Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#97610 - 01/16/18 08:04 PM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Moose]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Outlaw had better change the manual because currently it wants the OSD to prompt you when to insert the microphone. This is something that no other piece of gear I have had ever warned about and no one will look at the FAQ section to figure it out before causing damage. Outlaw Ben?

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#97642 - 01/20/18 09:04 PM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Moose]
singing italian Offline
Gunslinger

The 976 is a fine sounding surround processor. I have compared it to
Krell Showcase, Citation 7 and 5
surround processors. Add modern-day switching and excellent build quality what you receive is a very competent surround processor for people who do not want to get into Dolby Atmos.
I also compared the Oppo's 7.1 and dedicated 2 channel outputs against the dacs in the 976.I was using the Oppo 205 HDMI audio output. If you like to change HDMI cables to compare differences the 976 will not disappoint. I used WireWorld Silver Starlight 7 HDMI. Wow what a difference it made. I can honestly tell you that if you are considering purchasing
the Oppo 205 for the analog outputs I would hold off. After going back and forth many times I will say there are differences that the Oppo 205 offers but I can't say that it is significantly better for the amount of money. Finally when you run the stereo surround on the 976 I think the 976 moves up another class. The focus on the Sound Stage and and sense of depth really is good.
Hopefully Outlaw can make some small revisions to correct the Auto calibration and noise-related issue.
I agree this type of problem should not be in a 2018 product.

Edited by singing italian (01/20/18 09:35 PM)

#97646 - 01/21/18 12:02 PM Re: Auto Setup [Re: singing italian]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By singing italian
The 976 is a fine sounding surround processor. I have compared it to
Krell Showcase, Citation 7 and 5
surround processors. Add modern-day switching and excellent build quality what you receive is a very competent surround processor for people who do not want to get into Dolby Atmos.
I also compared the Oppo's 7.1 and dedicated 2 channel outputs against the dacs in the 976.I was using the Oppo 205 HDMI audio output. If you like to change HDMI cables to compare differences the 976 will not disappoint. I used WireWorld Silver Starlight 7 HDMI. Wow what a difference it made. I can honestly tell you that if you are considering purchasing
the Oppo 205 for the analog outputs I would hold off. After going back and forth many times I will say there are differences that the Oppo 205 offers but I can't say that it is significantly better for the amount of money. Finally when you run the stereo surround on the 976 I think the 976 moves up another class. The focus on the Sound Stage and and sense of depth really is good.
Hopefully Outlaw can make some small revisions to correct the Auto calibration and noise-related issue.
I agree this type of problem should not be in a 2018 product.
Not sure what you meant by "running the stereo surround"?? Is that "all channel stereo"? If so, I agree. It does sound great!

I've only ran the auto setup once, but, I didn't notice any noise-related issues?

#97651 - 01/22/18 04:18 AM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Moose]
singing italian Offline
Gunslinger

Yes that is correct. All Channel Stereo

#97652 - 01/22/18 08:28 AM Re: Auto Setup [Re: singing italian]
matty1137 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

What are the noise-related issues?

#97678 - 01/25/18 03:18 AM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Moose]
singing italian Offline
Gunslinger

The 976 sample I received had unusual behavior. When you auto calibrate you expect pink noise to be outputted for each channel in the auto caibration mode. (left,center,right etc.) What my unit did was as each channel was being processed there was additional noise coming from the front right channel as well. This occurred in each channel being calibrated. It almost sounded like leakage. After I calibrated the first time the unit would not acknowledge any of my speakers being connected. I did multiple Factory resets but this did not correct the problem. I contacted customer service and receive the FAQ:
Section 1A States some noise when running test tone is normal. To avoid the possibility of damaging the microphone make sure the unit is off when plugging or unplugging the microphone. I did not know this. Is it possible that because I did not turn the unit off first prior to installing the microphone that this created the noise I was hearing during auto calibration? I do not know. Since I kept getting a error message concerning speakers not being connected I returned the unit.
I feel strongly that Outlaw will be able to make revisions to safeguard the processor during auto calibration in the future.
I was very disappointed that I had to return the unit. The 976 meets my needs for high quality 2-channel audio as well as surround sound along with the 4K video switching that I need.

#97680 - 01/25/18 03:22 PM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Moose]
Deromax Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawinigan, PQ, Canada
Maybe your unit was really defective and could be exchanged? This doesn't look as a common issue?

" I hear no highs, I feel no lows, it sounds like crap, it must be Bose "

#97682 - 01/25/18 08:30 PM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Deromax]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Georgia, US of A!

Originally Posted By Deromax
Maybe your unit was really defective and could be exchanged? This doesn't look as a common issue?
I believe they will send you another 976. While I've never own an AVR or prepro that came w/setup software. But...

Back in 2015, my house, (unknown to me at the time) had faulty* wiring*. It* wasted the PS on my first 975 - Outlaw sent me another unit.

SteveB believes Outlaw beefed the 976 PS because I screwed up 3 975 PSs.

Edited by 975 destroyer (01/25/18 08:53 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM