Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#98580 - 07/31/19 01:39 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: Bill O]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Not sure I understand why you would expect it to be "useless in a few more months" Most remotes, over time, will have the more frequently used buttons wear out, like the volume up and down. They usually don't fail altogether over a period of time. Sometimes they do. But this is rare.
In all the devices I've ever used, its a short learning curve to figure out any quirky functionality that may exist.
For the 976 remote, I posted earlier in this thread that I figured out I needed to aim the remote slightly downward towards the 976, or I turned the remote in my hand so the buttons faced either left or right depending on which hand I held the remote in.
When you mention "there is no set pattern", there actually is. I also mentioned earlier in this thread, if the 976 IR sensor misses the initial IR pulse, the command can be misinterpreted. Such as controlling volume down instead of up, and vise versa.
The set pattern, IMHO, is the jostling of your hand when pressing the buttons. I duplicated this back when someone first reported it in this thread. Not sure if that was you.
Is the 976 remote limited in its IR range? Yes. But, this can be compensated for, and its a short learning curve to becoming adept at using it.

#98600 - 08/20/19 03:41 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
UPDATE: Ben allowed me to trade in my old remote for a new one. He wanted to research the issues I was having with mine. And, I have, so far, had no issues with the new one. Will update later if anything changes. Shout out to Ben for making the effort!
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Polk 265RT 3 Way Surrounds (in wall)
Sony Bravia 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED TV
Panasonic DP-UB820-K 4K Player
Technics SL 1210 GR (2019)
Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk - Phono Preamp
Ortofon Bronze 2M; Ortofon Headshell;Emmeline Nighthawk Phono Pre-Amp by Ray Sammuels
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables
Drop THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp
Blue Jeans Speaker Cable Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP (Front L&R and Center)
Blue Jeans Interconnects LC-1's

#98648 - 10/08/19 05:26 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: drueb]
drueb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By drueb
UPDATE: Ben allowed me to trade in my old remote for a new one. He wanted to research the issues I was having with mine. And, I have, so far, had no issues with the new one. Will update later if anything changes. Shout out to Ben for making the effort!

UPDATE 2: Same issues with this remote. Mainly the volume control, if used sparingly & sporadically over time, no issues. If used to turn the volume up and down several times in a very short time span, say a minute, or minute and a half, the volume will go up when pushing the volume down button. If I wait for maybe 30 seconds, the volume up & down will function normally again.
JBL Studio 520C Center
2 JBL Sub 550P
Polk 265RT 3 Way Surrounds (in wall)
Sony Bravia 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED TV
Panasonic DP-UB820-K 4K Player
Technics SL 1210 GR (2019)
Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk - Phono Preamp
Ortofon Bronze 2M; Ortofon Headshell;Emmeline Nighthawk Phono Pre-Amp by Ray Sammuels
Schitt Loki
Wire World RCA Cables
Drop THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp
Blue Jeans Speaker Cable Belden 10-gauge 5T00UP (Front L&R and Center)
Blue Jeans Interconnects LC-1's

#99001 - 09/28/20 07:38 PM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: J.S.]
earnerd00 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Really glad I came across this thread and wanted to share my experience with my 976 remotes.

My remote was replaced right around the time I purchased my AVR (976). The Outlaws tell me they could not find an issue with that remote, but I was pleased they swapped it out for me. But the "new" remote was not without issues and I submitted a service request to Outlaw a few weeks later. I was told that the damage with that remote could have only been caused by a drop -- but the remote was never dropped. I recall having to take videos of the remote not working and felt like I had to PROVE to them that I was not making up what I was reporting.

Anyways, the replaced remote recently started acting up, so I contacted Outlaw support. They agreed to look at the device, but "after spending a couple of days testing your 976 remote, we can find no issues with it." They then wanted me to pay them for evaluating the device and also pay the return shipping. I emailed the Outlaws back to make it clear that I was not purposely sending them a working remotes over the last 2 years to waste our time and asked if they could waive the fee and shipping this time around. I felt this request was fair considering a seperate customer service experience mistake that was committed on their behalf. They obliged, but notified me (quite rudely) that any additional issues with this remote will not be fixed under warranty.

The real kicker? The remote I got back has a host of other issues. So like many others, I am looking to an aftermarket remote.

It's really unfortunate that these guys take limited accountability for their product -- just look at this thread! I am feeling validated in my observations of this remote (i.e., that it's junk) after customer service experiences that ended in Outlaw telling me most recently that the mulitple sets of batteries I was using must be defective -- or that maybe I was putting in those batteries the wrong way because their testing revealed no issues with the remote. Well if mine (and it appears many others) remotes are all passing Outlaws tests, the testing either does not reveal (or isn't sensitive enough to) the issue or that there is a bigger issue at hand (defect in the units themselves?). To me the later seems less plausible if people are having success with after market remotes.

#99005 - 09/30/20 11:35 AM Re: Flakey remote? [Re: earnerd00]
Outlaw Jim Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Hello EarNerd,
It’s true we swapped out your initial remote, with no questions asked. That’s what we do within our 30 day trial period. Only after the third time you reported an issue with your remote, including the second one you received, did we report to you that we could find no issues with your initial remote that you reported not having any backlight or functionality, or the most recent one that you again reported as having no backlight or functionality.
We offered you a recap of the reported issues, noting the two times we could find no issues with the remote’s functionality. The other repair event was where the remote was observed to be visibly dinged in several places on the aluminum face due to what we could only describe as having been dropped. The MCU chip inside was blown with a visible hole through it. We've never observed this condition with any other remote. We replaced the internal circuit board for the remote under warranty, nonetheless. That’s when we asked, what type of batteries were you using? Or, maybe the drop compromised the circuitry? You never responded to our questions.
The latest remote you sent in for evaluation, was tested for four days. As I stated, you reported again that you had no backlight or functionality. Thus, the re-cap of your previous remote experiences, and a suggestion that you must be doing something to result in what you’ve reported. Such as, installing the batteries improperly, or perhaps the batteries were defective. You didn’t respond to these statements either. You also never contended at the time, that your remote hadn’t incurred an impact of any kind.
The only thing you responded to was being informed of the most recent, no issues found, pending evaluation fee and return shipping cost.
You did bring up a point that was taken into consideration and prompted us to waive the pending fees.
You’ve abstained from having a conversation with us about your remotes, on several occasions, but have now posted your dissatisfaction here. Your reported experiences are not similar to what others reported here for various functionality issues. Now you report “a host of other issues” with your remote, on this thread. But this is not long after we tested it for 4 days without issue. But as I stated, you chose not to reply to any of our questions or statements.
Regards,

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts