Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >
Topic Options
#96303 - 02/01/17 11:11 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
Though not automated the 976 does seem to offer some room correction.

We do not know much at this point but the 10 band PEQ is something I find interesting.

#96304 - 02/01/17 09:04 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
LCSeminole Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North Florida Gulf Coast
For those of you not familiar with P-EQ, try checking out the REW software made available free through HomeTheaterShack. You will be amazed at what it can do with a properly calibrated microphone, like the miniDSP UMIK-1. As for the 976 being a "completely new product", it looks like an updated Fortex JZ-038S?

Edited by LCSeminole (02/01/17 09:18 PM)

#96305 - 02/02/17 12:26 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
admin Offline

Gunslinger

LCSeminole: As a leading moderator of the Emotiva Lounge, the contents of your post are not surprising, other than that you are posting them in "our" Saloon. We hope in the future, Emotiva welcomes our posts in "their" Lounge.

As virtually all companies in our market do, (including Emotiva using ODMs Tonewinner and Jade), we use external ODM firms that present us with footprints of a basic design. While the starting point and the "outside" of a product may resemble something that was offered to others, the "insides" are designed and tested by us.

You asked about the similarity of the forthcoming Model 976 to an old OEM prototype. Here are just a few differences:
• The video board, the critical component of any processor, is 100% ours. It was designed by Outlaw. A look at the pictures of both units confirms this. It is our design, and ours, alone; including HDMI 2.0b capability
• The audio board is also an Outlaw design. It uses DACs and an output architecture that is quite different from any OEM product and other similarly priced products. It is ours, and ours alone.
• The main board architecture and internal software code was also designed Outlaw to accommodate the special requirements of the HDMI 2.0b inputs on the video board. A quick check of the date and Outlaw identification in the pictures show that clearly is the case.
• The user interface, including the PEQ system choices, was also created by Outlaw.
• Other special Outlaw only features are right there to see: take a close look at our rear panel and these differences will be obvious.

Most importantly, the Model 976 has undergone extensive testing and certification to assure that it works exactly as it should right out of the box. Proper pre-launch beta testing is a vital product development step some other companies leave to their customers to do after purchase.

Along with our internal software and hardware evaluations, industry veterans assisted us with the beta testing so that we could catch and then squash all the bugs. We then performed extensive regression testing to make sure that what may have fixed one bug did not cause another. You can only do this kind of testing when the final product is your own design. We firmly believe that our customers should not Beta testers.

We trust that this answers the questions you have raised. That’s all well and good, but here’s the bottom line: What is important is where a product ends up--not where it started. When the Model 976 begins shipping later this spring we invite everyone to order one for themselves and compare it to what they are using now, or may have been considering as an alternate purchase.

The final proof is in the listening and viewing. We are confident that the Model 976 will be the best product in its class.

#96306 - 02/02/17 11:13 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I agree. It doesn't matter what the outside looks like as long as the inside performs the way it should. With all the beta testing being done it should be great out of the gate.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#96307 - 02/02/17 01:34 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: XenonMan]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
+1 Good reply, Admin!

#96308 - 02/02/17 02:32 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I'm sure Outlaw won't release the 976 until they're satisfied. I remember they scrapped the processor that was to have Trinnov room correction because they couldn't get it to work right.

My 975 has been in place in my system for over three years. Barely think about it, cause it's performed as advertised with no issues.

I went over to the Emotiva lounge to check out the MC700 issues thread. Up to 13 pages as of now.
It seems to me some of those issues should've been caught in alpha testing. Never mind having customers do their beta testing.
Some of the posts I read expressed concern over a FW update before their trial period was up. Or at least wondered about an announcement. I haven't seen an official response on that yet. Or even any offer of extending the trial period, or an acknowledgement of the issues they are having.

Dan Laufman did remind those who are thinking of returning, won't be able to repurchase at their original sale price.
There's a confidence booster right there!

#96309 - 02/02/17 04:18 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Are the two sub channels identical or can they be set up separately? Separate setup would allow users with two different subs to set them up to balance them or even to allow one sub to be used for music and a second sub for movies. Just a thought as to how the 976 will treat them.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#96310 - 02/02/17 05:31 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
I would think the two sub channels would have to be seperated. THX lists it be so in the .2 documentation. Outlaw does not carry the THX certification (were I Outlaw I would not care less about THX) but seems silly to advertise a .2 that is not independent channels if for nothing more than level and phase.

It is my understanding the chip set in the 975 supported automated room correction but sq suffered so it was not implemented. Simple time alignment and db levels works well im my brick house but that is just me. I did find it interesting the speaker in the corner framed by a brick exterior runs 2db less than the one on an interior wall.

If the 10 band PEQ is 10 bands per channel with user definable iso centers it should be everything one needs. If one does not mind doing things manually of course. I have never heard any of the automated room correction options get it perfect so why not get our learn on to do it manually.

If doing the eq myself keeps a good sq processor at a sub $1,000 price then sign me up. EQ is not Voodoo for the normal home user. We need to stop treating it as such.

P.S. this to the Outlaws. Love the power supply. Shades of Nelson Pass in the design. As a customer I like your direction

#96311 - 02/03/17 10:37 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Stephen B]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Stephen B
P.S. this to the Outlaws. Love the power supply. Shades of Nelson Pass in the design. As a customer I like your direction

I was looking at the power board in the picture too. I noticed a red jumper with an empty 2-pin plug next to it, and what appears to be a dual primary coil on the transformer. Wondering if this is going to be switchable to 230V, internally anyway. I remember someone recently asked about this.

#96312 - 02/03/17 10:40 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: praedet]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By praedet
Sadly, I have been waiting for something from Outlaw for going on 8 years. Now I am even worse off because Outlaw doesn't give it European voltage capability...

Found him!
I was looking at the power board in the picture too. I noticed a red jumper with an empty 2-pin plug next to it, and what appears to be a dual primary coil on the transformer. Wondering if this is going to be switchable to 230V, internally anyway.

Edited by Helson (02/03/17 10:41 AM)

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts