Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#63741 - 02/21/07 11:47 AM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
kgt Offline
Gunslinger

Something somewhat similar to this has happened to my 990 on 2 occasions. The unit was up and running and I would walk over to it to turn the volume up or down. As soon as I touched the volume knob, there was a static electricity shock and all of the text on the front display turned off. The light remained blue and I can't really remember if picture/sound were still going through.

Pressing the standby button twice got the unit working again. Clearly, static electricity had something to do with my incident - not sure if it is at all related to yours...

#63742 - 02/25/07 09:17 AM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
Brian Quinn Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Coming up on 4 weeks now that Outlaw has had my 990, and I haven't heard anything.

I'm sure your reassurance as to the technical reliability of the 990 is very helpful to other readers, Scott. For the record, there was no power surge related to the failure of my unit.

#63743 - 02/26/07 09:37 AM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
Scott Offline
Desperado

Brian,

I did try to reach you last week when your repair shipped. Unfortunately, only one of the two numbers we have listed for you is current, and the one that is did not provide an option to leave a message. I then attempted to reach you via a Saloon PM but unfortunately, you have that feature turned off.

We emailed both the warranty invoice and tracking information to the email address you provided us on the 21st. If you have not received the email we can resend it, but I would appreciate it if you could give me a call (866-OUTLAWS) so I can update your contact information as I prefer not to use the Saloon for shipment notifications etc.

Thanks,

Scott

#63744 - 02/27/07 10:38 AM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
Brian Quinn Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Well, that'll teach me to post while I'm on the road. I returned home to find my 990 waiting by my doorr. That's strange that your contact info was off, Scott - I've corresponded with Steve in Tech Support several times without incident.

Apparently, a part in the power supply of my unit was malfunctioning (I believe it was a thermistor). I just set everything up again last night, recalibrated, and my unit is now working perfectly! The total time from ship-out to return was just under 4 weeks - so Outlaw beat their own warranty agreement (which stipulates 4-6 weeks as the typical cycle time for repair work).

While the failure of the unit was very frustrating, I have to commend Outlaw on standing behind their warranty, and for turning around the repair of my unit so quickly. Specifically, Steve was extremely helpful and patient in working with me to get my unit repaired and returned. Well done, Outlaw!!

Earwit and jrlouie, I hope your units are repaired and returned in the very near future as well. Let me know when you've received them.

#63745 - 03/04/07 04:44 PM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
anamorphic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: syracuse ny
I repair electronics for a living and I can tell you that most problems with low power units (not power amps) happen at power up.Its like being thrown in cold water to a person,it can kill you.All of my non- power amp equipment is left on all the time.Also use a backup power supply, surge protectors do not help with voltage sags.These can kill electronics just as well as spikes.My 990 has never been turned off other than for connecting to other equipment. Long live the 990!

#63746 - 07/22/08 10:28 AM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
badboi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Sorry to bring up so an old thread, but add me to the list people having this issue. Nothing on the display, just blue light. Attempts to turn on and then shuts off. I checked all connections, tried to reset (which does nothing -- tries to turn on and immediately turns off again). Purchased February 2006. Everything in my setup is connected to a Panamax and all other equipment works fine. Call me not very happy right now.

#63747 - 09/30/08 12:42 AM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
Andrew S Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta
My 990 is dead. Same symptoms. It's been chugging away for a couple of years, today it's not working.

Not looking forward to a 4 week repair cycle.

#63748 - 12/13/08 02:41 AM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
AudioBear Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Champaign, IL
Did you try unplugging it for 5 min?

#63749 - 12/13/08 03:48 AM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
marsilians Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NJ and Toronto
Scott,

I just got the 990, and am a bit concerned about this issue to fellow outlaws. Is there a sequence of serial nos. this is happening to? Are the reasons for failure the same (thermistor)?

Thanks much.

#63750 - 12/15/08 10:37 PM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
AudioBear Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Champaign, IL
I have to say, Outlaw is a great company to do business with--they are very responsive.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts