Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#96346 - 02/10/17 01:49 PM Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
Is there someone who could do before and after REW sweeps of an automated correction set up? I am interested in seeing the graphs to get a feel for what is considered a good result.

I had the opportunity to ask Ben a few questions about how PEQ had been implemented. The PEQ in the 976 will be 10 bands per channel including both sub outs. Adjustable centers as well as adjustable for band width and slope.

Using something like REW to use as a guide there should be more than enough adjustment to solve most room issues.

I am in the same boat as Xenon with hearing loss so do not even bother with trying to set systems by ear. We have free tools available to assist with adjustments so I see no good reason for not using them.

I have no doubt setting a 7.2 system will be more involved than dialing in a 2 channel system. Question is how much more involved?

#96347 - 02/10/17 03:21 PM Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

10 Band PEQ, center frequency, Q (for your width), as well as Gain. Independent EQ for all 7 channels plus the sub channel.

#96349 - 02/10/17 05:53 PM Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

That is independent for each sub channel, correct?

Hello Ben. If you read this could you cover the method of connecting a pc running REW. You had told me over the phone but thought others might be interested.

#96350 - 02/10/17 06:33 PM Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

Because bass frequencies are not directional like higher frequencies, and the fact that the sub and LFE tracks are mono, this is treated as one channel. The EQ will treat it as the same. Both subwoofers will be pumping out your test tone and because they are not directional, or stereo, you will EQ them as one channel to provide room correction at the listening position.

I suspect most people, rather than buy an interface, will want to connect either their computer's headphone or line level output directly to the Model 976's analog 7.1 channels - one at a time and then run REW from their computer through the Model 976 to correct each speaker.

Also, rather than buy a mic pre, you could use a USB mic hooked directly to your computer to interface with REW. REW's EQ window will then let us see what filters you need to apply to address any problems you have.

REW's database is pretty good if you are interested in delving into this before the product is released: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help.html
I think you might find #5 and #32 helpful.

#96365 - 02/14/17 09:36 AM Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

When the 976 runs its levels/distances/phase adjustments will it adjust for phase on each sub channel?

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse here just trying to get a few things clear in my own head. We run our sub on a side wall firing across the room. When we moved, the sub went to the other side of the room with poor results. After posting here it was suggested to try flipping the phase switch on the back of the sub (cheap sub). Adjusting the phase corrected the issue.

If we had a sub on each side wall I can see where it could be necessary for the phase setting to be different for each cabinet. Could something like this be an issue or is my thinking on this wrong?

#96367 - 02/15/17 04:34 PM Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 [Re: Stephen B]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Stephen B
When the 976 runs its levels/distances/phase adjustments will it adjust for phase on each sub channel?...
If we had a sub on each side wall I can see where it could be necessary for the phase setting to be different for each cabinet. Could something like this be an issue or is my thinking on this wrong?

I'm guessing the levels and distances would be set and the phase would be a check of proper polarity on the speaker wiring, plus the phase switch position on the sub(s). You might need to run the set up one time for each separate sub if that's the case.

#96368 - 02/16/17 06:41 AM Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Helson. After reading Ben's post I was just looking for clarification. As long as we get a visual of what correction the 976 has applied getting the subs set should not be difficult.

If I have this right I would run the set up with a single sub letting the 976 make corrections for both levels and any necessary phase adjustment for the sub channel. After making note of the sub channel settings run set up again with the second sub. If the applied correction differs from the first sub then using the controls on the subs make manual adjustments to even the levels and adjust phase if necessary.

I am sure I am making this sound more difficult than it will be in practice. The Outlaws should send a few of us units so we can callaborate on best methods of set up. Hint, Hint

#96369 - 02/16/17 12:26 PM Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Oh I'd love to get be part of that collaboration, Stephen B! cool

#96371 - 02/16/17 12:44 PM Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

I would love to get my hands on one. As we run a simple 3.1 I doubt they would consider us demo worthy.

#96372 - 02/16/17 06:05 PM Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I think they'd like to get input across a range of setups. They'll want to know how smaller systems perform along with more elaborate configurations. Plus, it's not just about the speakers you're using. They'll also want to test various input component types, too.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts