Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#9692 - 10/11/07 08:45 PM Re: More Oil for the Snake
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
I looked briefly at this latest, er, product (cough) from Machina Dynamica and I'm wondering... aren't there FTC regulations that prohibit this sort of BS? I understand we all need to keep in mind "caveat emptor," but this borders on obscene scam.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#9693 - 10/11/07 09:12 PM Re: More Oil for the Snake
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Problem is you'd need a lot of time and money to even begin the process of proving their claims to be a sham. I'm sure that you can't just send a message to the FTC that someone's claims are bogus you probably have to show some form of proof.

Or you can try and see where it goes. But I'm guessing that you'd actually have to buy their products in order to debunk them, which would be counterproductive to say the least.

It's almost like they are set up as a complete joke aimed at the audiophile industry, where you can find people willing to believe just about anything.

I would like to know how much money they are making on their stuff. Obviously, not enough to pay for a real web developer...then again spending more than bare minimum on the business would probably be counter to their goals.

It's a great business model. Buy cheap items and resell them at great margins...never mind that your claims for the products are completely bogus.

#9694 - 10/11/07 09:33 PM Re: More Oil for the Snake
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
Sorry to ruin your game like that, but I had to perform a cleansing ritual after reading that tripe, and passing it on is part of the cleansing.
I find your mental housekeeping processes disturbing... wink

#9695 - 10/11/07 10:17 PM Re: More Oil for the Snake
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Heh you mean the stream of consciousness that I dumped into the reply?

Or the fact that I think it's a great if highly unethical business model?

If I could make millions selling dubiously marketed products to people who could afford them, would I? The fact that I'm not speaks volumes...although it would keep me in Outlaw gear for the rest of my life. smile

No, while I find their business model interesting, I'm a much greater fan of places like Oppo, BlueJeans Cables and Outlaws that try to give people actual value for their money without a lot of nonsense.

#9696 - 10/11/07 11:08 PM Re: More Oil for the Snake
gonk Offline
Desperado

I was posting in reply to charlie's last comment, actually. My afternoon was busy enough that the delay between loading the page and posting a reply was at least an hour. smile

#9697 - 10/11/07 11:16 PM Re: More Oil for the Snake
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Ahh...thanks for clearing up the confusion.

#9698 - 10/12/07 02:37 AM Re: More Oil for the Snake
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Umm…pardon the non-techie guy here, but isn't the Machina Dynamica stuff done with tongue firmly in cheek? Over on Audiogon, Geoff-whatever-his-name-is is advertising a component base/stand which is basically two pieces of wood with a couple of springs attached. The joke is that the buyer has to have already purchased the wood. Call me naive, but I can't imagine anyone would fall for that.

#9699 - 10/12/07 03:43 AM Re: More Oil for the Snake
gonk Offline
Desperado

Alas, Geoff is apparently quite a serious businessman, and he would seem to sell a fairly decent volume of products. The isolation base is actually quite a reasonable deal compared to some other products available for sale at MD.

#9700 - 10/12/07 11:52 AM Re: More Oil for the Snake
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
hummm...serious businessman or a businessman taking himself too seriously....
one thing for sure....that kind of business can only be run long-distance(on-line or mail order)...one would think the nose and jaw reconstruction costs would gobble up any profit margin....
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#9701 - 10/12/07 05:16 PM Re: More Oil for the Snake
charlie Offline
Desperado

I have no idea what's up with MD but I have a fantasy where it's a guy who wanted to create useful Hi-Fi trinkets but after a bit of market examination concluded that there was no way for a rational small business to make nearly as much money as a snake-oil sales organization. Faced with that realization he then created a business where he would only be taking money from those who were fairly determined to be fleeced.

Unlike the marketers of cables and green pens he makes claims that are so clearly ridiculous that only those with a lot more money than sense would bite. Thus perhaps he is in fact the most honest of all this sort of marketeer.

Maybe.

I hope.

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I find your mental housekeeping processes disturbing... wink
Yeah, I get that a lot. smile

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM