Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#96939 - 10/05/17 03:40 PM Well isn't this interesting...
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
Outstanding value on the 7703 -- http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/av7703.html

Features of the 7704 are quite similar...

• 4K HDCP 2.2
• Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built in
• Dolby Atmos
• Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio
• 13.2 ch preout (XLR 11.2) with 11.2 ch processing
• Current Feedback circuitry with Marantz’s new HDAM
• Audyssey MultEQ XT32, LFC, Sub EQ HT, Pro ready
• 7+1 HDMI in / 3 out (4:4:4, 3D, ARC, Deep Color)
• HDMI scaling
• MP3, WAV, AAC, WMA, AIFF
• HD Audio streaming: FLAC 192/24, DSD, ALAC
• Gapless Playback
• Spotify Connect*, Pandora*, SiriusXM*, Flickr, and Internet Radio
• Phono (MM) input
• Setup Assistant and advanced GUI
• Big trapdoor design; Aluminum front panel
• Marantz Remote App for iOS® and Android® devices
• ECO mode

VS
• 4K HDCP 2.2
• Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built in
• Dolby Atmos, DTS: X, Auro-3D
HDMI eARC via future firmware
• Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio
• 13.2 ch preout (XLR 11.2) with 11.2 ch processing
• Current Feedback circuitry with Marantz’s new HDAM
• Audyssey MultEQ XT32, LFC, Sub EQ HT, Pro ready
• 7+1 HDMI in / 3 out (4:4:4, 3D, ARC, Deep Color)
• HDMI scaling
Alexa Voice Commands
• MP3, WAV, AAC, WMA, AIFF
• HD Audio streaming: FLAC 192/24, DSD, ALAC
• Gapless Playback
• Spotify Connect*, Pandora*, SiriusXM*, Flickr, and Internet Radio
• Phono (MM) input
• Setup Assistant and advanced GUI
• Big trapdoor design; Aluminum front panel
• Marantz Remote App for iOS® and Android® devices
• ECO mode

#96942 - 10/06/17 01:51 AM Re: Well isn't this interesting... [Re: renov8r]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Clearing inventory due to the imminent arrival of the 976?

#96943 - 10/06/17 06:57 AM Re: Well isn't this interesting... [Re: AvFan]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Originally Posted By AvFan
Clearing inventory due to the imminent arrival of the 976?

That's my guess. Need to make room in the warehouse and also generate a little positive cash flow to pay for the new goodies.

Seems to be a typical tactic for Outlaw. As I recall, I picked up my Ultra X-12 on sale shortly before the Ultra X-13 hit the shelves.
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#96944 - 10/06/17 09:51 AM Re: Well isn't this interesting... [Re: renov8r]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
It looks more to me like they are going to clear out the 7703s to continue selling an alternative to their flagship processor. The 7703/4 are really more similar to the not yet named Phoenix processor which has Atmos and DTSx than they are to the 976, which does not. This doesn't seem to bode well for the flagship Phoenix. Although the Phoenix will likely be significantly cheaper than the 7704, the 7703 is currently about the same desired price point as the Phoenix, with all of the bells and whistles. Years ago I bought the Onkyo PR-SC886 while waiting for the 997/998/978 to be built and it has been everything I need since. Outlaw services it the same as they do their products and with that great service it can't be beat. If I had to get a new processor the 7703 right now is unchallenged for value and features. I wouldn't even need to buy amps to support the 11 channels.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#96946 - 10/06/17 01:14 PM Re: Well isn't this interesting... [Re: renov8r]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I don't see the decision to reduce the price of the 7703 as anything other than normal "market dynamics" -- other online retailers are offering the same deals! Outlaw has to compete.

The decision to offer the 7704 is similarly "just business" -- Marantz certainly wants all its authorized retailers to promote its new models. The Marantz solutions are, frankly EXCELLENT.

Is it fun to "read the tea leaves"? Sure. I seem to recall that even when Outlaw was offering their own "flagship" level pre-pro with all the nice-to-have options like XLR outputs, state-of-the-art codecs, automated setup, etc they STILL were offering Marantz gear alongside for folks who wanted a "brand name" pre-pro in front of Outlaw amps... As I recall they even had a special "here is the insider's way to get the most out of the Marantz" setup guide / supplemental manual...

My gut says that the "Phoenix" is still in the "more than prototype but far from finalized" state. Things like the suitability of having automated room correction and how flexible the options are for re-assigning processing channels for object based processing in the "main theater" vs temporarily using them for additional whole house zones are probably the kinds of options being considered. If the "lessons learned" from the 976 delays and prior rounds of development are fully leveraged MAYBE the next Outlaw flagship will happen "sooner than later"...

Edited by renov8r (10/06/17 01:16 PM)

#96948 - 10/07/17 10:23 AM Re: Well isn't this interesting... [Re: renov8r]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By renov8r
I don't see the decision to reduce the price of the 7703 as anything other than normal "market dynamics" -- other online retailers are offering the same deals! Outlaw has to compete.

The decision to offer the 7704 is similarly "just business" -- Marantz certainly wants all its authorized retailers to promote its new models. The Marantz solutions are, frankly EXCELLENT.

Is it fun to "read the tea leaves"? Sure. I seem to recall that even when Outlaw was offering their own "flagship" level pre-pro with all the nice-to-have options like XLR outputs, state-of-the-art codecs, automated setup, etc they STILL were offering Marantz gear alongside for folks who wanted a "brand name" pre-pro in front of Outlaw amps... As I recall they even had a special "here is the insider's way to get the most out of the Marantz" setup guide / supplemental manual...

My gut says that the "Phoenix" is still in the "more than prototype but far from finalized" state. Things like the suitability of having automated room correction and how flexible the options are for re-assigning processing channels for object based processing in the "main theater" vs temporarily using them for additional whole house zones are probably the kinds of options being considered. If the "lessons learned" from the 976 delays and prior rounds of development are fully leveraged MAYBE the next Outlaw flagship will happen "sooner than later"...

I took this excerpt from the January 2017 update, so it appears they are still working on the object based processor..."As we’ve been reporting, work on a Dolby Atmos/DTS-X processor has been ongoing; however, we encountered unavoidable delays with the availability of software elements for object-based formats. We then decided to take advantage of the significant engineering effort behind this platform and apply it to an all-new, high performance, more affordable processor.

It is important to keep in mind that this new product DOES NOT replace our object-based processor. Rather, it allows us to utilize a single architecture so that we are able to offer one model now, followed by the Atmos/DTS-X model later this year based on an already solid design foundation."

Who's Online
0 registered (), 122 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts