Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#97326 - 12/20/17 12:45 AM Flakey remote?
J.S. Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey all... mostly thrilled new 976 owner here. Unfortunately the included remote is driving me up a wall. Is it inconsistent for anyone else at normal seating distances?

Specifically, if I'm any more than 2 feet away, most button presses aren't received consistently by the processor. For example holding the volume button doesn't smoothly raise the volume... it seems to pause and stutter on its way up. Even worse, often switching inputs causes the volume to go up or other random behavior! Everything is terribly inconsistent.

Batteries are fine, so I feel the problem is more with the IR generation or keypad itself. What's really telling is that I've swapped in my old 990 remote, and the processor works great when I use that instead.

Am I the only one? Did I get a bum remote? confused

#97329 - 12/20/17 10:11 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
Mine works perfectly from 12' away which is as far as i can get. Has not failed a single action, so im guessing you got a bad one
Outlaw 976 Processor
Outlaw 755 amp for Center and all four surrounds
Adcom GFA 555II for Main L & R channels
Behringer EP4000 for two homemade subs
Outlaw Ultra X13 for REAL Sub Bass !
OPPO BDP103, Marantz CD63SE, Denon DP300F
2 Adcom ACE515s for AC current treatment
Newport Theater Director for AC distribution.
Speakers are all built by myself utilizing Dynaudio Drivers
Second room: Yamaha receiver, Musical fidelity X10D tubes, Carver C9 holographic pro.

#97330 - 12/20/17 10:58 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
You are the second person on the forum to mention potential problems with the remote. See this post

In the past I've had remotes where the IR diodes were bent during manufacturing and were pointing at the case instead of out the little window. Can you see if the diodes are pointed correctly?
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#97340 - 12/20/17 09:55 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
J.S. Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Kiwi -- thanks for the data point. From 12' I could get the power to turn on, but had to walk closer before the volume even registered.

EEman -- thanks for linking that post. Adrian's experience sounds very similar. I'm including some quick photos of the IR diode, which looks about as well aligned as one would expect.

976 IR Remote Diode

Edited by J.S. (12/20/17 10:02 PM)

#97347 - 12/21/17 11:20 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
Quirky Remote...last night while watching a number of Blu-ray movies and concerts, I noticed that when I pressed the volume up button on the remote, the volume actually went down. I pressed the same button again and it continued to go down. I then pressed the volume down button, and it continued to go down. Not sure what caused this, but this is probably the 3rd time it has happened over the last week. Thoughts on a fix for this intermittent problem?

Also, I will be receiving my IR repeater today, and will update the forum on that...but I did confirm that there is definitely a narrow approach angle on the 976 remote when aimed at the 976. Again, very similar to my TiVo remote (TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR).

As far as sound, the 976 was outstanding on each of the various Blu-rays I played: Gone with the Wind, Les Miserables, new Pearl Jam, Sargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Band 1978 (Frampton and the Bee Gees)...evidencing wide original variety of recording quality/remastering, and the 976 handled them all with no need to adjust Trim Level's. This was not possible with my Denon 3808 Ci.

Edited by drueb (12/21/17 11:26 AM)
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Polk 265RT 3 Way Surrounds (in wall)
Sony Bravia 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED TV
Panasonic DP-UB820-K 4K Player
Technics SL 1210 GR (2019)
Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk - Phono Preamp
Ortofon Bronze 2M; Ortofon Headshell;Emmeline Nighthawk Phono Pre-Amp by Ray Sammuels
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables
Drop THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp
Blue Jeans Speaker Cable Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP (Front L&R and Center)
Blue Jeans Interconnects LC-1's

#97348 - 12/21/17 11:26 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Deromax Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawinigan, PQ, Canada
My remote is fine, and will actually work by reflexion when pointing it at the opposing wall!

" I hear no highs, I feel no lows, it sounds like crap, it must be Bose "

#97352 - 12/21/17 05:51 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Deromax]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Deromax
My remote is fine, and will actually work by reflexion when pointing it at the opposing wall!

Sounds like some remotes are fine, and others not so much!
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Ortofon Bronze 2M; Ortofon Headshell;Emmeline Nighthawk Phono Pre-Amp by Ray Sammuels
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97353 - 12/21/17 06:29 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

Hi Drue, As previously mentioned every single remote's signal strength gets checked. This happened while we were at the factory. If I have a free minute tomorrow, I will upload a quick video of the process. Some people's environments are not quite ideal.

Ask Peter about his situation with all the spurious IR in his room that was interfering with his Model 975...

#97361 - 12/22/17 11:55 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

If you'd like to download the video, it can be done here

#97365 - 12/22/17 12:34 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
arbitrageur Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Hi everyone, I remember ages ago that Plasma TVs were occasionally found to be sources of IR interference. You can double check this by trying your 976 remote with your panel turned off.

(google "plasma interference ir remote" for supporting documentation)
Tivo Bolt, Xbox Series X, Panasonic ub820, AppleTV 4k, LG C765P
Roon, Allo Digione Signature, Sonore MicroRendu, Uptone Audio LPS-1, Peachtree Audio Nova 150
GIK Acoustics Soffit Bass Traps, 244 Panels, Monster Bass Traps, QRD7 / Polyfusor Diffusers

#97383 - 12/23/17 01:57 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Outlaw Ben]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Outlaw Ben
If you'd like to download the video, it can be done here: https://outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/remoteqcstage1.html

Thanks, Ben...I had no doubt that the remote was thoroughly tested. My remote issue is different...more about function confusion. My volume down button, when pushed...sent the volume up...this happened twice, but has not happened again. Also, I think that my Panasonic Plasma IR has the same "off" frequency, if this is what you call it...because when I turn off my 976 (via the Remote), the Plasma TV also turns off! But, when I turn on the 976 with the 976 Remote, the TV does not turn back on.

UPDATE: IR REPEATER...I installed a repeater, and it has greatly improved IR reception...which I expected. I then placed all my IR enabled equipment inside my Salamander Cabinet. Aside from the warnings about putting the IR repeater receiver near the plasma TV, or on it, I have not seen any IR issues regarding the sensor which I placed next to the Panasonic name on the front of my TV! Pic of my set up...doors have metal mesh panels, not glass.

Edited by drueb (12/23/17 02:28 PM)
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97395 - 12/24/17 01:09 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
arbitrageur Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I have now experienced flakey IR behavior and I think it may be a software issue. My statement about Plasma interference above can be disregarded for troubleshooting...

Like others I have had remote commands that are ignored (menu navigation and volume) and then when the 976 does respond to the remote button press it acts like it is executing commands from the past (executing a previously sent series of up when the last command was down). I have also experienced strange menu navigation in the OSD when an IR command seems to reset the current menu to the top option on the screen (the whole screen blinks).

I did not experience any IR issues when I had my 976 in my office. It was only connected to two powered speakers via XLR, HDMI out to a monitor, and a coaxial digital input. There were no other remotes being used in that environment either.

I started to experience the IR issue after moving the 976 to my theater room. I added in some HDMI sources and configured them through the OSD - if there is a software bug I think it is triggered in the video input configuration menus and persists thereafter. It is also possible that it is a bug that is triggered by receiving another manufacturers IR codes as I was using my tv remote while configuring the video inputs when the IR issue started.

I hope this helps track narrow the investigation.
Tivo Bolt, Xbox Series X, Panasonic ub820, AppleTV 4k, LG C765P
Roon, Allo Digione Signature, Sonore MicroRendu, Uptone Audio LPS-1, Peachtree Audio Nova 150
GIK Acoustics Soffit Bass Traps, 244 Panels, Monster Bass Traps, QRD7 / Polyfusor Diffusers

#97397 - 12/25/17 01:23 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: arbitrageur]
J.S. Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By arbitrageur
Like others I have had remote commands that are ignored (menu navigation and volume) and then when the 976 does respond to the remote button press it acts like it is executing commands from the past (executing a previously sent series of up when the last command was down).

Yes! This is exactly what I experience. However, I'm wary to call it a 976 software issue due to the fact that using my 990 remote is 100% reliable. I only experience the ignored/erroneous command error using the 976 remote.

The 990 remote works from anywhere in the room, even from angles approaching 90 degrees... even bouncing it off the wall behind me or pointing it at the floor behind a coffee table. It just works.

The 976 remote only works reliably if pointed directly at the 976. Moving a few degrees out of alignment results in missed or incorrect codes. I have not had a remote perform this poorly in my history of AV equipment.

As previously mentioned every single remote's signal strength gets checked. This happened while we were at the factory. If I have a free minute tomorrow, I will upload a quick video of the process.

Thanks for the video. Unfortunately, signal strength is only one small piece of the communications puzzle. The factory testing processes doesn't appear to verify that correct signal is sent, only that something is emitted from the remote. Similarly, it can't check the dispersion of the signal, as the test receiver only reads a single value with the remote in one position.

Given that you now have multiple customers experiencing a similar problem, I feel we'd appreciate a more attentive response than "but, but... it was tested!" I'd like to help get to the bottom of this, but we could use some better guidance from the Outlaw side.

For anyone keeping track:
  • No plasma TV in the room (DLP projector only).
  • The 976 is not inside a cabinet or behind any other visual obstruction
  • Batteries in the 976 remote both read 1.55-1.58 volts
  • The 976 is 100% reliable using the remote from the 990
  • The IR diode on the 976 remote is not obviously misaligned
  • The 976 remote fails when even slightly off target (horizontally or vertically)
  • Distance doesn't affect reliability, except so far as increasingly precise aim is necessary for the signal to be received

#97398 - 12/25/17 01:32 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Can you use the 976 remote to control the 990? To me it feels like the IR receiver in the 976 is too narrowly focused or the beam transmitted from the remote is too narrow. If it is the remote the 990 will also have issues.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#97399 - 12/25/17 03:03 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: XenonMan]
J.S. Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By XenonMan
Can you use the 976 remote to control the 990?

Excellent idea, XenonMan... time to science the s##t out of this!

I wasn't super thorough, but initial tests reveal the same behavior controlling the 990 with the 976 remote. In fact, I'm tempted to say that the receiver on the 976 is a bit more forgiving.

So for now, evidence points to the issue being that the 976 remote is way too tightly focused. Since there is no lens on the new remote, I'm going to guess this is entirely a property of the single protruding IR LED being used. I wonder if anyone at Outlaw would be willing to let us know the specific LED part number is? grin

Oh... and Merry Christmas, ya'll!

Edited by J.S. (12/25/17 03:04 AM)

#97429 - 12/27/17 12:00 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

On another 976 Remote Control issue, I did notice that I had to push the button to change sources 2 or 3 times when switching from say, CBL/SAT to Game (TiVo to Fire TV)…like the unit did not properly read the signal from the remote. This has happened before. I am using a IR Repeater, so strength of signal should not be an issue. I sit 10 feet away from the 976, which is housed in a cabinet with a mesh screen door. The IR Receiver is mounted on the bottom of my Plasma TV next to the “Panasonic” emblem.

JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97454 - 12/29/17 12:40 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
aeroguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Folsom CA
I need to agree with everyone here concerning the remote. It is definitely not the 976, which operates pretty well with my Harmony Touch programed for the 975.
Sony Bravia 52" XBR
DirectV
Apple TV
Infinity Speakers
Home Built Sub+800 WRMS Amp
Blue Jeans and PPC Cables
Phillips Home Theater Power Conditioner
Wi-Fi "ac" connected

#97458 - 12/29/17 03:56 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I've now used the 976 remote and my Harmony 750 with the 976.
The harmony has much better range than the 976 remote does.

With the 976 remote, I find if I lower the aim of the remote towards the 976, it operates much better than if I'm aiming a bit higher than the display window. (Over two feet higher and it won't see the command)
I seem to have the lateral range of approximately a 45° angle outward from the 976. I also seem to be able to bounce the IR off of the left side wall of my room and achieve even greater functional range.
For me, this range would be sufficient to operate the 976 from any of my seats, if I wasn't using the Harmony to control all of my devices.

Even though I find I can point the Harmony in the opposite direction and still control the 976, it is still intuitive to aim towards the devices. Some of my other devices, like my converter box, I need to aim the Harmony towards it.
So, yes the 976 IR sensor on the front is very good.
The remote is adequate IMHO.

#97459 - 12/29/17 03:59 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By drueb
On another 976 Remote Control issue, I did notice that I had to push the button to change sources 2 or 3 times when switching from say, CBL/SAT to Game (TiVo to Fire TV)…like the unit did not properly read the signal from the remote. This has happened before. I am using a IR Repeater, so strength of signal should not be an issue. I sit 10 feet away from the 976, which is housed in a cabinet with a mesh screen door. The IR Receiver is mounted on the bottom of my Plasma TV next to the “Panasonic” emblem.

Are you aiming a bit higher towards the 976 display? Try aiming slightly lower. See if that helps. If the 976 doesn't "see" the beginning of the IR pulse, it may interpret a different function button command.

#97467 - 12/30/17 01:48 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Helson]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Helson

Are you aiming a bit higher towards the 976 display? Try aiming slightly lower. See if that helps. If the 976 doesn't "see" the beginning of the IR pulse, it may interpret a different function button command.

Thanks. That does work...but, I wanted a higher and unobstructed central point to aim the remote. So long as I aim at the IR Sensor on the panel of my TV...all is good! It is 5 inches to the left of the Panasonic emblem, where the conduit runs down...left of the Center Channel speaker.
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97502 - 01/06/18 05:09 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Well, I thought my remote was ok, but yesterday it was acting just weird !
I was trying to run auto setup yesterday and the remote was driving me bananas !
Standing 6’ away from the 976 and firing right at it, I was Using the 5way buttons to move within the menus.
Several times buttons would not respond at all. Other times up pushes made the menu go down and vise versa. I’d finally get to where I wanted to be and hit “enter” only to have it move down a line instead. Very frustrating time !
I finally got to auto setup and let it run. When it was done, it had all my speaker distances set at about triple what they are. For example, my center channel is 11 ft away. It reported 32’ ! Same for every speaker. I don’t know what that’s all about 😩
Outlaw 976 Processor
Second room: Yamaha receiver, Musical fidelity X10D tubes, Carver C9 holographic pro.

#97506 - 01/07/18 10:52 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Hog Up Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Normal, IL
Hey guys, it has been a while since I've been in the Saloon but have a question about Harmony remotes. I am strongly thinking about buying a 976 and would like to use a couple year old (but never used), Harmony Smart Control with the smart hub. My thought is to use an older iPad as my new HT remote to control the 976, my Oppo 93, Direct TV Genie, and Mitsubishi LaserVue TV. Anyone have any experience using this type of Harmony app-remote and as it would apply with the 976?

Thanks in advance!
Mitsubishi LaserVue L75
Legacy Audio Whispers, Marquis, Decos, Studio HDs, and Metro sub
Blue Jeans Cable cables

#97518 - 01/08/18 08:21 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
rance Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston. MA
Finally got to spend some dedicated time with my 976 this weekend, and am loving it. I have to agree with everyone about the remote however; erratic operation (especially when in the setup menus), intermittent acceptance of commands, etc. I like the slimness and feel of the remote, and the simple, straightforward buttons (although I think the volume buttons could have at least had a little nub on them), its just the flakey operation that's disappointing. My wife can't operate it at all (silver lining?).

#97519 - 01/08/18 09:40 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
PianoProdigy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

My remote too is oftentimes worthless. I've tried it with and without my IR repeater and the behavior is the same. I ordered a same-day Harmony remote and I'll contact Outlaw about getting a new one.

#97525 - 01/08/18 04:34 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
aeroguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Folsom CA
I have updated my Harmony Touch with the Model 976 codes on the Logitech Website and am happy to report that the 976 is operating pretty much normally at this point. The only issue that I have is that the 976 takes a fair amount of time to boot up so my initial selection for source is not always correct. There are settings for this on the Harmony that I need to review and adjust. Otherwise the remote issues are gone.
Sony Bravia 52" XBR
DirectV
Apple TV
Infinity Speakers
Home Built Sub+800 WRMS Amp
Blue Jeans and PPC Cables
Phillips Home Theater Power Conditioner
Wi-Fi "ac" connected

#97526 - 01/08/18 05:03 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Glad it works for you, but Buying a harmony is not an answer.
I have one too, but that does not excuse the outlaw remote.
Does anyone have one without issues ?
Outlaw 976 Processor

#97527 - 01/08/18 05:27 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

UPDATE: Still Flakey!

Using the red "Power On" button to turn on my 976, generally takes 2 to 3 attempts. One attempt is ALWAYS seemingly to "power up" the remote, then a second push sometimes turns on the unit, and sometimes it takes a third push of the button.

Maybe Outlaw will remedy the problem with the remote via update or replacement(?)

FYI...I am using an IR repeater...which has greatly increased the angle of the aim required of the Outlaw remote. However...the previously mentioned issue is still haunting me!

Edited by drueb (01/08/18 05:28 PM)
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97528 - 01/08/18 05:55 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: kiwiaudio]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
Originally Posted By kiwiaudio
Glad it works for you, but Buying a harmony is not an answer.
I have one too, but that does not excuse the outlaw remote.
Does anyone have one without issues ?

Mine seems to work at 8 to 9ft and a slight angle of about 20 degrees.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#97530 - 01/08/18 06:17 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: mdanderson]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Mine seems to work at 8 to 9ft and a slight angle of about 20 degrees. [/quote]

That's the way mine was w/o a repeater.
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97533 - 01/09/18 12:40 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Hog Up]
Moose Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have a similar setup and it works pretty well. I ended up using a Xantec IR repeater also with it direct wired to the 976. The Harmony Hub and blaster shoot out where the sensor for the Xantec. Without that the 976 seemed super picky about the IR signal hitting it's sensor and the way my gear is currently positioned it was easier to use the Xantec which I already had laying around.

#97540 - 01/09/18 11:30 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Moose]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Moose
I have a similar setup and it works pretty well. I ended up using a Xantec IR repeater also with it direct wired to the 976. The Harmony Hub and blaster shoot out where the sensor for the Xantec. Without that the 976 seemed super picky about the IR signal hitting it's sensor and the way my gear is currently positioned it was easier to use the Xantec which I already had laying around.

As for an IR Repeater, I am using a BAFX Products IR Repeater - Remote Control Extender Kit...with the same results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZGK6QS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97547 - 01/10/18 04:21 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California

As for an IR Repeater, I am using a BAFX Products IR Repeater - Remote Control Extender Kit...with the same results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZGK6QS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using that BAFX IR repeater too to directly connect the 976, OPPO and cable box. and it works well. I put the IR sensor closer to my TV because I can't hook it up to the BAFX. I'm going to get the correct USB cable so the 976 can power the BAFX via its USB power connections. I'm still having issues with remotes as my cable company's database for Outlaw works the 976 fine except it won't turn it on or set the input to CBL/SAT. Complicating matters is the cable remote is a combo of IR and RF so my Harmony can't learn all the missing RF commands (e.g. Guide and Channel Up/Down). My last hope is the cable remote may be switched to IR only and then I can hopefully teach my Harmony the missing commands. Argh! At least I know the components are getting the signal now.

#97551 - 01/10/18 06:59 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: AvFan]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By AvFan

I'm using that BAFX IR repeater too to directly connect the 976, OPPO and cable box. and it works well. I put the IR sensor closer to my TV because I can't hook it up to the BAFX. I'm going to get the correct USB cable so the 976 can power the BAFX via its USB power connections. I'm still having issues with remotes as my cable company's database for Outlaw works the 976 fine except it won't turn it on or set the input to CBL/SAT. Complicating matters is the cable remote is a combo of IR and RF so my Harmony can't learn all the missing RF commands (e.g. Guide and Channel Up/Down). My last hope is the cable remote may be switched to IR only and then I can hopefully teach my Harmony the missing commands. Argh! At least I know the components are getting the signal now.

Let me know when you resolve the Harmony Remote issues (which one do you have/recommend?). I want to control Fire TV Box; Apple 4th Gen Box which are both RF; PLUS my Blu-ray player, Older Apple TV and TiVo which are IR only. ONE touch with a Harmony will solve my wife's issues with turning on the TV to watch something...she thinks I am crazy, and over-complicate things with my Home Theater. GRRRRR!
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97557 - 01/10/18 11:02 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
Moose Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I cannot speak to the Roku but the 4th Gen Apple TV as well as the 4K Apple TV support both IR and RF. In my setup I have the 4K version and the Harmony controls it just fine using IR and using the Apple remote the RF works great.

The model I have is the Harmony Hub I believe. It’s the little puck thing which comes with a simple remote as well as app for Android, Apple, etc. It also integrates with Alexa and possibly others so using it is pretty darn easy.

#97574 - 01/12/18 11:02 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

OK, this remote is officially junk IMO. Yesterday, the volume down button decided it was now volume up. I was pretty close to max already so im scrambling for my Harmony, cannot locate it, so im running for the 976. If i had a window in my theater, this thing would be out in the snow !
I thought it was performing better firing at my Xantech IR repeater, but no.
I dont recall ever having a worse remote in my hands, and no - i dont have a plasma !

Outlaw, you have to do something about this !!

Edited by kiwiaudio (01/12/18 11:07 AM)
Outlaw 976 Processor

#97577 - 01/12/18 02:11 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

There have been too many complaints about the same issue for Outlaw not to have noticed. Maybe Outlaw Ben will chime in here.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE

#97579 - 01/12/18 04:51 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: kiwiaudio]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

OK, this remote is officially junk IMO. Yesterday, the volume down button decided it was now volume up. I was pretty close to max already so im scrambling for my Harmony, cannot locate it, so im running for the 976. If i had a window in my theater, this thing would be out in the snow !
I thought it was performing better firing at my Xantech IR repeater, but no.
I dont recall ever having a worse remote in my hands, and no - i dont have a plasma !

Outlaw, you have to do something about this !!
What I've found, experimenting with my 976 remote is, if you're pointing more than 2 feet higher than the 976 display window, the 976 won't see the IR command, or in some instances, not all of it.
If the initial IR pulse is missed by the IR sensor, it can interpret it as a different command. I've had a lot of experience with this type of thing in the past. The result is, a different function will occur.

With me being careful not to point the remote more than two feet higher than the 976 window, and actually pointing lower, I'm having no issues with the commands.

Edited by Helson (01/12/18 04:55 PM)

#97580 - 01/12/18 06:24 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I also found that when I was using the 976 remote I had to aim well below the 976 to get it to work consistently. Doing so allowed me to be off more than 30 degrees and get consistent connection. I hope that helps those who want to toss their remote out in the snow!

The remote issues I've been suffering are not really related to the 976 remote as I intended to use a Harmony regardless. But I'm still trying to work through a few issues. First, I have a combo of IR and RF devices. The Apple 4K is both IR and RF so it is working OK with the Harmony. My cable box is both IR and RF but it appears not every function works uses both IR and RF. For example the volume up and down are RF so I need to teach my Harmony the cable remotes IR signals if possible. Second, my LG TV does not have a traditional hierarchal menu or picture setting button that I can reproduce with a series of Harmony commands. The LG uses a GUI that has a pointer and this will become a real pain should I end up with multiple picture settings for situations like watching sports (hockey and football will likely be different settings), TV and movies. Finally, I had and have some issues because the 976 is such a new product. Harmony didn't have the 976 codes initially and they were not entirely correct when first posted them but I believe that problem has been solved. But my cable company has the wrong 976/Outlaw code for "ON" and I have an open ticket with them in hopes they will get it worked out. I offered to send them the codes Outlaw Ben provided. Thanks, Ben!

#97604 - 01/16/18 11:17 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: AvFan]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By AvFan
I also found that when I was using the 976 remote I had to aim well below the 976 to get it to work consistently. Doing so allowed me to be off more than 30 degrees and get consistent connection. I hope that helps those who want to toss their remote out in the snow!

The remote issues I've been suffering are not really related to the 976 remote as I intended to use a Harmony regardless. But I'm still trying to work through a few issues. First, I have a combo of IR and RF devices. The Apple 4K is both IR and RF so it is working OK with the Harmony. My cable box is both IR and RF but it appears not every function works uses both IR and RF. For example the volume up and down are RF so I need to teach my Harmony the cable remotes IR signals if possible. Second, my LG TV does not have a traditional hierarchal menu or picture setting button that I can reproduce with a series of Harmony commands. The LG uses a GUI that has a pointer and this will become a real pain should I end up with multiple picture settings for situations like watching sports (hockey and football will likely be different settings), TV and movies. Finally, I had and have some issues because the 976 is such a new product. Harmony didn't have the 976 codes initially and they were not entirely correct when first posted them but I believe that problem has been solved. But my cable company has the wrong 976/Outlaw code for "ON" and I have an open ticket with them in hopes they will get it worked out. I offered to send them the codes Outlaw Ben provided. Thanks, Ben!
Thanks AvFan! Glad I wasn't the only one. Wow, RF for just the volume? I've seen the LG pointer on my friend's TV. Does seem painful. Problems have been solved with the Logitech database.

FWIW, I used my camera phone to see the IR pulse coming from the 976 remote and saw that the pulse was beaming at an upward angle from the Led.

#97605 - 01/16/18 11:38 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Helson]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Helson, please explain how you did that with your phone.

Edited by kiwiaudio (01/16/18 11:39 AM)
Outlaw 976 Processor

#97606 - 01/16/18 12:09 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Certain phones (I have the Galaxy S6) can "see" the IR pulse. I use the front camera on mine to watch the pulse emitting from the Led.

Edited by Helson (01/16/18 12:10 PM)

#97607 - 01/16/18 01:37 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: kiwiaudio]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Helson, please explain how you did that with your phone.
Ok. So I tried it again, and maybe I'm just "seeing" things. Now it seems like it is emitting straight outward. Maybe cause I was sitting down the first time. confused Anyway, someone else care to try?

#97626 - 01/19/18 11:16 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Big Uncontrolled Volume Issue with Remote!

I was playing a number of concert Blu-ray's last night, and turning the volume up and down a number of times. When I would hit the volume down button the volume would go up uncontrollably, and I would have to rush to the 976 to turn it down manually. This happened at least 4 times. Even when letting off the button, the volume would still continue to increase. The volume was so loud that I felt I was about to blow out my speakers. This type of remote behavior is unacceptable, and I am asking that Outlaw address this issue, as it poses a risk of damaging speakers. Anyone else have this issue?
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97627 - 01/19/18 11:28 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

A better question is: Does anyone NOT have this issue, or a variant of it !
Inconsistent / Out of control behavior has been a constant issue since the release of the 976, if this thread is to be believed.
It would be nice to hear from Outlaw that they are looking into it, or working on it, but ............nothing !!
I try not to touch mine for any reason - it has a mind of its own and its a sadistic b.....d !

Maybe they are sending us all free harmonys ??
Outlaw 976 Processor

#97629 - 01/19/18 11:34 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: kiwiaudio]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

A better question is: Does anyone NOT have this issue, or a variant of it !
Inconsistent / Out of control behavior has been a constant issue since the release of the 976, if this thread is to be believed.
It would be nice to hear from Outlaw that they are looking into it, or working on it, but ............nothing !!
I try not to touch mine for any reason - it has a mind of its own and its a sadistic b.....d !

Maybe they are sending us all free harmonys ??

I would imagine that Outlaw is working on the issue, as their sales, and ultimately, overall company success depends on good reviews and customer service. This is a boutique company which is especially susceptible to negative press on its equipment. I have faith...
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97630 - 01/19/18 01:57 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
Beachbum1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego
Has anyone actually contacted support with these issues and, if so, what has been the response?
Aerial Acoustics Model 6
Aerial Acoustics Model 5
RSL Speedwoofer
OPPO BDP-103
Panamax MR5100

#97631 - 01/19/18 03:57 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Beachbum1]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Beachbum1
Has anyone actually contacted support with these issues and, if so, what has been the response?

Just did...

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 1:57 PM
To: 'customerservice@outlawaudio.com' <customerservice@outlawaudio.com>
Subject: Flakey Remote - Uncontrolled Volume Issues
Importance: High

I have posted in the Saloon, but wish to formally submit my query. From my most recent “Saloon” post below:

“Big Uncontrolled Volume Issue with Remote!

I was playing a number of concert Blu-ray's last night, and turning the volume up and down a number of times. When I would hit the volume down button the volume would go up uncontrollably, and I would have to rush to the 976 to turn it down manually. This happened at least 4 times. Even when letting off the button, the volume would still continue to increase. The volume was so loud that I felt I was about to blow out my speakers. This type of remote behavior is, frankly, unacceptable, and I am asking that Outlaw address this issue, as it poses a risk of damaging speakers.”

The other “remote issues” I am having have been posted in the Saloon, so I will not include them here. Note that all issues have been present from day one.

Please let me know what you will be doing to address this, and other, “remote issues.”

I have been very happy with my Outlaw 5000 Amp, and have faith that the 976 will eventually overcome its initial 1st generation issues and earn my respect.

Sincerely,

Drue
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97633 - 01/19/18 07:10 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Helson]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

You are not seeing things. The remote emits IR light in a slightly upward fashion.

The remotes are not sending the wrong pronto hex code. As you hinted at previously, what happens is if you aim too high, as the remote diode already emits in a slightly upward angle, a portion of the command is missed. If you were to look at an excel sheet containing the codes, you would see the codes are indeed very, very similar. By missing part of the signal, the 976 receives a different command all together. What Drue is experiencing with volume continually changing is not related to this and I have asked he try a few things.

The remotes are tested here for proper functionality (correct button press emits correct pronto hex code/command), dispersion (just under 45 degrees), and an operating distance of slightly over 30ft in a perfect environment and about 25ft here. On top of this, emission strength is measured at the factory.

This is the exact same remote used for the RR2160. Right now, between the forum, email, and phone less than .01% of our customers have reported issues with the remote. I have tested a vast number of units here and have been unable to replicate anything but the proper functionality listed above. Of course, if I aim too far off axis, I can occasionally cause the aforementioned. If you are experiencing issues, please send us an email, at customerservice@outlawaudio.com, documenting what you experienced; please list all equipment in your setup. We have been spending significant time testing the remotes and units and will continue to do so; sending us feedback directly is always the most helpful.

#97640 - 01/20/18 02:44 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Outlaw Ben]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

You are not seeing things. The remote emits IR light in a slightly upward fashion.

The remotes are not sending the wrong pronto hex code. As you hinted at previously, what happens is if you aim too high, as the remote diode already emits in a slightly upward angle, a portion of the command is missed. If you were to look at an excel sheet containing the codes, you would see the codes are indeed very, very similar. By missing part of the signal, the 976 receives a different command all together. What Drue is experiencing with volume continually changing is not related to this and I have asked he try a few things.

The remotes are tested here for proper functionality (correct button press emits correct pronto hex code/command), dispersion (just under 45 degrees), and an operating distance of slightly over 30ft in a perfect environment and about 25ft here. On top of this, emission strength is measured at the factory.

This is the exact same remote used for the RR2160. Right now, between the forum, email, and phone less than .01% of our customers have reported issues with the remote. I have tested a vast number of units here and have been unable to replicate anything but the proper functionality listed above. Of course, if I aim too far off axis, I can occasionally cause the aforementioned. If you are experiencing issues, please send us an email, at customerservice@outlawaudio.com, documenting what you experienced; please list all equipment in your setup. We have been spending significant time testing the remotes and units and will continue to do so; sending us feedback directly is always the most helpful.

Ben advised me to move my IR Repeater Sensor off the front of the Plasma. I did, it is now 1 foot away from the Plasma...and I am pointing the Outlaw remote slightly down, as the IR beam is aimed slightly high. Remote issues seem to be resolved. I will keep all updated. Note, I have not tried to duplicate the issue with the Amp and TV off...but will do so when time permits. Thanks Ben!

Edited by drueb (01/20/18 02:45 PM)
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97643 - 01/21/18 11:45 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Outlaw Ben]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Why? Why could it not fire straight ?
Its already crazy sensitive to direction !
My IR repeater is mounted below a projector screen so its about 1-1/2' off the ground. With a coffee table in front of me, i cannot aim down unless i hold it above my head !
No other remote is like this that i have ever experienced. With 6 Tvs and innumerable remote control devices, i have more remotes in this house than i can count. None of them even remotely act like this outlaw remote !

Frustrating!
I wonder if the front can be removed and the diode bent down ?
Would that make it fire straight ?
Why am i even thinking this ?
Outlaw 976 Processor

#97645 - 01/21/18 11:52 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

From what I could tell, the diode is mounted flush within the nose of the remote. I originally thought the remote was firing upward, then I wasn't so sure. Now Ben has confirmed my earlier assessment.

kiwiaudio, have you tried turning the remote in your hand so the buttons face left or right, depending on which hand your using? That might solve the aiming issue. I use my Harmony, so I'll have to dig out the 976 remote and see if it changes things.

#97649 - 01/21/18 08:48 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

UPDATE:

Still having volume control issues...press volume down, and it goes up. Not every time, about every 6th time. Twice while watching Blu-ray's last night, and one time today. I did previously move the IR Repeater Sensor off the front of my plasma TV, 1 foot lower than the panel now (as per repeater instructions). But, as I just said...issue is still present. Just moved the Sensor 31 inches away to see if that fixes things. Will update shortly.

As an aside, I a thinking about buying a Harmony Remote to get rid of the issue...as others have in this forum.

Edited by drueb (01/21/18 09:12 PM)
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97650 - 01/21/18 10:34 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

UPDATE:

Still having volume control issues...press volume down, and it goes up. Not every time, about every 6th time. Twice while watching Blu-ray's last night, and one time today. I did previously move the IR Repeater Sensor off the front of my plasma TV, 1 foot lower than the panel now (as per repeater instructions). But, as I just said...issue is still present. Just moved the Sensor 31 inches away to see if that fixes things. Will update shortly.

As an aside, I a thinking about buying a Harmony Remote to get rid of the issue...as others have in this forum.

UPDATE 2:

IR Sensor 31 inches away...reproduced the volume issue twice. Press volume up, and the volume goes down. It has to be the remote. In addition, hate aiming the remote lower than the Sensor...it's just not natural...and wife hates it!

Just ordered a Harmony Remote 950 (refurbished) on Amazon for $159...let's see it that fixes things...which I believe it will.

Update will follow...

Edited by drueb (01/22/18 11:45 AM)
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97655 - 01/22/18 12:46 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

"IR Sensor 31 inches away.."

Thats very close Drueb. The narrow crazy upfiring angle is more likely to miss. My efforts with this remote seemed to succeed more at a greater distance 10-12'. Closer i got, the worse the response success rate. Theres more going on here though. Ive had other remotes fail a command for various reasons, we all have, but ive never had a remote send a command that is counter to what im trying to do.
The volume up command that gets sent while you are pressing "Down" (and vise versa), is similar to an issue i repeatedly had where i was using the 5 way button "up" command, only to have it go "down".

Edited by kiwiaudio (01/22/18 12:47 PM)
Outlaw 976 Processor

#97656 - 01/22/18 01:27 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: kiwiaudio]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

"IR Sensor 31 inches away.."

Thats very close Drueb. The narrow crazy upfiring angle is more likely to miss. My efforts with this remote seemed to succeed more at a greater distance 10-12'. Closer i got, the worse the response success rate. Theres more going on here though. Ive had other remotes fail a command for various reasons, we all have, but ive never had a remote send a command that is counter to what im trying to do.
The volume up command that gets sent while you are pressing "Down" (and vise versa), is similar to an issue i repeatedly had where i was using the 5 way button "up" command, only to have it go "down".

I meant the Sensor was 31" away from the Plasma TV Screen...not from the remote...
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97658 - 01/22/18 04:28 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Oh ... got ya !
Incidentally, did any of your other remotes care about the plasma ?
Outlaw 976 Processor

#97660 - 01/22/18 06:02 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: kiwiaudio]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Oh ... got ya !
Incidentally, did any of your other remotes care about the plasma ?

NOPE! Never had an issue over the last 10 years of owning 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's...but this is the first time using an IR Repeater...

Edited by drueb (01/22/18 06:20 PM)
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97671 - 01/24/18 01:17 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

UPDATE:

976 Remote still having volume control issues...have not tried duplicating with Amp and TV off...but when time allows, will attempt it...

Received and set up, IR only devices, on my Harmony Remote 950. All turning on via "Activity" programming. So far, no volume issues...stay tuned...
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#97676 - 01/24/18 05:19 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

You wont have these issues with the Harmony 950 Drueb. Now you can put your IR receiver eye back where you prefer it. It was never your plasma !!
One of my Tvs is a 6 yr old plasma - never had a problem !

So far, the only reason i use the 976 remote is to access and navigate the OSD. I cannot seem to get the harmony to reliably do this, but it can, im sure. I just have to figure it out.

Tough for me to believe that only a small percentage of 976 sales are reporting remote issues. This is what Outlaw is saying. Are people just accepting the issues, or are they really just not having problems? Audio/Video philes are supposed to be a picky lot !

So few of us communicate in these forums though, most just read and suck up the efforts of others. Forum contributors like to help and offer insight.
Enough ranting Kiwi !!

Edited by kiwiaudio (01/24/18 05:23 PM)
Outlaw 976 Processor

#97679 - 01/25/18 12:50 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: kiwiaudio]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

You wont have these issues with the Harmony 950 Drueb. Now you can put your IR receiver eye back where you prefer it. It was never your plasma !!
One of my Tvs is a 6 yr old plasma - never had a problem !

So far, the only reason i use the 976 remote is to access and navigate the OSD. I cannot seem to get the harmony to reliably do this, but it can, im sure. I just have to figure it out.

Tough for me to believe that only a small percentage of 976 sales are reporting remote issues. This is what Outlaw is saying. Are people just accepting the issues, or are they really just not having problems? Audio/Video philes are supposed to be a picky lot !

So few of us communicate in these forums though, most just read and suck up the efforts of others. Forum contributors like to help and offer insight.
Enough ranting Kiwi !!

Ranting is welcome; Outlaw needs to address the remote issues. Maybe only a limited number of remotes have had issues. I continue to experience volume control issues and aiming issues...it's just not natural to aim a remote lower than the IR Sensor...Plain Silly!

SOLUTION: I suggest that Outlaw offer to replace the ones associated with complaints...AND ask for the old to be returned for research & testing.

As an aside, the refurbished 950 I got stopped working and entered into a continuous loop when I tried to switch activities. Then it suggested that I teach it TiVo commands it would not accept. Thanks to Amazon, it is on the way back, and a NEW one will be delivered today. The story of my life!

Edited by drueb (01/25/18 01:10 PM)
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#98249 - 12/12/18 06:39 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

UPDATE:

Harmony Remote works well with the additional IR Sensors in place. Over the last year...here are my issues with the Remote/976:

Remote: It's very sensitive, so when I pick it up, whatever my finger might touch on its touch-screen face, it begins to turn on that "Activity" event if I did not consciously choose that activity. Then, because the 976 has a 12 second delay in turning on, and being able to switch functions...I get all messed up, and have to turn everything off so I can start it all over. If only the 976 Remote had worked well...but the aim is so off, and with uncontrollable volume issues...I have to suffer. Wonder if the 976 Remote has been fixed?
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#98256 - 12/16/18 08:49 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Georgia, US of A!
UPDATE:

Still having volume control issues...press volume down, and it goes up. Not every time, about every 6th time.

my 976 Volume control intermittent too - up when I want down and vice versa. Interested in 3rd party solution, too

#98257 - 12/18/18 02:22 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

I'm also using the Harmony 650 remote to control the 976. I posted about the 976 remote about a year ago. The IR emitter is emitting slightly upward from the nose of the remote. That's just how it is for now. That's why you either need to aim a bit lower, or hold the remote in your hand so the buttons are facing either to the left or right. I've had great success doing just that. If the 976 doesn't "see" the beginning of the IR pulse, it can interpret the command as another function. I've seen this with many other remotes from time to time, back when I was involved in repairing many different brands. Of course, this is the first time I've ever noticed an IR emitter led not pointing straight out from the nose of the remote.
One thing I'm irritated about is, how long the 976 takes to turn on to an input. It's not 12 seconds, more like six to seven, but, I set my Harmony to the max delay for all of my activities. and it's still not a long enough delay. I'm always having to press the activity button again to switch the 976 to the right input.

Edited by Helson (12/18/18 02:27 PM)

#98275 - 12/31/18 10:06 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Today while attempting to lower the volume, the 976 shut off! Planning to buy a Harmony anyway as “Momma” getting fussy juggling remotes. Could this be the result of careless aiming or a “flaky” remote?

Edited by 975 destroyer (12/31/18 10:07 PM)

#98306 - 01/20/19 02:21 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Bought a Harmony 665 about a week ago from BB - love it! Though one time pressing the “arrow right” button shut down the system.

#98328 - 02/06/19 11:39 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
kiwiaudio Offline
Gunslinger

Seems everyone that has posted an issue with the remote has eventually bought a Harmony.
Not sure what i think about that. Such a small percentage of owners actually post anything at all. Do you suppose most just read these posts, find they also have a problem and buy harmony remotes? Or are we few the only ones who have ever found an issue ?
Outlaw 976 Processor

#98348 - 02/14/19 02:25 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Ehinton Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

This was the only issue I've had thus far with the 976. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one with the issue. Aside from the need to either be pointed directly at the unit or extremely close to the unit for IR to function,. I had the weird and almost disaterous occurrences of almost blowing my rc64ii since down decided it wanted to turn up and not stop until the dreaded 0.0db.

Needless to say I sent and email and it wasn't replied to. My emails are generally replied to.

My solution was to by Logitech ultimate Harmony one remote since best buy had it on sale for 70% off. Every qualm I had has been resolved. I can be anywhere in the room not even pointed at the unit and it works flawlessly.

So definitely a manufacturing defect. Glad it was not a defective unit, cause I can't live without it.

#98387 - 03/05/19 07:44 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
"Seems everyone that has posted an issue with the remote has eventually bought a Harmony.
Not sure what i think about that. Such a small percentage of owners actually post anything at all. Do you suppose most just read these posts, find they also have a problem and buy harmony remotes? Or are we few the only ones who have ever found an issue ? "

I have had my 976 for little over a month now. Remote drives me crazy.
So I buy a state of the art 976 I am told, but with a faulty remote and I am expected to replace the faulty remote by buying another one.
This does not sound like the Outlaw Audio I had known in years gone by...
I often wondered what happened to " Gonk " , I wonder no more...

#98388 - 03/06/19 12:02 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

I had a Harmony remote before the I got the 976, when I used it with my 975. So I just switched it over to the 976 when I upgraded.
I wanted a remote to control all of my devices. I did use the 975 remote for a long time before I finally got the Harmony.
With my equipment rack in the lower right corner of my room, I've had the processor on the second shelf from the top, and needed to point the 975 remote down towards that corner. I found with that remote I could turn the remote in my hand so that the buttons would face left or right, depending on which hand I held the remote in. It was much more effective using it that way.
I found the same held true for the 976 remote. Turning it in my hand so that the buttons face right or left, was much more effective in controlling the functions. This helped to alleviate having to make sure I aimed downward towards the display window. Hardly a problem when doing that.

Edited by Helson (03/08/19 01:49 PM)

#98420 - 03/14/19 01:05 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
christopher Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: glendale , arizona ,usa
I have a new 976 and the remote is flaky too . i can push the vol down and it enables or disables the eq and when i push menu for osd it quickly exits out

#98424 - 03/14/19 10:02 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

I blame the 976 remote for all those quirks.

So far I’m satisfied w/my Harmony 665. Upon system turn on/off doesn’t always “fire” the 976* but always works for shutdown.
* remote programmed w/975 codes

#98555 - 07/21/19 10:02 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

had my 976 for 5 months, more problems with remote as time goes by. I expect it to be useless in a few more months. Volume up or volume down, neither is responsive in the way it should be. Now I double click. it will go opposite the way I want on first click but second click it responds the correct way.
I push menu exit, it changes the setting in the menu I just changed , or, it decreases or increases volume. I have experenced many more problems with this ineffective remote, yet there is no set pattern as there is with volume or exit..

#98562 - 07/25/19 04:20 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Bill O]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Bill O
had my 976 for 5 months, more problems with remote as time goes by. I expect it to be useless in a few more months. Volume up or volume down, neither is responsive in the way it should be. Now I double click. it will go opposite the way I want on first click but second click it responds the correct way.
I push menu exit, it changes the setting in the menu I just changed , or, it decreases or increases volume. I have experenced many more problems with this ineffective remote, yet there is no set pattern as there is with volume or exit..

I see the Remote issue has not been fixed. Here's my post from 2 days after I received my 976 in December of 2017.

"Quirky Remote...last night while watching a number of Blu-ray movies and concerts, I noticed that when I pressed the volume up button on the remote, the volume actually went down. I pressed the same button again and it continued to go down. I then pressed the volume down button, and it continued to go down. Not sure what caused this, but this is probably the 3rd time it has happened over the last week. Thoughts on a fix for this intermittent problem?"

The aim is off, it shoots too high. I did get an IR Repeater and a Harmony Remote. But the Harmony has it's own issues. This should have been a simple fix for the Outlaws. I have a call in today to see if I can order a new remote (without the issue), but I doubt that any new remotes have been corrected based on your post. We will see.
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#98571 - 07/29/19 04:46 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Would like to know If they ever send you a remote to replace the junk remote that came with the 976.
I suspect there new business model is to do nothing they are not forced to do.
So sad ...

#98572 - 07/29/19 10:31 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

With the number of complaints on the forums about this remote I am surprised they haven't gotten into it a little bit more. Even with repeaters and various aiming fixes the remote seems to have a mind of its own. It feels like it is a software or firmware issue with the receiver itself in that it doesn't do what is expected.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#98573 - 07/29/19 11:22 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: XenonMan]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By XenonMan
It feels like it is a software or firmware issue with the receiver itself in that it doesn't do what is expected.
The remote IS the problem, not the 976.

My mid-line Harmony (665) takes care biz. My only Harmony issue: it won’t “fire*” the 976 on turn up regardless of Movies, Tv/cable, or music. The 665 WILL consistently shutdown my entire system with the press of one button.
* I use the 976 remote, my forefinger, or one of my kids.

Edited by 975 destroyer (07/29/19 11:24 AM)

#98576 - 07/29/19 06:35 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I am not sure the remote is the whole issue since many have reported having issues with aftermarket remotes too.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#98577 - 07/30/19 01:04 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

976 owners ONLY! Remote Poll:
Press 1 - Outlaw remote works fine

Press 2 - Outlaw remote flakey, seriously considering augmenting or replacing; see 3 or 4 below

Press 3 - satisfied utilizing some sort of third party device w/Outlaw remote: briefly make, model, & satisfaction level

Press 4 - satisfied* using aftermarket remote; Outlaw remote in end table drawer
* or unsatisfied

I see this thread is 8 pages and counting. I love my 976 w/ so many more* features* and types of audio** outputs. I like how the 976 remote feels in my hand. Unfortunately, the erratic volume control forced Third party service from Harmony. I can be careless where/how I point it and I’ve come to depend upon its volume buttons to work correctly always.
* compared the the 975 not to mention improved SQ
** balanced & unbalanced for all

Thnx Tony

Edited by 975 destroyer (07/30/19 01:06 PM)

#98578 - 07/30/19 04:29 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Bill O]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Would like to know If they ever send you a remote to replace the junk remote that came with the 976.
So sad ...

Not a word from Outlaw...
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#98579 - 07/30/19 04:31 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: 975 destroyer]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

So sad ...

Not a word from Outlaw...
Originally Posted By 975 destroyer
976 owners ONLY! Remote Poll:
Press 1 - Outlaw remote works fine

Press 2 - Outlaw remote flakey, seriously considering augmenting or replacing; see 3 or 4 below

Press 3 - satisfied utilizing some sort of third party device w/Outlaw remote: briefly make, model, & satisfaction level

Press 4 - satisfied* using aftermarket remote; Outlaw remote in end table drawer
* or unsatisfied

I see this thread is 8 pages and counting. I love my 976 w/ so many more* features* and types of audio** outputs. I like how the 976 remote feels in my hand. Unfortunately, the erratic volume control forced Third party service from Harmony. I can be careless where/how I point it and I’ve come to depend upon its volume buttons to work correctly always.
* compared the the 975 not to mention improved SQ
** balanced & unbalanced for all

Thnx Tony

Same thoughts here...Harmony is the only resolution. I tried the original remote again...same issues erratic volume commands all over the place.
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#98580 - 07/31/19 01:39 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Bill O]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Not sure I understand why you would expect it to be "useless in a few more months" Most remotes, over time, will have the more frequently used buttons wear out, like the volume up and down. They usually don't fail altogether over a period of time. Sometimes they do. But this is rare.
In all the devices I've ever used, its a short learning curve to figure out any quirky functionality that may exist.
For the 976 remote, I posted earlier in this thread that I figured out I needed to aim the remote slightly downward towards the 976, or I turned the remote in my hand so the buttons faced either left or right depending on which hand I held the remote in.
When you mention "there is no set pattern", there actually is. I also mentioned earlier in this thread, if the 976 IR sensor misses the initial IR pulse, the command can be misinterpreted. Such as controlling volume down instead of up, and vise versa.
The set pattern, IMHO, is the jostling of your hand when pressing the buttons. I duplicated this back when someone first reported it in this thread. Not sure if that was you.
Is the 976 remote limited in its IR range? Yes. But, this can be compensated for, and its a short learning curve to becoming adept at using it.

#98600 - 08/20/19 03:41 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

UPDATE: Ben allowed me to trade in my old remote for a new one. He wanted to research the issues I was having with mine. And, I have, so far, had no issues with the new one. Will update later if anything changes. Shout out to Ben for making the effort!
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#98648 - 10/08/19 05:26 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

UPDATE: Ben allowed me to trade in my old remote for a new one. He wanted to research the issues I was having with mine. And, I have, so far, had no issues with the new one. Will update later if anything changes. Shout out to Ben for making the effort!

UPDATE 2: Same issues with this remote. Mainly the volume control, if used sparingly & sporadically over time, no issues. If used to turn the volume up and down several times in a very short time span, say a minute, or minute and a half, the volume will go up when pushing the volume down button. If I wait for maybe 30 seconds, the volume up & down will function normally again.
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables

#99001 - 09/28/20 07:38 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
earnerd00 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Really glad I came across this thread and wanted to share my experience with my 976 remotes.

My remote was replaced right around the time I purchased my AVR (976). The Outlaws tell me they could not find an issue with that remote, but I was pleased they swapped it out for me. But the "new" remote was not without issues and I submitted a service request to Outlaw a few weeks later. I was told that the damage with that remote could have only been caused by a drop -- but the remote was never dropped. I recall having to take videos of the remote not working and felt like I had to PROVE to them that I was not making up what I was reporting.

Anyways, the replaced remote recently started acting up, so I contacted Outlaw support. They agreed to look at the device, but "after spending a couple of days testing your 976 remote, we can find no issues with it." They then wanted me to pay them for evaluating the device and also pay the return shipping. I emailed the Outlaws back to make it clear that I was not purposely sending them a working remotes over the last 2 years to waste our time and asked if they could waive the fee and shipping this time around. I felt this request was fair considering a seperate customer service experience mistake that was committed on their behalf. They obliged, but notified me (quite rudely) that any additional issues with this remote will not be fixed under warranty.

The real kicker? The remote I got back has a host of other issues. So like many others, I am looking to an aftermarket remote.

It's really unfortunate that these guys take limited accountability for their product -- just look at this thread! I am feeling validated in my observations of this remote (i.e., that it's junk) after customer service experiences that ended in Outlaw telling me most recently that the mulitple sets of batteries I was using must be defective -- or that maybe I was putting in those batteries the wrong way because their testing revealed no issues with the remote. Well if mine (and it appears many others) remotes are all passing Outlaws tests, the testing either does not reveal (or isn't sensitive enough to) the issue or that there is a bigger issue at hand (defect in the units themselves?). To me the later seems less plausible if people are having success with after market remotes.

#99005 - 09/30/20 11:35 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: earnerd00]
Outlaw Jim Offline
Gunslinger

Hello EarNerd,
It’s true we swapped out your initial remote, with no questions asked. That’s what we do within our 30 day trial period. Only after the third time you reported an issue with your remote, including the second one you received, did we report to you that we could find no issues with your initial remote that you reported not having any backlight or functionality, or the most recent one that you again reported as having no backlight or functionality.
We offered you a recap of the reported issues, noting the two times we could find no issues with the remote’s functionality. The other repair event was where the remote was observed to be visibly dinged in several places on the aluminum face due to what we could only describe as having been dropped. The MCU chip inside was blown with a visible hole through it. We've never observed this condition with any other remote. We replaced the internal circuit board for the remote under warranty, nonetheless. That’s when we asked, what type of batteries were you using? Or, maybe the drop compromised the circuitry? You never responded to our questions.
The latest remote you sent in for evaluation, was tested for four days. As I stated, you reported again that you had no backlight or functionality. Thus, the re-cap of your previous remote experiences, and a suggestion that you must be doing something to result in what you’ve reported. Such as, installing the batteries improperly, or perhaps the batteries were defective. You didn’t respond to these statements either. You also never contended at the time, that your remote hadn’t incurred an impact of any kind.
The only thing you responded to was being informed of the most recent, no issues found, pending evaluation fee and return shipping cost.
You did bring up a point that was taken into consideration and prompted us to waive the pending fees.
You’ve abstained from having a conversation with us about your remotes, on several occasions, but have now posted your dissatisfaction here. Your reported experiences are not similar to what others reported here for various functionality issues. Now you report “a host of other issues” with your remote, on this thread. But this is not long after we tested it for 4 days without issue. But as I stated, you chose not to reply to any of our questions or statements.
Regards,

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM