really large display you might get one of the newer screens that enable speakers to be placed behind the screen for your center and mains. I have a Sanyo projector shooting to a 7' wide screen and enjoy it but if I had your room I'd go as wide as feasible based on any mounting limitations. Size matters smile

#9854 - 01/23/08 02:41 AM Re: Screen size
AudioYodaWannabe Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Avfan I will check out the calculator you mentioned. It never hurts to do research and get as much info as possible before making purchases and holes in the wall!

Primaz - I couldn't agree more about the size. I really want that immersive feel...however I am limited with respect to the ceiling. It is only 8 feet high so I am somewhat limited as I will need some room on the bottom of the wall for my center channel speaker. I'll probably end up getting a rack for my gear and place that in the far corner away from the screen. Another member in this forum also provided some nice feedback for me as well. Thanks Rick!

I'll let you guys know what I decide on when I make the purchase.

Have a good one!

Polk RTI 8
Polk RTI 6
Polk RTI 4
Polk CSI 5
Mirage Omni 12 Sub

#9855 - 02/05/08 09:36 PM Re: Screen size
Primaz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern CA
With an 8' cieling that is why I would suggest the new screens that do not affect the sound if you have your center or main speakers behind the screen. That way you can have the largest possible screen and not worry about your center channel or any other speakers placement.

#9856 - 02/19/08 06:10 PM Re: Screen size
BryanH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin TX
Before you decide on the exact size, give Stewart a call and discuss your room, projector, and intended viewing material with them. I went with Carada for my screen and the sales guy talked me into a slightly smaller screen than the calculator suggested based on my projector and room size. I think you will find that the folks at Stewart will know their stuff.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM