Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#97404 - 12/26/17 10:16 AM 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list !
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
Theres a lot to like about the 976, but of course no component is perfect. Maybe Outlaw can address some issues, maybe not !
I can live with the issues i see, but maybe there are others with issues that really should be addressed. Lets hear em !

I really dont like that i cannot rename the inputs to match my components. Thats old school Outlaw !

Blue power button is crazy bright! If i had that inside my viewing room, it would be covered with some blackout tape or something the day i got it. Thankfully i have a separate media closet outside the theater. I have one component thats even worse. A Newport Theater director - It has a row of five of these bright blue LEDs. Crazy !

The remotes very narrow field of view has been commented on a lot here. I have an IR repeater system which does help a little, or maybe im just getting better at aiming.

Edited by kiwiaudio (12/26/17 10:23 AM)
Outlaw 976 Processor
Outlaw 755 amp for Center and all four surrounds
Adcom GFA 555II for Main L & R channels
Behringer EP4000 for two homemade subs
Outlaw Ultra X13 for REAL Sub Bass !
OPPO BDP103, Marantz CD63SE, Denon DP300F
2 Adcom ACE515s for AC current treatment
Newport Theater Director for AC distribution.
Speakers are all built by myself utilizing Dynaudio Drivers
Second room: Yamaha receiver, Musical fidelity X10D tubes, Carver C9 holographic pro.

#97420 - 12/26/17 08:41 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
You would think that the same feature that allows dimming the main display could dim the blue light also. Renaming the gizmos while nice is probably not gonna happen. The remote issue needs to be fixed ASAP.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#97424 - 12/27/17 07:14 AM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

I will add that each input should have an audio gain adjustment in the input setup menu.
My turntable has by far the lowest volume output, my Oppos Bluray the highest. I can lower the Oppos output within the player, but it is a master audio control. All the apps within the Oppo also have differing gain, further muddying the waters - i wish they were each adjustable also.
Outlaw 976 Processor
Second room: Yamaha receiver, Musical fidelity X10D tubes, Carver C9 holographic pro.

#97445 - 12/28/17 01:51 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
arbitrageur Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I'm loving the sound quality and integration options of my 976! I really appreciate the Outlaws product management and engineering decisions.

Here is my request: improved audio bitstream detection/locking.

My Apple TV and Xbox One X (both feeding through HDMI) seem to be tripping up the 976 when silent or switching between menu/navigation sounds and content bitstreams. The 976 misses most Apple TV menu navigation audio unless it is in rapid succession. The Xbox is more troubling as whenever I pause or advance chapters I get a burst of digital white noise (for less than a second) before a Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA bitstream locks correctly when playing 4k content. I think this is because the Xbox is switching to Dolby Digital (or DTS) for its own system/menu sounds then back to the content bitstream. I admit that these could just as well be issues with the ATV and Xbox as sources but I have not experienced similar behavior when using the same sources and different gear (TV or HDMI attached Soundbar audio).

I also notice a delay/fade-in on audio bitstreams coming in from the coaxial input. I use Roon to send audio to an Allo DigiOne player and my playlists change sample rates / bit depths depending on the track.
Tivo Bolt, Xbox Series X, Panasonic ub820, AppleTV 4k, LG C765P
Roon, Allo Digione Signature, Sonore MicroRendu, Uptone Audio LPS-1, Peachtree Audio Nova 150
GIK Acoustics Soffit Bass Traps, 244 Panels, Monster Bass Traps, QRD7 / Polyfusor Diffusers

#97478 - 01/02/18 04:00 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
This may be too much tech for the price point...but I would like to see the OSD show Speaker Trim Levels with the touch of a button on the remote...then allow you to adjust each level up or down...all while watching and listening to the particular source. This is nice to have for Movies (due to the differences in sub woofer low bass and center channel dialog) and Blu-ray concert discs (due to wide range of recording quality).

PS...I like the bright blue power button...but that's just me!

Edited by drueb (01/02/18 04:02 PM)
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Polk 265RT 3 Way Surrounds (in wall)
Sony Bravia 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED TV
Panasonic DP-UB820-K 4K Player
Technics SL 1210 GR (2019)
Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk - Phono Preamp
Ortofon Bronze 2M; Ortofon Headshell;Emmeline Nighthawk Phono Pre-Amp by Ray Sammuels
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables
Drop THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp
Blue Jeans Speaker Cable Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP (Front L&R and Center)
Blue Jeans Interconnects LC-1's

#97480 - 01/02/18 05:14 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: drueb]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
Originally Posted By drueb
This may be too much tech for the price point...but I would like to see the OSD show Speaker Trim Levels with the touch of a button on the remote...then allow you to adjust each level up or down...all while watching and listening to the particular source. This is nice to have for Movies (due to the differences in sub woofer low bass and center channel dialog) and Blu-ray concert discs (due to wide range of recording quality).

PS...I like the bright blue power button...but that's just me!

I second the "on the fly" trim levels on the remote. I would love that.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#97481 - 01/03/18 10:38 AM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
arbitrageur Offline
Gunslinger

Regarding channel trim levels - viewing and changing them on the fly is documented on page 37 of the owners manual (far right column "To adjust channel levels during playback:"). You use the "test" button on the remote, press enter (to leave test tones off) then use right and left to move between channels and up and down to adjust the level.
Roon, Allo Digione Signature, Sonore MicroRendu, Uptone Audio LPS-1, Peachtree Audio Nova 150
GIK Acoustics Soffit Bass Traps, 244 Panels, Monster Bass Traps, QRD7 / Polyfusor Diffusers

#97482 - 01/03/18 12:25 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: arbitrageur]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
Thanks, I know that, Outlaw customer service advised me...but I really like to adjust levels with the aid of OSD on the TV, not the unit.
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Polk 265RT 3 Way Surrounds (in wall)
Sony Bravia 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED TV
Panasonic DP-UB820-K 4K Player
Technics SL 1210 GR (2019)
Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk - Phono Preamp
Ortofon Bronze 2M; Ortofon Headshell;Emmeline Nighthawk Phono Pre-Amp by Ray Sammuels
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables
Drop THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp
Blue Jeans Speaker Cable Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP (Front L&R and Center)
Blue Jeans Interconnects LC-1's

#97484 - 01/03/18 03:13 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Id like to see an adjustable delay on the second sub output so the room modes can be manipulated. Seldom can we place subs in the ideal locations.

Edited by kiwiaudio (01/03/18 03:14 PM)
Outlaw 976 Processor

#97522 - 01/08/18 11:57 AM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
arbitrageur Offline
Gunslinger

In addition to granular delay control on each sub output (good call, this could really help fine tune) I would like to see an option to set the low pass crossover to the subs without a high pass on the mains (when using large mains to allow more overlap). There is an option to do this with multichannel DD/DTS but I'd like an option to do it with stereo.

While I'm on the subject, I would like a better explanation of the "Sub Trim" on the "LFE Trim" menu - is it duplicate to the sub trim on the Speaker/Level Trim (I don't think so), seems like it applies to the All Channel Stereo mode? That would make sense since there are explicit settings for DD/DPL/DTS/Stereo but the language the manual uses, overall far better than other products, still leaves me with this question. Are crossovers applied before the EQ for each channel or after? Come to think of it, the 976 is applying bass management to the analog inputs too (this is huge, prior Outlaw products had a fixed analog option for analog bass management or used an ADC) - are the crossovers always analog or are they digitally processed for digital sources?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts