Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#9735 - 08/14/07 02:43 PM Thiel SCS?
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
...an old model from Thiel's line. Does anyone have experience with it? I've been looking at one that just came up on eBay dirt cheap, but so far no one's bidded on it, and their are no reviews online to—though it's obvious that it wasn't considered one of Thiel's top line products even back when it was introduced in the early '90s. Just curious about the sound and whether it's worth the effort to replace my current Omnisat center.

#9736 - 08/18/07 03:48 AM Re: Thiel SCS?
pegasus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ky
Theil seems to get better and better.Jim Thiel allways strives to do the best he can.Any Thiel speaker would be worth a long look.I visited the factory just last week to listen to the new 307s;I very impressed!The power point is an amazing speaker as well.

#9737 - 08/18/07 11:56 AM Re: Thiel SCS?
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Thanx Pegasus. There don't seem to be many Thiel owners in the Saloon. I bidded once on that speaker and then let it go; the price was right, but the size kinda wasn't. I'm still curious about the Thiel sound, though; have been ever since Outlaw's Peter T wrote that he admired the company's attention to the details when introducing Outlaw's bookshelf speaker.

#9738 - 08/18/07 04:35 PM Re: Thiel SCS?
pegasus Offline
Gunslinger

I am curious as to which model Thiel it was? I would describe the Thiel sound as being very revealing,no booming bass,great imaging.I personally do not like the smaller Thiels as well as the bigger models.

#9739 - 08/18/07 07:45 PM Re: Thiel SCS?
tru blu Offline
Desperado

It was the first model of the "SCS" line introduced back in 1991. It was characterized as a "bookshelf speaker" or "center channel," about 16" tall or wide depending on whether it stands up or lies on its side.

I think Thiel Audio is up to the SCS4 now. From the few reviews I've read of first SCS's successor, the SCS2, it was kinda Thiel's entry into the nascent home theater market. The reviews seem pretty lukewarm; something about Thiel going against its own tradition and using a second-order crossover. Their other speakers are kinda out of my price range, especially given that I run a music-only system and upgraded just about a year ago to NHTs (which I'm cool with) and a Mirage Omnisat (which I wouldn't mind replacing, though it sounds fine enough).

Do you own Thiels? Since you visited the factory, my guess is that you swear by them?

#9740 - 08/19/07 01:35 AM Re: Thiel SCS?
pegasus Offline
Gunslinger

I have never owned Thiels.I have not been able to afford them.I have tried to make my own,and have enjoyed the results.I live very close to the factory and have been lucky enough to hear them often.This last visit was to listen to the power points for a new room I am building.I left there totally in love with the new 307s and am now planning to go stereo.My wife and I have enjoyed surround sound, however I prefer listening to music and feel movies will sound great through the 307s in stereo.I would be very happy with NHTs! I am kind of tired of listening to my DIY speakers.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 203 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts