Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#95914 - 07/21/16 02:17 PM Re: Ultra-X12 Subwoofer Floor Loading [Re: Uncle Steve]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Many people add a second layer of drywall glued to the first layer with some glue that is said to isolate the resonance from being transmitted. This is usually done to prevent transmitting sound beyond the listening area. Other than the room nodes generated by the sub itself and reflected by the walls I would think using some sort of bass management feature to adjust the sub and its position in the room. It may also be useful to set up a second sub in the room.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#95915 - 07/22/16 10:23 AM Re: Ultra-X12 Subwoofer Floor Loading [Re: Uncle Steve]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

Unfortunately, this could be occurring. This really is what occurs with standing waves, as they store and release energy that will greatly impact the sound. Room construction and layout definitely impacts this.

#95922 - 07/26/16 02:52 PM Re: Ultra-X12 Subwoofer Floor Loading [Re: Uncle Steve]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By Uncle Steve
While listening to my Ultra X-12 and thinking about subwoofer sound, another thought popped into my head: listening room construction. When I lived in NYC, Manhattan all of my apartments had thick plastered interior/exterior brick walls, rather than the sheet rock over 2X4 wood studs construction of my house here in Texas (which my English friends referred to as �stick and wattle�). I remember having to use a rotary impact drill with a long carbide drill bit, and a lot of force, to drill holes to run wire from room to room. My first experience here with that drill here resulted in a drill chuck size hole, with the drill bit protruding into the next room as soon as I started the drill!
Thinking that over, I am fairly certain that the flimsy, thin wallboard vibrates with low bass frequencies, absorbing then releasing energy which may make low bass sound �muddy�. I do not have a laser interferometer to measure wall �bending� modes, so my thoughts are not confirmable. Could wrong, but there may be some truth in this as I have read about loudspeaker manufacturers using interferometry to measure and control cabinet resonances. And, loudspeaker cabinets are a lot smaller than my large listening room walls and, especially, the much less braced ceiling. Thoughts?

This is actually a real concern. I volunteer on my church's buildings and grounds committee and when we hired a firm to tune the new DPS sound system I tagged along with the folks that did the work. One of the things that they liked about our building was the relatively high amount of exposed brick that is generally among the more acoustically consistent surfaces. Surfaces that measure out with similar reverb / dampening can actually have things called "coincident dips" that require more carefully designed narrow spectrum / phase-based tuning... (this is also why I recommend folks spring for the highest resolution room correction, typically homes are harder to tune than commercial construction -- http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors)

More details on these topics --
http://web.mit.edu/parmstr/Public/NRCan/CanBldgDigests/cbd239_e.html

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/acoustic_IOI/101_22.htm

http://wiki.naturalfrequency.com/wiki/Sound_Transmission

Edited by renov8r (07/26/16 03:02 PM)

#95923 - 07/26/16 11:00 PM Re: Ultra-X12 Subwoofer Floor Loading [Re: Uncle Steve]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I would try to re-position the sub to another area first and check to make all the speakers are in phase with one another. Next try adjusting your crossover point higher to remove your mains from the equation so they are not adding to your woes. Years ago (and several times since) the woofers in my Advents had deteriorated foam rings and sounded terribly muddy. As you can tell I don't think it is the sub causing the issue, (unless it is damaged) but more of how the sub is interacting with your system and the room. As stated before, I have the predecessor to the X12 but the design is very similar. I get excellent response from it for both music and HT.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts