Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#97867 - 03/06/18 03:20 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
soccerdad Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate New York
Non issue for me as well. I've had for about a month now(upgrade from 970 which still works). Very noticeable difference in sound quality, center channel clarity and for some reason the bass from my NHT FL and FR seems much better (supposedly they go down to 29). I use Harmony 650 remotes($50 each maybe) on our 3 systems for the wife. We just select the activity, whether it be Netflix, Bluray player, cable TV, turntable or Media PC(I'm still using Windows Media Center with HD homerun for live TV and recording on 2 systems(AWESOME)and the input "name" isn't critical.
Samsung 60" 4k
Outlaw 970 still works great(just decided to finally upgrade)

#97870 - 03/07/18 10:52 AM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: Deromax]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By Deromax
No, it's a mess. I don't want my BD player to be on a generic Disc input, my turntable to be on the Game input, my CD player on the Media input or my other analog gear on the Server input. Memory or not, it's an ergonomic mess.

At that point, I'd rather have "Input 1", "Input 2", etc than the current arbitrary names.

Totally agree Eric. Well said !
Outlaw 976 Processor
Outlaw 755 amp for Center and all four surrounds
Adcom GFA 555II for Main L & R channels
Behringer EP4000 for two homemade subs
Outlaw Ultra X13 for REAL Sub Bass !
OPPO BDP103, Marantz CD63SE, Denon DP300F
2 Adcom ACE515s for AC current treatment
Newport Theater Director for AC distribution.
Speakers are all built by myself utilizing Dynaudio Drivers
Second room: Yamaha receiver, Musical fidelity X10D tubes, Carver C9 holographic pro.

#97871 - 03/07/18 12:29 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
My guess is that the upcoming flagship model may have this ability as another feather in its cap to set it apart and provide additional functionality. I would not expect to see it change in the 975 or the 976, though.

#97872 - 03/07/18 02:46 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
Deromax Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawinigan, PQ, Canada
I'd add that since the inputs are really "software" inputs, we should be able to use *all* of the hardware inputs if needed, by adding new inputs at the end of the existing list!

I certainly don't want a bloated piece of equipment, but this minimalist and "our way or the highway" approach reminds me why Blackberry disapeared! What if one day manufacturers decide that the front panel will no longer have any buttons nor display, because "people are mostly using the remote"? What if they remove all the analog inpus, including the 7.1? Wnat if they remove the Stereo mode, because "this is a product made for movies"?

By actively being against a trivial to add functionality that several people seem to want and that you're not forced to use, I think you're doing a disservice to the future functionnalities of such products. Don't aim for the bottom, aim for the top! smile

My 0.02

Edited by Deromax (03/07/18 02:47 PM)

" I hear no highs, I feel no lows, it sounds like crap, it must be Bose "

#97873 - 03/07/18 03:07 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Added functionality has always translated to added cost. If you were to get the added features you want,
now how much would you pay?
I agree with Owl's_Warder. The flagship model may have these added features, with more cost.

I like that my current 976 and my previous 975 were in an affordable price range for me. They both did exactly what I needed them to do. Reproduce the video and audio, and they both have great SQ.

I also use the Harmony 700 which I only have to choose an activity and sit back and enjoy. I barely even look at my 976.

#97875 - 03/07/18 03:56 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: Deromax]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Originally Posted By Deromax
I'd add that since the inputs are really "software" inputs, we should be able to use *all* of the hardware inputs if needed, by adding new inputs at the end of the existing list!

I certainly don't want a bloated piece of equipment, but this minimalist and "our way or the highway" approach reminds me why Blackberry disapeared! What if one day manufacturers decide that the front panel will no longer have any buttons nor display, because "people are mostly using the remote"? What if they remove all the analog inpus, including the 7.1? Wnat if they remove the Stereo mode, because "this is a product made for movies"?

By actively being against a trivial to add functionality that several people seem to want and that you're not forced to use, I think you're doing a disservice to the future functionnalities of such products. Don't aim for the bottom, aim for the top! smile

My 0.02
I completely understand where you're coming from here, but remember that you're focusing on one trivial thing while they're looking at ALL the trivial things. Anything that gets omitted or stripped down to save cost/time/space is something that someone, somewhere, wants. The Outlaws have made their name keeping cost down and functionality simple and effective. These are the sorts of things that occur with that approach. The trivial easy to add things are how you end up with 3,465 features in a receiver. Everyone wants to add just one more little thing. I like that they draw a line and I'm truly sorry that your needs fall on the wrong side of that line. Hopefully you find something that works for you, though. Maybe the flagship model if you're still in the market when it streets!

#97876 - 03/07/18 04:52 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I agree with Owl's Warder that Outlaw has to draw a line somewhere to control costs.If it were a simple software issue they would probably have fixed it long ago but...it's not just that. They would have to modify the menu/OSD to give you some sort of keyboard device and allow more characters for the names. Manufacturers like Onkyo get to spread that kind of cost across multiple devices so it is easy for them to do. Outlaw builds one or two processor models every two years or so (if they are lucky). Most of us are here because we want performance and are willing to go more basic. Like Outlaw we have drawn a line of what we want to spend and what features we want. If the current processors don't fit a specific users needs they will have to either move on or decide to buy one.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#97878 - 03/07/18 05:38 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
Deromax Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawinigan, PQ, Canada
In other fields, things have been added by software to devices that were thought to be impossible to add, and the updates were free. At work I use a Behringer digital mixing console and you wouldn't believe all the goddies they were able to add at the users suggestions, in mere weeks. They still do, and the original, now 6 years old hardware, is still fully supported.

My old Samsung Blu-ray player got DTS Master Audio codec support added by a free firmware update. The PS4 got 3D support via a free firmware update. Etc.

It's often a question of will to/marketing decision more than engineering.

But my 976 sounds good, it's the most important thing in the end!

PS, you don't need a keyboard to name something in a basic user interface. It's been done in numerous devices since the 80s, and namely in the 13 years old Outlaw 990! wink

" I hear no highs, I feel no lows, it sounds like crap, it must be Bose "

#97879 - 03/07/18 07:08 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Without some sort of keyboard device how can you name the inputs? Even the venerable 990 uses a alphabet selector device to allow renaming inputs. Even if you could rename the inputs on the front panel, your remote won't change. Confusion will reign.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#97881 - 03/07/18 09:34 PM Re: 976 Dislikes or improvement/update wish list ! [Re: kiwiaudio]
NASANut Offline
Gunslinger

Hello,

First, I never expected my question to start such heated, well maybe lukewarm, debate.

Some of the initial comments regarding the lack of the ability to rename inputs was ‘not an issue’, I can certainly appreciate your opinion. Everyone has their ‘desires’. I for one, have no desire for ATMOS, so the fact that the 976 doesn’t have it is ‘not an issue’ for me. However, being forced into the existing input naming options is.

Also, if I am about to spend close to $1000 for a new surround sound processor and it doesn’t have a feature that my 14 year old current processor does, it kind of feels like stepping backwards.

I certainly agree that audio and video quality is the most important, however based on my searching there seem to be many devices that have this, although they also seem to come with their own ‘warts’. Things like receivers that have amps I don’t want, tons more inputs I don’t need, or higher cost.

I have never owned a piece of Outlaw Audio equipment but was drawn to the brand, among others, based on favorable comments seen on the web. They do seem like a company that I would like to deal with, assuming they have a product that meets my needs/desires.

With regards to the comments that a programable input name would require a keyboard, I disagree. Changing the name of inputs is not something that would be done often (if ever again after the initial setup). It could be done with an up/down button that scrolled through the alphabet and numbers, a right/left button to go to the next/previous character, and an ‘ok’ button to select. This could be done on the front panel if it was too much trouble to do through the remote. Again, this is not something that would be done often. I don’t need it to have to be displayed on the OSD while being entered.

Some people have stated something along the lines of ‘I can remember that ‘disc’ is actually the Roku, or Game is actually my turntable’ and yes, I may eventually be able to remember this However, I also have family members that are not as tech savvy. I also know that I could program my Harmony remote button to say ‘Roku’ but when the front panel of the 976 shows up as ‘disc’, I can easily foresee my family calling me with ‘Dad/Honey, somethings wrong. I agree with another poster that Input 1, Input 2, etc would be better than the current input names available (assuming your actual input devices are not exactly what the unit offers as options). In my opinion it would be easier to correlate/associate “Input 1” with ‘Roku’ than say “Cable/Sat”.

I understand that the ‘flagship’ model may have this functionality, however I am sure it is going to be outside my price range, not to mention it is going to have features I don’t need (or want).

The intent of my question was to find out if anyone had heard from the company (whether directly, via press releases, manuals, website, etc) if this was a functionality that could be offered at a later time or if their current design was such that there was no way to update the unit in this manner. I would certainly not expect them to make a hardware design change just to add this. It appears that no one has this info, which is fine, so I will contact them directly.

If I hear anything back from them, I will let you know.

Happy Listening and Viewing.

Edited by NASANut (03/07/18 10:03 PM)

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM