Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#9823 - 01/16/08 01:31 PM Re: any blu ray players that decode DolbyHD and pass it through 7.1 analog out?
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
if i'm hooking up the new panny bd-50 with 7.1 analog cables to get DolbyHD or PCM, then i guess i'm using the Panny's DACs to convert the sound. Panasonic makes decent DACs?

So my question is, am i almost better off hooking up the panny with an optical cable, not getting the PCM or Dolby HD, and letting my 990 use its DACs and get the standard Dolby Digital or DTS. Which would sound better?

#9824 - 01/16/08 02:35 PM Re: any blu ray players that decode DolbyHD and pass it through 7.1 analog out?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Yes, you would be using the Panasonic's DAC's for TrueHD and PCM. I have no idea what kind of quality the DAC's are in Panasonic's Blu-ray players, but based on my experiences with DVD-Audio and SACD I suspect that it'd at very least be worth connecting the 7.1 analog and comparing with traditional DD/DTS over optical - the benefits of lossless are likely to be significant, certainly enough so to justify the effort of making the comparison with a number of different discs.

#9825 - 01/17/08 01:18 AM Re: any blu ray players that decode DolbyHD and pass it through 7.1 analog out?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
If you want DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, the only one that I know of is this beast due out next month from Denon - for the princely sum of $2,000. I know of no other player with DTS-HD MA decoding on-board.
The Denon website says that their upcoming $2k BD player:
Quote:
internally decodes new, higher-quality surround Dolby TrueHD soundtracks and can pass Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio via bit stream to compatible receivers
Hopefully a typo (the previous time I checked, they had cut and pasted the specs of their BD player on to the product page of their BD transport, leading some to believe that the transport would decode all the advanced audio codecs). In either case, the price and lack of profile 2.0 place it behind the Panny BD50 feature-wise. If it turns out that it can only bitstream DTS-HD MA and not decode it internally (as their product page suggests), then one wonders what you're getting for the princely sum of $2,000.

#9826 - 01/17/08 04:08 AM Re: any blu ray players that decode DolbyHD and pass it through 7.1 analog out?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Interesting, Sanjay - your link certainly suggests that the Denon can't decode Master Audio internally, but this PDF mentions decoding TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio to multichannel PCM. Shame they can't get their facts straight about their own product. As you say, I wonder what their target market is. For the price they want for the 3800BD, you'd think that they could have at least tucked in DVD-A and SACD support.

#9827 - 01/17/08 07:35 AM Re: any blu ray players that decode DolbyHD and pass it through 7.1 analog out?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
For the price they want for the 3800BD, you'd think that they could have at least tucked in DVD-A and SACD support.
Indeed, lack of SACD/DVD-A support is the most glaring ommision in a player at this price level. My Panny BD10A does DVD-A and the PS3 does SACD, so we know support for those formats is possible in a BD player. Thank goodness for my $149 Oppo.

When it comes to DTS-HD MA support, I'd rather believe your PDF than my quote from the Denon site. I guess we'll see when it finally comes out. The Panny BD50 still has the advantage when it comes to BD profile, at one third the price no less.

#9828 - 02/14/08 05:36 AM Re: any blu ray players that decode DolbyHD and pass it through 7.1 analog out?
rk1981 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Norton Shores,Michigan
I'm still a 990 wannabe with limited equipment/experince. That said , I still think the dramatic diffrence between Dolby IIx in 7 channels and Dolby HD (from my 10a through the analog ports) and the amazing picture quality of blueray make it the best theater upgrade available for $400.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts