Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >
Topic Options
#96288 - 01/28/17 07:01 PM 976 Anticipation Thread
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Well, from Ben's description, the 976 looks to be another tremendous value product for Outlaw. I really doubt that I'll do overhead speakers, so probably won't need Dolby Atmos, so the 976 just might be my next pre/pro. Though, I am curious about what additional features the next pre/pro will have beyond Atmos.

Ben wrote:
Quote:
As time allows, we will update you along the way on the second processor, and the other products to come from the Outlaws during 2017, including the two new products that were on display by our technology partners at this past CES.

Ben: what were those two products?

#96290 - 01/29/17 12:48 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
They've already made their customers wait a few years, so I'm not sure why this was released prior to having a usable room correction system in place. Who buys a home theater processor without room correction these days? They get points for the balanced inputs at a relatively low price point, but otherwise....meh.

This product makes no sense to me at all.

#96291 - 01/29/17 09:36 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I must admit I'm intrigued with the PEQ. I like good sound, and Outlaw is usually all about the SQ. I've never used any type of room correction algorithm. So you could probably say I don't know what I'm missing. Anyway, I've heard mixed reviews on them.
This prepro is going to convince me to finally upgrade from my plasma to a 4k TV and 4k blu-ray.

#96292 - 01/29/17 11:00 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I was pleasantly surprised at the 976 announcement and I look forward to learning more in the near future about this new pre/pro.

It seems to me the 976 is like a less cluttered 990 brought up to date with better DACs, HDMI that works with the latest video, latest audio codecs, etc in that it is still largely a "manual" pre/pro. Video processing is now probably best applied in the display versus the pre/pro so the 976 video is a pass through. We don't have a manual for the 976 yet but audio setup is probably with a mic and test tones that can be adjusted with further equalization. That could be helpful but I'm not sure what tools Outlaw recommends to identify where and how further EQ would be used. Is Room EQ Wizard a solution? Of course all the manual fine tuning could be avoided with room correction software that should be part of their next pre/pro. But if I still have to tweak the settings following room correction I'd rather have the 976 if Outlaw provides detailed instructions on how to set PEQ including what tools to use.

I think I will wait a bit longer to see what features are included in the next Outlaw pre/pro. I don't have any way to incorporate all the speakers needed for Atmos etc so presently that feature isn't important to me but it should have room correction and other goodies that may be worth the $1500 estimated price and the additional $600 to $700 above the price of the 976.

#96294 - 01/29/17 11:40 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
praedet Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nebraska
Sadly, I have been waiting for something from Outlaw for going on 8 years. Now I am even worse off because Outlaw doesn't give it European voltage capability...
Surround Sides: Slightly Modded Polk LSiFXs
Surround Rears: X-over+ Modded Polk LSi7s
Subs: Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Polk 505
Electronics
Sherwood R-972 (Waiting for the Outlaw (9XX)
Outlaw 7700 Amp
Oppo BDP-103
Signal Cable, Advanced Technology, and Outlaw Audio Cables
2 APC H-15s and an UberBUSS for good measure

#96295 - 01/30/17 02:25 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: praedet]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By praedet
Sadly, I have been waiting for something from Outlaw for going on 8 years. Now I am even worse off because Outlaw doesn't give it European voltage capability...

I wasn't aware that Nebraska moved away from the American standard of 120v AC and 60Hz. smile

#96298 - 01/30/17 08:18 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
At one time Outlaw made a few of the RR-2150s as Euro friendly 230V and 50hz but not very many because demand wasn't enough. I am not sure there are a lot of manufacturers selling processors in the US that also make them Euro friendly. Best bet is to purchase a converter box that you can use when in Europe.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#96300 - 01/31/17 11:26 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
praedet Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nebraska
Ha, yeah, I guess I need to update that. I am in California now, and move to France in 3 months...

As far as the converter, it is not that simple. The frequency change is not ideal for DACs and anything that need timing, and the transformers use a LOT of power. Whatever they are rated for, they use 100% of the time. It is recommended to buy one that is rated for two times max draw...

Sadly, this pushes me towards an Emotiva pre-pro which is one of the only companies doing automatic switching. I will end up selling my LFM-1EX, my 7700, my Ultra X-12, and my Outlaw 975 just because none of them will work over there and I have no place to put them...
Surround Sides: Slightly Modded Polk LSiFXs
Surround Rears: X-over+ Modded Polk LSi7s
Subs: Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Polk 505
Electronics
Sherwood R-972 (Waiting for the Outlaw (9XX)
Outlaw 7700 Amp
Oppo BDP-103
Signal Cable, Advanced Technology, and Outlaw Audio Cables
2 APC H-15s and an UberBUSS for good measure

#96301 - 02/01/17 09:48 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: praedet]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Ha, yeah, I guess I need to update that. I am in California now, and move to France in 3 months...

As far as the converter, it is not that simple. The frequency change is not ideal for DACs and anything that need timing, and the transformers use a LOT of power. Whatever they are rated for, they use 100% of the time. It is recommended to buy one that is rated for two times max draw...

Sadly, this pushes me towards an Emotiva pre-pro which is one of the only companies doing automatic switching. I will end up selling my LFM-1EX, my 7700, my Ultra X-12, and my Outlaw 975 just because none of them will work over there and I have no place to put them...

Interesting choice they made. It is not only possible, but it isn't even terribly expensive to make a high quality and quiet switching power supply. I suspect this has more to do with them doing an analysis of their market and just not seeing much traction outside of the US. Their power supply looks pretty beefy so perhaps they thought they'd get more mileage out of the audiophile heft test than any potential gain from a more flexible power supply for foreign markets.

I'll be interested in seeing what the more feature full version looks like when it comes out. Except for the lack of room correction (100% deal breaker), the 976 hit most of the must haves that I would have.

Best,

#96302 - 02/01/17 11:11 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
Though not automated the 976 does seem to offer some room correction.

We do not know much at this point but the 10 band PEQ is something I find interesting.

#96303 - 02/01/17 11:11 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

We do not know much at this point but the 10 band PEQ is something I find interesting.

#96304 - 02/01/17 09:04 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
LCSeminole Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North Florida Gulf Coast
For those of you not familiar with P-EQ, try checking out the REW software made available free through HomeTheaterShack. You will be amazed at what it can do with a properly calibrated microphone, like the miniDSP UMIK-1. As for the 976 being a "completely new product", it looks like an updated Fortex JZ-038S?

Edited by LCSeminole (02/01/17 09:18 PM)

#96305 - 02/02/17 12:26 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
admin Offline

Gunslinger

LCSeminole: As a leading moderator of the Emotiva Lounge, the contents of your post are not surprising, other than that you are posting them in "our" Saloon. We hope in the future, Emotiva welcomes our posts in "their" Lounge.

As virtually all companies in our market do, (including Emotiva using ODMs Tonewinner and Jade), we use external ODM firms that present us with footprints of a basic design. While the starting point and the "outside" of a product may resemble something that was offered to others, the "insides" are designed and tested by us.

You asked about the similarity of the forthcoming Model 976 to an old OEM prototype. Here are just a few differences:
• The video board, the critical component of any processor, is 100% ours. It was designed by Outlaw. A look at the pictures of both units confirms this. It is our design, and ours, alone; including HDMI 2.0b capability
• The audio board is also an Outlaw design. It uses DACs and an output architecture that is quite different from any OEM product and other similarly priced products. It is ours, and ours alone.
• The main board architecture and internal software code was also designed Outlaw to accommodate the special requirements of the HDMI 2.0b inputs on the video board. A quick check of the date and Outlaw identification in the pictures show that clearly is the case.
• The user interface, including the PEQ system choices, was also created by Outlaw.
• Other special Outlaw only features are right there to see: take a close look at our rear panel and these differences will be obvious.

Most importantly, the Model 976 has undergone extensive testing and certification to assure that it works exactly as it should right out of the box. Proper pre-launch beta testing is a vital product development step some other companies leave to their customers to do after purchase.

Along with our internal software and hardware evaluations, industry veterans assisted us with the beta testing so that we could catch and then squash all the bugs. We then performed extensive regression testing to make sure that what may have fixed one bug did not cause another. You can only do this kind of testing when the final product is your own design. We firmly believe that our customers should not Beta testers.

We trust that this answers the questions you have raised. That’s all well and good, but here’s the bottom line: What is important is where a product ends up--not where it started. When the Model 976 begins shipping later this spring we invite everyone to order one for themselves and compare it to what they are using now, or may have been considering as an alternate purchase.

The final proof is in the listening and viewing. We are confident that the Model 976 will be the best product in its class.

#96306 - 02/02/17 11:13 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I agree. It doesn't matter what the outside looks like as long as the inside performs the way it should. With all the beta testing being done it should be great out of the gate.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE

#96307 - 02/02/17 01:34 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: XenonMan]
Hank Offline
Desperado

+1 Good reply, Admin!

#96308 - 02/02/17 02:32 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

I'm sure Outlaw won't release the 976 until they're satisfied. I remember they scrapped the processor that was to have Trinnov room correction because they couldn't get it to work right.

My 975 has been in place in my system for over three years. Barely think about it, cause it's performed as advertised with no issues.

I went over to the Emotiva lounge to check out the MC700 issues thread. Up to 13 pages as of now.
It seems to me some of those issues should've been caught in alpha testing. Never mind having customers do their beta testing.
Some of the posts I read expressed concern over a FW update before their trial period was up. Or at least wondered about an announcement. I haven't seen an official response on that yet. Or even any offer of extending the trial period, or an acknowledgement of the issues they are having.

Dan Laufman did remind those who are thinking of returning, won't be able to repurchase at their original sale price.
There's a confidence booster right there!

#96309 - 02/02/17 04:18 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Are the two sub channels identical or can they be set up separately? Separate setup would allow users with two different subs to set them up to balance them or even to allow one sub to be used for music and a second sub for movies. Just a thought as to how the 976 will treat them.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96310 - 02/02/17 05:31 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

I would think the two sub channels would have to be seperated. THX lists it be so in the .2 documentation. Outlaw does not carry the THX certification (were I Outlaw I would not care less about THX) but seems silly to advertise a .2 that is not independent channels if for nothing more than level and phase.

It is my understanding the chip set in the 975 supported automated room correction but sq suffered so it was not implemented. Simple time alignment and db levels works well im my brick house but that is just me. I did find it interesting the speaker in the corner framed by a brick exterior runs 2db less than the one on an interior wall.

If the 10 band PEQ is 10 bands per channel with user definable iso centers it should be everything one needs. If one does not mind doing things manually of course. I have never heard any of the automated room correction options get it perfect so why not get our learn on to do it manually.

If doing the eq myself keeps a good sq processor at a sub $1,000 price then sign me up. EQ is not Voodoo for the normal home user. We need to stop treating it as such.

P.S. this to the Outlaws. Love the power supply. Shades of Nelson Pass in the design. As a customer I like your direction

#96311 - 02/03/17 10:37 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Stephen B]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Stephen B
P.S. this to the Outlaws. Love the power supply. Shades of Nelson Pass in the design. As a customer I like your direction

I was looking at the power board in the picture too. I noticed a red jumper with an empty 2-pin plug next to it, and what appears to be a dual primary coil on the transformer. Wondering if this is going to be switchable to 230V, internally anyway. I remember someone recently asked about this.

#96312 - 02/03/17 10:40 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: praedet]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Found him!
I was looking at the power board in the picture too. I noticed a red jumper with an empty 2-pin plug next to it, and what appears to be a dual primary coil on the transformer. Wondering if this is going to be switchable to 230V, internally anyway.

Edited by Helson (02/03/17 10:41 AM)

#96314 - 02/03/17 03:48 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Stephen B]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois

Well... Some of this is "semantics" because pretty much all DACs now include built-in DSPs functions that can be used to modify the signal in a way that is essentially "correcting" the sound. Whether the "interface" is a "wizard" or something more amenable to showing interested consumers what has been "changed" is probably a huge issue for firms without the sorts of experience crafting fancy UI front ends...

The degree to which any "auto-setup" will be setup to "merely" adjust "levels" to account for "apparent distance from listener" is probably the sticking point -- firms that are more involved in licensing their techniques of calculating the inevitable interplay of the various adjustments will often go to great lengths to come thisclose to giving away their own secrets --

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5..._correction.pdf

http://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/audyssey-room-eq-interview

http://www.acousticsciences.com/media/articles/room-acoustics-audios-final-frontier

The fact is even lots of people that have spent time working in audio mixing for live or recorded music really do not understand the fundamentals that govern what can be achieved --
http://www.rane.com/note115.html

Maybe it is smarter for the Outlaws to try to supply smart consumers with something that sidesteps any debate...

Edited by renov8r (02/03/17 03:51 PM)

#96315 - 02/06/17 01:12 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: renov8r]
craigsub Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Erie, Pa
High quality parts, 10 band PEQ ... this is a great hybrid of a two channel preamp and a home theater processor.

I already own a 975 and two Marantz 7008 receivers with Audyssey XT-32.

The idea of being able to manually set the curves using the Omni Mic II with the latest software upgrades is making the decision of which processor to get an easy one.

#96316 - 02/07/17 08:07 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
I am definitely interested. The 976 seems to be the perfect fit for my needs. The 7.1 inputs are great for those who want to use the reference dacs of an Oppo 105 like I have. I know I would be missing Audyssey XT which I like, but maybe I could get similar results with running REW and then adjusting the 976 using the 10 band peq. I have never used REW but I could get a UMIK-1 and see what is going on in my system.

I had the Outlaw 950 when it first came out and it was a very good prepro for me. One thing that I wish the 976 remote had is on the fly level trims but everything else looks really nice from the pictures.

Edited by mdanderson (02/08/17 01:46 PM)
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96324 - 02/08/17 01:33 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Suggestion: A thread teaching the use of the UMIK-1 mic and REW to do manual room correction. If there is a Subject Matter Expert here, would you please start a thread?

Outlaw Ben: Where should the thread be located? Title? - maybe "Model 976 Surround Processor & Manual Room Correction"? Maybe under an overall 976 topic?

#96325 - 02/08/17 01:49 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Hank
Suggestion: A thread teaching the use of the UMIK-1 mic and REW to do manual room correction. If there is a Subject Matter Expert here, would you please start a thread?

Outlaw Ben: Where should the thread be located? Title? - maybe "Model 976 Surround Processor & Manual Room Correction"? Maybe under an overall 976 topic?

Good suggestion. I know home theater shack has good tutorials for rew.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96326 - 02/08/17 01:51 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

I cast a second vote for an eq thread.

#96327 - 02/08/17 05:18 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I kind of started one last night by asking questions here in the Tips and Tweaks forum. I didn't see where else to put it. There've been a few replies and links I saw but I haven't had time to read them yet. I'm just taking a quick glance at the forums right now to see what's happening while I'm at work. smile

Edited by Owl's_Warder (02/08/17 05:19 PM)

#96328 - 02/08/17 05:26 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I'm not an expert but I know people who are...

(I have friends that do live sound for things like churches and business meetings, they've taught me enough to know when I should ask more questions...)

#96339 - 02/09/17 01:37 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Okay guys, I asked Ben for his suggestion on where to start a 976 room EQ thread and he suggested Tips and Tweaks, so Owl's_Warder, you're spot on.
ronov8r: can you talk one of your friends into coming aboard for a while and educate us? It might not take more than a few posts - or you could pick their brains and share the info with us.

#96464 - 04/01/17 08:33 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
zypo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Can someone explain to me the benefit of having 7.1ch inputs? Even on an Oppo with 7.1 outputs, you would probably just use an hdmi cable for the 976 inputs from the player. With devices such that minidsp makes, you will probably have the minidsp AFTER the audio has been decoded... (am I wrong?)

#96465 - 04/01/17 09:27 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
butchgo Online   content
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
It would depend which device has the better sounding DACs I would guess.
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Enzo XL L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#96466 - 04/01/17 09:45 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Some people love all those cables behind their gear and others prefer the simple HDMI solution, but it really comes down to flexibility and which device (source or AVR) has the best electronics. For instance, I have the model 990 which doesn't support all the new audio codecs but can be fed from my OPPO BDP through the 7.1 analog inputs so it can function in a home theater pretty well with the OPPO doing the decoding. In my current system I use HDMI for simplicity and the processor has better DACs than the OPPO.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96467 - 04/01/17 11:36 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: zypo]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By zypo
Can someone explain to me the benefit of having 7.1ch inputs? Even on an Oppo with 7.1 outputs, you would probably just use an hdmi cable for the 976 inputs from the player. With devices such that minidsp makes, you will probably have the minidsp AFTER the audio has been decoded... (am I wrong?)

I am glad the 976 will have 7.1 inputs so I can use the reference Sabre dacs from my Oppo 105 or the future Oppo 205. SACDs and DVD audio discs sound better to me using the analog outs.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96496 - 04/11/17 04:36 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
I am just thrilled by a discovery I just made that will allow me to buy the new Model 976! I used to do Separates all the time, but I moved and just thought it'd be easier if I went back to a receiver. I forgot I had an old 5 channel Parasound 5125 amp. I just found it, and now will be going back to separates with the model 976. I could not be more thrilled! I have no need or care for Atmos or DTS-X so this is perfect. I have for speakers Definitive Technology Studio monitor 65 mains and center, that's not a typo yes I have a studio monitor for a center channel and it sounds great. I have SM 55 surrounds and an SVS PB-1000.

#96512 - 04/14/17 07:27 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Stephen B]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Georgia, US of A!
If the 10 band PEQ is 10 bands per channel with user definable iso* centers* it should be everything one needs.
YUP!
* and that is a true definition of a PEQ. In which case, I will buy one with my first military retirement check in the fall.
If one does not mind doing things manually of course. I have never heard any of the automated room correction options get it perfect so why not get our learn on to do it manually.
YUP!!
If doing the eq myself keeps a good sq processor at a sub $1,000 price then sign me up. EQ is not Voodoo for the normal home user. We need to stop treating it as such.
YUP!!!

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
BJC 10 ga - LCR mids*, inside & out
8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: Tri-amped Polk RTi A7
Rotel RB980s -> woofers; Rotel RB981s -> mids w/phase plugs & tweeters
CC: bi-amped Polk CSi A6 -> Rotel RB981
SWs: Sunfire & 4 Audio Pros - LFE True Sig; 4 Evidence - 1 @ ea corner
Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> Polk RTi A3
Power Conditioning & Distribution:
3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman MP-20s

#96518 - 04/15/17 06:49 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

You are going to give me an inflated ego if you keep agreeing with me like this Tony.

I see no good reason why the PEQ could not be used to great effect.

#96519 - 04/15/17 10:08 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Stephen B]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

I see no good reason why the PEQ could not be used to great effect.
ditto, Stephen you're the man!

In the right hands, and it ain't rocket science, each channel having its own PEQ should fix most any issue except bad acoustics.

#96522 - 04/16/17 10:24 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: 975 destroyer]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By 975 destroyer

each channel having its own PEQ should fix most any issue except bad acoustics.

I see REW being a bigger problem for most users than the PEQ will ever be.

I have not fooled around with an audio analyzer in years so have been reviewing the options.

#96523 - 04/16/17 12:41 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

REW looks like a very encompassing program which will allow users to tweak their systems to compensate for any room deficiencies but...it also may take significant effort playing with a system. For those who love to tweak and adjust it will be the equivalent of a turntable.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96526 - 04/17/17 08:01 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

I can see the analyzer part of doing PEQ being difficult for many people. The last analyzer I used was a hand held unit so hqve no experience with a pc based system.

Is anyone here using REW (or similar) what is involved regarding the hardware necessary? I know there is more involved than connecting a microphone to a computer. Thanks

#96527 - 04/17/17 08:02 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

I can see the analyzer part of doing PEQ being difficult for many people. The last analyzer I used was a hand held unit so hqve no experience with a pc based system.

Is anyone here using REW (or similar) what is involved regarding the hardware necessary? I know there is more involved than connecting a microphone to a computer. Thanks

#96528 - 04/17/17 09:40 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I downloaded the program from their website. (FREE) The program gives a lot of good guidance and the website has a lot of reading material. Basically you connect your mike or SPL meter to the computer line in and the processor to the computer line out. The computer and REW generate a test signal through your processor and your speakers. You use the REW and the mike to do some sweeps in one or multiple positions. Each sweep generates curves which allow you to analyze the result and adjust the PEQ on your 976 to make the response of your room as flat as possible. You can use REW to get all the sweeps and curves for your room and make adjustments as needed. This is the part where knowing what you are looking at and how your adjustments may affect other sweeps is similar to having a turntable.

As far as equipment needed the program allows the use of multiple microphones and REW has calibration files for many available. It also will allow use of the good old Radio Shack SPL meter. You will need a computer that has the line in and line out and a sound card. You don't need an expensive sound card because REW can be setup in a loop back fashion to eliminate the effects of the sound card altogether. If you already have a laptop and a RS meter with some appropriate length cables you could try the system out and find out how your current room correction is doing it's job.

What we don't know right now is how the 976 PEQ will be interfaced with REW. It is likely that it will be fully adjustable manually based on the REW curves but....in an ideal world you could adjust the PEQ right from your laptop. We are only going to get so much at less than $1000 so I would expect manual.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96529 - 04/17/17 11:15 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Xenon. I am sure Ben told me there was a way to interact directly with the 976 but cannot remember what was involved.

If you read this Ben could you explain how the REW/976 integration is best accomplished?

#96530 - 04/17/17 11:15 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Xenon. I am sure Ben told me there was a way to interact directly with the 976 but cannot remember what was involved.

If you read this Ben could you explain how the REW/976 integration is best accomplished?

#96533 - 04/18/17 02:24 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

Hi Stephen,

Manual adjustment of the EQ via the on screen display of the Model 976. I recommend a PC utilizing REW with an HDMI output to the Model 976 and utilizing ASIO4ALL drivers; this allows you to run your tones for each channel independently via one HDMI connection.

I have had good results with the MiniDSP UMIK‑1 USB mic; the serial number can be entered into their website to download the calibration file of your microphone and then you can upload it into REW.

#96534 - 04/18/17 07:13 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you Ben.

#96538 - 04/19/17 12:57 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Good news - thanks Ben

#96570 - 05/02/17 06:37 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Eggtuary Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Any updates on the 976? I bought a 975, but I plan to return it. From the description here, the 976 would be a better fit for me.

Any thoughts on how REW (using a laptop and the USB mic that Ben suggested above) would compare to Audyssey XT32? I tried a Marantz SR-6011 receiver, and I wasn't happy with the sound compared to the 975. It was always either unrealistically "big" (no focus to the imaging) or would collapse to have no height or depth. The Reference levels produced by XT32 created a very harsh, bright tone.

If the 976 has much the same sound as the 975, but with more ability to tweak the sound, I'd be happy to hold out for it, even though it would potentially mean I'm without a preamp (and thus any music) for a good while.

#96571 - 05/02/17 08:11 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I would expect that the REW software combined with the Parametric EQ would be able to customize the sound in any room to the users preferences as well or maybe better than XT32 but...it will take some effort to learn how to use REW to set up your room with the PEW in the 975. Also I would expect that from what Outlaw has stated about the 976 using similar topography to the flagship product they are working on, that the 976 will have even better sound than the 975.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96605 - 05/20/17 04:25 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
THX Jay Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey Everyone,

I don't know if this has been covered yet, so I'll ask: Will there be an option to completely turn off the front panel display?

From what I saw of the remote and front panel, it doesn't look like that is an available option. I haven't been able to find the manual (don't know if it's available yet-not that tech savvy), so I was unable to answer this question. As I like to turn off the display while I'm watching a movie, this is a somewhat important feature for me.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#96606 - 05/20/17 09:41 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: THX Jay]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By THX Jay
Will there be an option to completely turn off the front panel display?

I like to turn off the display while watching a movie, [too] this is a somewhat important feature for me.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ditto plus I'd like the Volume level displayed instead the input* (e.g "VID HDMI4") I don't need constant reminder of same*.

Edited by 975 destroyer (05/20/17 09:44 PM)
Edit Reason: Omission

#96608 - 05/22/17 11:14 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

There hasn't been anything stated yet beyond the reveal announcement. They're planning on having them ready to ship first quarter which basically gives another 5 weeks or so to hit that target. I expect we'll see a product page go live within the next three or four weeks at which point we can start going over the manual and pictures in depth.

Edit: I meant to say second quarter!

Edited by Owl's_Warder (05/22/17 04:24 PM)

#96609 - 05/22/17 12:41 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
The latest revision of REW (Room Eq Wizard) lists "Added Outlaw Audio Model 976 equaliser setting" as one of its new features. Impressive that Outlaw has proactively secured REW support for the 976 even before release.

#96611 - 05/22/17 01:13 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Hank Offline
Desperado

First quarter ended March 31. Ben wrote in the announcement: "...we hope to have the Model 976 in your systems later this spring." May is the last month of Spring. Down to the wire...

#96612 - 05/22/17 03:55 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

First quarter ended March 31. Ben wrote in the announcement: "...we hope to have the Model 976 in your systems later this spring." May is the last month of Spring. Down to the wire...

You're right about the quarter. I had intended to say second, not first. Also, to be fair to the Outlaws, the first day of summer isn't until June 20th, so there's still plenty of time. smile

Edited by Owl's_Warder (05/22/17 04:25 PM)

#96613 - 05/22/17 07:15 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: sdurani]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By sdurani
The latest revision of REW (Room Eq Wizard) lists "Added Outlaw Audio Model 976 equaliser setting" as one of its new features. Impressive that Outlaw has proactively secured REW support for the 976 even before release.

Well, well, well, that is good news! Now I'm really interested in what the manual has to say about how to use REW. Hello 976?!?! Could be!

#96615 - 05/23/17 10:26 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: sdurani]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By sdurani

What exactly does this mean? I do not understand the significance.

#96616 - 05/23/17 12:02 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

It means REW recognizes the 976 as at least being on the horizon.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96620 - 05/23/17 01:41 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Okay. Thanks

I guess I was hoping for something a bit more substantial. I was hoping it meant something more along the lines of a pre configured interface.

I am just now getting my feet wet with REW so still have many more questions than answers.

#96623 - 05/23/17 04:11 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

REW integrating with the Model 976 means once you connect the Model 976 and measure the speaker's response in the listening environment via REW, you will be able to click on REW's EQ tab - then under "Filter Tasks", you would be able to click "Match response to target" and REW will tell you how to set the filters in the Model 976; you won't even have to analyze or interpret what you see. Under EQ Filters, all your EQ settings would be pre-filled for you and you would manually copy these settings into the EQ on the Model 976 (Don't forget for this to work correctly, you need to tell REW that you are using the Model 976 and tell it if you are correcting the response of a full range speaker, a subwoofer, or a bass limited speaker).

This should really help make the process easier.

#96625 - 05/23/17 10:17 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

laugh Now I'm officially excited about the 976!! Hats off to the Outlaws for coordinating with REW on how to use the PEQ function in the 976 in combination with the tools in REW. I've got a 131 page tutorial on REW to read!

#96626 - 05/24/17 06:10 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: AvFan]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By AvFan
I've got a 131 page tutorial* on REW to read!
please post a link*

#96627 - 05/24/17 01:43 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Stephen B]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

What exactly does this mean? I do not understand the significance.
REW does more than merely measure; it can also suggest parametric EQ filters to tame the peaks & dips that it measured. These filters have 3 parameters: centre frequency (where the peak or dip is centered at), boost/cut (how many dB to bring down a peak or boost a dip) and Q (the width of the filter: is the peak a sharp needle or broad hill).

REW can suggest generic parameters for the PEQ filters. However, if you have a device that is supported by REW (like the 976), then REW will spit out filter parameters specifically with the 976 in mind. Things like the amount of boost/cut or the number of filters per channel will be based on the 976's capabilities. As Ben said, you can take these parameters and dial them right into the 976.

To get an idea of how PEQ parameters vary by device, take a look at the following link:

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/equaliser.html#top

#96628 - 05/24/17 05:51 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

I found the tutorial on AVSForum and created by member AustinJerry. This should all look familiar to sdurani as I see he participates regularly on AVSForum. The tutorial is located in DropBox.

REW Tutorial

#96630 - 05/25/17 12:12 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: AvFan]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

This should all look familiar to sdurani as I see he participates regularly on AVSForum.
Yup, am friends with Jerry outside the forms. I think my user name is listed at the end of the guide as one of the many posters that helped out with the content.

#96631 - 05/26/17 02:38 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: AvFan]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

I found the tutorial on AVSForum and created by member AustinJerry. This should all look familiar to sdurani as I see he participates regularly on AVSForum. The tutorial is located in DropBox.

REW Tutorial

Thanks for that updated REW tutorial. I still had an older version on my laptop.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96722 - 07/03/17 11:46 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

So quiet lately, anything new on the 976? Anything to talk about with it?

#96723 - 07/04/17 07:45 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

I would like the 976 to permit "Large" Surrounds and "Small" front LR. I now have rear L&R subs that accuratly dig into the high 20s.

#96726 - 07/05/17 12:34 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I would think that you will be able to set the size of the individual speakers similar to what the 975 allows.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96728 - 07/05/17 03:19 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: J.H.]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By J.H.
So quiet lately, anything new on the 976? Anything to talk about with it?

Here is the latest on the 976. Post# 96676

http://saloon.outlawaudio.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96404&page=3
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96751 - 07/22/17 03:34 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

Anything new on the 976 since July 5th of the last update?

#96753 - 07/24/17 12:39 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Nope - I'm guessing a Fall release.

#96754 - 07/24/17 07:00 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: XenonMan]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By XenonMan
I would think that you will be able to set the size of the individual speakers similar to what the 975 allows.
Similar but not the same.
To set the Surrounds to Large, the 975 demands you set the LR to Large - its non-negotiable.

Edited by 975 destroyer (07/24/17 07:02 PM)

#96755 - 07/24/17 07:20 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: XenonMan]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By XenonMan
REW... ...to tweak their systems to compensate for any room deficiencies...
This sounds a bit like the Polk forum's Cable Heads. Even w/REW, no one w/a small-ish* space should expect ROOM f3 much below 30hz. Those LOWer frequencies need "space to play." Also it won't make up for bad acoustics no matter how much they mess w/it.
* 8 X 12

#96757 - 07/24/17 08:05 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

Nope - I'm guessing a Fall release.

Yikes that is pretty late, but as long as they get it right.

#96762 - 08/01/17 02:07 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Fall, huh? I'm looking for something with the 990's capabilities - including analog pass-through for at least equal SQ - plus HDMI connections, but no review, no order.

I have a Parasound phono preamp, so no problem there. But get the 976 out of beta, please.

#96763 - 08/01/17 04:26 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: psyprof1]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

A review from where? It has not been released yet, but I feel like the 976 will equal or exceed the 990 in sound quality and capabilities. Here is the page with info in case you need it.

http://saloon.outlawaudio.com/ubbthreads...an=33#Post96259

Edited by mdanderson (08/01/17 04:29 PM)
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96764 - 08/01/17 07:22 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: mdanderson]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

I think that is his point, not out yet, no reviews so he won't buy one until there are some reviews.

#96765 - 08/02/17 08:57 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
TCat Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PNW
I'm going to have to give up. They're way past the window with no updates, and I need to pull the trigger on something soon. Wanted it, waited for it, but by end of the week I'm going a different direction.

#96766 - 08/02/17 10:55 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I would move on at this point. Especially for those who are still waiting for the as yet un-named atmos/dtsx processor. Outlaw said that once the 976 begins production they will refocus their efforts on their flagship processor. With no shipping date for the 976 being available, we can assume the Phoenix processor is also impacted. Also the cost of an Atmos/DTSx processor and the availability on the open market is no longer necessarily a big drawing point for Outlaw. When it was announced it was groundbreaking but at this point it is the norm.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96767 - 08/02/17 06:06 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: TCat]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By TCat
I'm going to have to give up. Wanted it, waited for it, but by end of the week I'm going a different direction.
You waited this long. Life will go on regardless when you receive the new Outlaw or jump ship to something else.

#96768 - 08/02/17 07:47 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: 975 destroyer]
TCat Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By 975 destroyer
Originally Posted By TCat
I'm going to have to give up. Wanted it, waited for it, but by end of the week I'm going a different direction.
You waited this long. Life will go on regardless when you receive the new Outlaw or jump ship to something else.

Thank you, Captain Obvious!

#96769 - 08/02/17 09:35 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

Well I appreciate they are taking their time to get things right, but its getting a bit ridiculous now. What are the odds it never comes out now?

#96770 - 08/03/17 01:10 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: J.H.]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks. I see your point now about him waiting until reviews are out.

Edited by mdanderson (08/03/17 01:26 PM)
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96771 - 08/03/17 01:24 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: J.H.]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Well I appreciate they are taking their time to get things right, but its getting a bit ridiculous now. What are the odds it never comes out now?

I feel like it will come out this Fall. This would be the perfect pre/pro for me because I need one with 7.1 analog inputs and it is very hard to find one that has this now days.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96772 - 08/03/17 07:52 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: mdanderson]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By mdanderson

I feel like it will come out this Fall. This would be the perfect pre/pro for me because I need one with 7.1 analog inputs and it is very hard to find one that has this now days.

Its perfect for me too. I'm not buying till late fall, so I have plenty of time. I'm just getting a little skeptical it might not come out at all. I've seen products not come out on time, and the next thing you know its cancelled. I hope not.

Edited by J.H. (08/04/17 06:15 PM)

#96773 - 08/04/17 12:57 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
elwaylite Offline
Gunslinger

Looking to simplify my setup. I am running a 2.2 system with nice monitors and 15" subs. When this finally gets released I am just gonna go with it and two Outlaw monoblocks for the monitors, cant wait.

#96774 - 08/04/17 02:27 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: J.H.]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By mdanderson

Its perfect for me too. I'm not buying till late fall, so I have plenty of time. I'm just getting a little skeptical it might not come out at all. I've seen products not come out on time, and the next thing you know its cancelled. I hope now.

I know what you mean but I think it would have to be something major or fatal for it to be cancelled and from the last update that I read from Outlaw, it appears they are just working on some minor things to get it ready.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96775 - 08/04/17 02:28 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
elwaylite Offline
Gunslinger

I wonder if it is stuck in Dolby Vision certification hell.

#96776 - 08/04/17 02:52 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: elwaylite]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

What subs do you have?
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96777 - 08/04/17 02:55 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
elwaylite Offline
Gunslinger

Rythmik FV15HP's.

#96778 - 08/04/17 03:11 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: elwaylite]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By elwaylite
Rythmik FV15HP's.

Very nice.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96779 - 08/04/17 06:16 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: mdanderson]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

I hope you are right.

#96780 - 08/04/17 11:58 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

The delay of the 976 is deja vu all over again. My 720p plasma TV is showing signs of crapping out and when it does I'm going to buy a 4K LG OLED, an Oppo UDP-203 and a new pre/pro to tie them together. Once again I'm wondering if Outlaw will have a pre/pro to replace my 990, and hoping they will.

#96781 - 08/05/17 05:58 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

I am renewing my faith. Outlaw is a good company with a good rep. I believe it will be out very soon. Anyone from Outlaw care to chime in?

#96782 - 08/05/17 05:58 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Thank goodness plasmas last a long time.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96783 - 08/06/17 12:28 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: J.H.]
elwaylite Offline
Gunslinger

I am renewing my faith. Outlaw is a good company with a good rep. I believe it will be out very soon. Anyone from Outlaw care to chime in?

I called them Friday. Basically they are kept in the dark on the cert process, and they would obviously love to be already selling it.

#96785 - 08/06/17 05:10 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Patience WILL reward you!

The 975, new, about $590 shipped to my front door.

About 7-8 years ago (about the time HDMI had taken hold of HT?) I won from eBay, a Rotel RSP-1068. Pre-HDMI*, $350 shipped. Sold new in 2002(2003,2004?) $1600. It provided an immersive HT experience.
* I knew NOTHING of HDMI back then.

I find the the $590 975 equally immersive w/out the, objectionable to my soon-to-be 60 year old ears, mid-range lump of the $1600 1068. I'll take an Outlaw over the, supposed-to-be-better Rotel, well-known-in-its-circles for its temperamental HDMI, any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Wait for the Dom Perignon champagne SQ at a Mad Dog 2020 $ tag. You'll be glad you did.

Edited by 975 destroyer (08/06/17 05:14 PM)

#96786 - 08/07/17 10:02 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

For someone with a failing or failed pre/pro the M-975 can still be a good deal. My B Stock 975 was $499.00. (have no fear buying B Stock from Outlaw, mine was perfect)

With the trending prices at auction plus the $100.00 loyalty offer my cost of ownership for the 975 would be in the forty to seventy dollar range.

I am assuming things here but if... If Outlaw does B Stock pricing as they do now along with extending the loyalty program to include the B Stock units I could be in the 976 for $300.00 give or take a few.

My current plan is to hold out until around Christmas. In the mean time I have a mic ordered so I can spend time learning REW.

I agree with you Tony. I was prepared to take a big hit in SQ that had me worried for nothing. If the 976 improves on the SQ of the 975 the new unit should sound wonderful.

#96790 - 08/07/17 02:09 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Jmilton Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Boston
Hi all,
I got a chance to listen (and see and touch) the 976 with Peter Tribeman the other week. It's "real" and almost ready to be unleashed upon an unsuspecting audio world. I don't think you'll be disappointed in it. Peter will not release a "buggy" product and he is very meticulous about his baby. I hope to get one for a SECRETS of Home Theater and HiFi review soon. We listened to it along with the new THX certified subwoofer(X-13)...which is a monster! Those Outlaws have some good things cooking in the next year!

Edited by Jmilton (08/07/17 02:19 PM)

#96791 - 08/07/17 02:14 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Jmilton]
elwaylite Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Jmilton
Hi all,
I got a chance to listen (and see and touch) the 976 with Peter Tribeman the other week. It's "real" and almost ready to be unleashed upon an unsuspecting audio world. I don't think you'll be disappointed in it. Peter will not release a "buggy" product and he is very meticulous about his baby. I hope to get one for a SECRETS of Home Theater and HiFi review soon. We listened to it along with the new THX certified subwoofer...which is a monster! Those Outlaws have some good things cooking in the next year!

Great update!

I plan to order, or preorder, day one. I'd love to have one in hand before mid Sept, and my audio going showing up for a calibration.

#96792 - 08/07/17 03:38 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Jmilton]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Hi all,
I got a chance to listen (and see and touch) the 976 with Peter Tribeman the other week. It's "real" and almost ready to be unleashed upon an unsuspecting audio world. I don't think you'll be disappointed in it. Peter will not release a "buggy" product and he is very meticulous about his baby. I hope to get one for a SECRETS of Home Theater and HiFi review soon. We listened to it along with the new THX certified subwoofer(X-13)...which is a monster! Those Outlaws have some good things cooking in the next year!

Thanks for that update Jim. I look forward to a review from you as soon as you are able to get a hold of one. I always enjoy your reviews at Secrets as well as your posts on other home theater forum sites. I plan to order day one as well.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

#96793 - 08/07/17 06:05 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

We are un-suspecting because we fell asleep waiting for it.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96794 - 08/07/17 07:08 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Jmilton]
J.H. Offline
Gunslinger

Hi all,

Wow awesome update, can't wait!

#96795 - 08/09/17 09:07 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Bob Walters Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Bronxville, NY
Just got a new LG OLED. Waiting for 976 to replace 975. For now, one output from UHD player[video] to OLED TV; one output from UHD player[audio] to 975.

#96796 - 08/09/17 09:36 AM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Jmilton]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Peter will not release a "buggy" product...
I, for one, prefer not to buy a buggy product - a million thanks Peter
Originally Posted By Jmilton...
...Peter is very meticulous...
Sounds like my soul mate - you go Peter!

#96797 - 08/09/17 12:45 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Thanks for the note, Jim. We loyalists knew that it's being tweaked to high quality product level. Time to start studying REW I suppose.

#96798 - 08/10/17 11:11 PM Re: 976 Anticipation Thread [Re: Hank]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the note, Jim. We loyalists knew that it's being tweaked to high quality product level. Time to start studying REW I suppose.

That is what I have been doing lately. I may go ahead and get a UMIK-1 and try REW out on my Marantz SR5010. I have been reading AustinJerry's guide on REW and it is very informative.

Edited by mdanderson (08/10/17 11:12 PM)
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Power Sound Audio 15S

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 94 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM