Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#95879 - 07/12/16 01:03 PM Model 975 or another option...
corsabrin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Westland, MI
Hello,

I have been using a HK receiver as a pre/pro for many years and I am way behind on current surround formats and processing! I want to upgrade to a dedicated pre/pro like the model 975. I have a simple 5.1 set-up with no plans on going to 7.x.x anytime soon. The 975 has all the connections I need.

However, if I am going to be buying a new piece of equipment my gut tells me I should get a unit that has the latest in surround formats, i.e. Atmos. I may never take advantage of Atmos, but it would be nice to have just in case.

Is the model 975 a step or two behind the times? Is there another dedicated pre/pro out there for under $1k?!? My only other options are to buy another receiver with pre-outs like the Yamaha RX-A860. I wanted to go with a dedicated pre/pro, but my options seem limited.

The Yamaha has a all the new surround formats, plus a bunch of bells and whistles I don't need or want, but the price is right. What are your thoughts? Get the model 975 and miss out on having the most current in surround formats or look at other options under $1k?

I have been waiting to hear about the new pre/pro from Outlaw, but it seems to be nowhere to be seen anytime soon and will it cost under $1.5k?!? Who knows, but waiting is growing old and my old HK receiver is showing sign of giving up the ghost soon!

Thanks in advance!

#95880 - 07/12/16 08:08 PM Re: Model 975 or another option... [Re: corsabrin]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I think of Atmos and the other object oriented codecs sort of like 3D. I am not jumping to revamp my system to accommodate something that right now doesn't have a lot of source support. However, if I were going to buy a new processor I would future proof it as much as possible. Whatever you choose make sure it has HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 so that you are really as future proof as possible right now. HDR video may be the next must have thing and it needs both.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#95881 - 07/12/16 10:01 PM Re: Model 975 or another option... [Re: corsabrin]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
Xenon makes a couple of valid points. Where do you see yourself five years down the road? If things like Atmos are not on your radar the 975 would most likely serve you well.

Were I shopping for a new pre/pro I would buy another 975 without a second thought.

You just missed one on the bay. $330.00 for what looked like an installers leftover. The claim was it had never been out of the box.

#95916 - 07/25/16 12:08 PM Re: Model 975 or another option... [Re: corsabrin]
Baramon! Offline
Gunslinger

Good question. I recently had my ceiling torn apart to add recessed lighting and thought about adding atmos before I bought my 975.
I have a 5 channel amp ()7500) so here it was:

Marantz processer with Atmos at the time: $1200
Two Monoblocks to match my 7500: $700
Two used MK inwall speakers (I'd install in ceiling):$300
That's $2200.

The cost of adding three zones of recessed LED lighting with gimbels on dimmers was $2700 including repair work. To add $2200 more would have had me doing some fancy explaining to the wife!

Then I started thinking about the impact it would have on my system and what that money can go towards. Was thinking my 10 year old pair of Subs might be due for an upgrade soon enough and a pair of JL E class run me about $3000 and impact far greater than a few overhead rain effects or helicopter blade from above.

This product is perfect for my situation because I have all the other bells and whistles imbedded in my system and it gives me a great pure processor and that's all im paying for!!!! I came from a 990 and it served me well. I wanted to simplify my system to HDMI and make it easier for others than myself to use it. More important, it sounds better than my 990!!!! This was a very easy Choice. Since I had to take everything apart before the work was done, it was the perfect time to do this upgrade!!

Atmos won't do anything for the music and there is a limited catalog of movies. I also still use Netflix to get my bluerays rented and they don't ship out Atmos coded discs.
I don't buy movies either. At $575 for the 975, im paying for what matters now and getting great performance at a very reasonable price. If I was paying $2000 for a receiver, or building out a dedicated home theatre, I would for sure make sure it was included.
That's my thought process.

Edited by Baramon! (07/25/16 12:23 PM)

#95924 - 07/26/16 11:12 PM Re: Model 975 or another option... [Re: corsabrin]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
If I ever go for Atmos or something similar I will likely buy four small, cheap, two way, sealed speakers and install flanges around the periphery such that I can mount them in a piece of plywood and install them in my dropped ceiling. I am not buying into the need for specialized speakers for the in ceiling effects. I have plenty of amplifier channels available and don't see the need for high quality overhead surrounds. I would also spring for the model 5000 amp which has plenty of power and is $100 cheaper than the monoblocks with three more channels to boot.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM