Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 13 of 33 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 32 33 >
Topic Options
#96957 - 10/09/17 03:18 PM Re: Model 976 - myth or real? [Re: ppellegrini]
casey01 Offline
Gunslinger

I was curious to see that in the announcement there was no mention of the more advanced Dolby Atmos/DTS-X Pre-Pro that was originally scheduled for arrival around the same time the 976 is now going to going to become available. Since I am more interested in that model, any updates on that?

#96958 - 10/09/17 04:41 PM Re: Model 976 - myth or real? [Re: renov8r]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By renov8r
Always hard to assess what expenditure is the “next logical step” for an AV system...
Definitive Technology has several tiers of speakers at different price points, several of which would be extremely hard to say are “inferior” to similarly priced options from companies like Ascend Acoustics...

Depending upon current rcvr or prepro & amp the 976 and appropriate Outlaw amp might be more of a “step-up”...

I have Def Tech SM 65 LCR and SM 55 surrounds. I wanted to move on to Ascend Sierra 2's LCR and Sierra Luna surrounds. They have the famous RAAL Ribbon tweeter.

#96959 - 10/10/17 11:16 AM Re: Model 976 - myth or real? [Re: J.H.]
Cadboy64 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Near Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By J.H.
Wow getting close. I was dead set on getting one, but I'm kinda thinking of starting to upgrade my speakers from Def Tech to Ascend Acoustics. That has NOTHING to do with the delay. I wasn't buying till December anyway. Just something I got in my head to upgrade speakers to much more high end. What to do?

Having owned Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2's since they were released I have not had the urge to "Upgrade". They are that stinkin' good. The only upgrade that ever enters my head would be moving to the Sierra towers W/RAAL tweeters, but I am not in any hurry to replace the Sierra-2's.

Having said that, I've never owned Def Tech but have heard those that have gone from them to Ascend have been very happy. YMMV.

#96961 - 10/10/17 05:43 PM Re: Model 976 - myth or real? [Re: Cadboy64]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By Cadboy64
Originally Posted By J.H.
Wow getting close. I was dead set on getting one, but I'm kinda thinking of starting to upgrade my speakers from Def Tech to Ascend Acoustics. That has NOTHING to do with the delay. I wasn't buying till December anyway. Just something I got in my head to upgrade speakers to much more high end. What to do?

Having owned Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2's since they were released I have not had the urge to "Upgrade". They are that stinkin' good. The only upgrade that ever enters my head would be moving to the Sierra towers W/RAAL tweeters, but I am not in any hurry to replace the Sierra-2's.

Having said that, I've never owned Def Tech but have heard those that have gone from them to Ascend have been very happy. YMMV.

That is what I keep hearing. Man I gotta get those Sierra 2's!

#96965 - 10/12/17 10:30 AM Re: Model 976 - myth or real? [Re: ppellegrini]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I wonder if they'll be including HDMI 2.1 now. I imagine that'll definitely be in the flagship model (next year?) but could it be a little something extra added to the 976, too? The initial release cited HDMI 2.0a and a followup later on updated it to HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2. With the final 2.1 spec locked in earlier this year, maybe they took advantage of the delay and will be incorporating it. That'd be a nice bit of future proofing and a definite selling point for their new processor.

#96968 - 10/12/17 03:59 PM Re: Model 976 - myth or real? [Re: ppellegrini]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seneca, SC
I hope they are not waiting for HDMI 2.1 on the 976. All of the HDMI 2's give us HDCP 2.2 to get the handshaking right. HDMI 2.0 gave us 4K at 60 Hz, then 2.0a piled on with HDR. V 2.0b tweak escapes me at the moment, but HDMI 2.1 adding up to 10K resolution (horizontal) at 120 Hz is a total "gilding the lily" (for the old audio guys out there), and certainly not relevant in the home environment. Yes, we all like pushing it to the edge, but I would guess most of our budgets will not handle 8K. Besides, doesn't 8K only exist in Japan at Sony and in their "buds" labs at the super-TV network, and at RED for the movie world. I have not looked, but I must assume there are no over-the-counter HDMI 2.1 interface or signal processing chips available with the bugs all rung out -- just guessing -- and certainly not for a consumer gear cost point. A 976 with HDMI 2.0b should be compatible with all current LCD panels and projectors available until late 2019. If the 'laws are going to kick 976's out for $899, I would not expect HDMI 2.1. Maybe we will see it in the coming Outlaws hot-dog box during 2019 sometime, but for the real world in the next few weeks so we can start slamming on the credit card to get a complete "single" 4K chain - finally --- forget it -- just saying. 976 -- next week -- please -- Thank You.

#96969 - 10/12/17 09:31 PM Re: Model 976 - myth or real? [Re: ppellegrini]
fallout Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

HDMI 2.1 will be able to carry dynamic metadata for HDR10+. Wouldn't that be worth it? I have read HDMI 2.1 is coming in 2018.

#96970 - 10/13/17 09:06 AM Re: Model 976 - myth or real? [Re: ppellegrini]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Wasn't it Fahrenheit 451 where each whole wall of the room was a TV screen giving 360 degree video? It seems we're rapidly approaching this practical size limit for TVs. Once your TV is bigger than the wall you want to put it on you're in trouble.
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#96972 - 10/13/17 09:56 AM Re: Model 976 - myth or real? [Re: JDB001]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Originally Posted By JDB001
I hope they are not waiting for HDMI 2.1 on the 976. All of the HDMI 2's give us HDCP 2.2 to get the handshaking right. HDMI 2.0 gave us 4K at 60 Hz, then 2.0a piled on with HDR. V 2.0b tweak escapes me at the moment, but HDMI 2.1 adding up to 10K resolution (horizontal) at 120 Hz is a total "gilding the lily" (for the old audio guys out there), and certainly not relevant in the home environment. Yes, we all like pushing it to the edge, but I would guess most of our budgets will not handle 8K. Besides, doesn't 8K only exist in Japan at Sony and in their "buds" labs at the super-TV network, and at RED for the movie world. I have not looked, but I must assume there are no over-the-counter HDMI 2.1 interface or signal processing chips available with the bugs all rung out -- just guessing -- and certainly not for a consumer gear cost point. A 976 with HDMI 2.0b should be compatible with all current LCD panels and projectors available until late 2019. If the 'laws are going to kick 976's out for $899, I would not expect HDMI 2.1. Maybe we will see it in the coming Outlaws hot-dog box during 2019 sometime, but for the real world in the next few weeks so we can start slamming on the credit card to get a complete "single" 4K chain - finally --- forget it -- just saying. 976 -- next week -- please -- Thank You.

You're likely right. I was just wondering about it and thought it might be a nice feather in their cap to be able to provide ahead of most of the curve at an affordable price. I wouldn't pretend to even begin knowing what would be involved in such an effort, though.

#96973 - 10/13/17 04:40 PM Re: Model 976 - myth or real? [Re: ppellegrini]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
HDMI 2.0b is the current "latest and greatest" -- the major issue is that the inclusion of "Hybrid Log Gamma" info -- https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-hdmi-2-0b/

The "big deal" with HLG is that it allows for LIVE HDR content which is what will be needed for things like SPORTS, though given the fact that pretty much EVERY sporting event since TV has been around is massively saturated in artificial lighting I wonder if this is a misguided effort... http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/hybrid-log-gamma-what-is-it-2947378 That being said since HLG is an official ATSC standard it is important -- http://www.wow.com/wiki/Hybrid_Log-Gamma

Don't confuse HDMI 2.1 (which is on the horizon) for HDCP 2.2 -- basically the copy protection scheme has been around long enough (four years??) that it too is the current standard BUT there is a looming revision that could be called HDCP 2.3 -- https://www.digital-cp.com/sites/default...erReview_v1.pdf

Page 13 of 33 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 32 33 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts