Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#959 - 01/27/02 10:24 PM Atlantis DVD Audio Dropouts
synthfreek Offline
Gunslinger

This is a first. For the first 2 minutes of Atlantis the audio drops out completely exactly every 4 seconds for about 2 seconds. After that it pretty much does the same thing but occasionally will play for about 10 seconds before doing the 4 second/2 second thing again for a while. This is the second one I've tried & they both do exactly the same thing. Also the Digital light(above the DTS light) turns off right after the silence starts and comes back on a second later. I'm sure it's my DVD player but has anyone else had the same problem with their 1050?

------------------

[This message has been edited by synthfreek (edited January 27, 2002).]

#960 - 01/27/02 10:59 PM Re: Atlantis DVD Audio Dropouts
digitaltinker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Does this happen on DTS or only with Dolby Digital? A similar problem has been reported with Jurrasic Park III, but only on the Dolby Digital track (DTS is fine).

#961 - 01/27/02 11:21 PM Re: Atlantis DVD Audio Dropouts
synthfreek Offline
Gunslinger

Atlantis does not have a DTS option.

------------------

#962 - 01/27/02 11:40 PM Re: Atlantis DVD Audio Dropouts
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Is this track supposed to be Dolby Digital EX? Sounds like the exact same behavior some people have seen on Jurassic Park III and Pearl Harbor.

Just answered my own question -- it is DD EX encoded. Sounds like the same problem as JP3 and PH. Also sounds like time for the studios to try to fix their problem.

By the way, I rented JP3 today (mainly to test it out on my 1050). I haven't watched it yet, but checked it briefly and the Dolby Digital soundtrack seems to work fine on my 1050 (played on a Panasonic A310, connected via coax digital). Makes me wonder even more if it is at least partially the fault of newer players and how they pass the EX flag. I'd be curious to see some report from the industry on what the problem really is here, since it was partly responsible for the delays on the 950.

------------------
Gonk

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited January 27, 2002).]

#963 - 01/28/02 12:42 AM Re: Atlantis DVD Audio Dropouts
Jonathan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hey Gonk, did you watch JP3 in Dolby Digital 5.1 or 6.1 cuz it works perfectly fine in 6.1 mode it just drops off in 5.1 mode.

and Synthfreek I thought Atlantis comes with DTS??? Did you get the regular version or the Special Edition?

#964 - 01/28/02 02:01 AM Re: Atlantis DVD Audio Dropouts
synthfreek Offline
Gunslinger

I'm assuming it's just the "regular" version. DD 5.1 only. Another thing: digital connection is via optical cable.

------------------

#965 - 01/28/02 07:38 AM Re: Atlantis DVD Audio Dropouts
gonk Offline
Desperado

I watched JP3 in 6.1, and the review of Atlantis that I saw indicated no DTS track...

------------------
Gonk

#966 - 01/28/02 11:28 AM Re: Atlantis DVD Audio Dropouts
Scott Offline
Desperado

Attention 1050 owners:

There are three discs with potential dropout problems. They are Pearl Harbor, JP III, and Atlantis. These discs all have one thing in common, a new encoder algorithm developed by Dolby which include provisions for EX flag recognition. There are several brands of units on the market (all of them with 6.1 flag recognition circuitry) that exhibit this problem. Both Dolby and the film studios are aware of the anomaly and are taking steps to resolve this matter. There is nothing defective in the 1050 in that it was designed and certified by Dolby in all of its DD operations, including 6.1 flag recognition.

For the time being the way around this problem is to watch the films in DTS. If on Atlantis there is no DTS track then you might possibly encounter this problem in Dolby Digital. If you do encounter this anomaly, we will all have to wait for Dolby and the studios to resolve this problem.

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited January 28, 2002).]

#967 - 01/28/02 12:06 PM Re: Atlantis DVD Audio Dropouts
gonk Offline
Desperado

Yike! While it's true that we've known about this for a bit (see this thread if you missed it before) as related to Jurassic Park III and Pearl Harbor, it's still sort of a pain to see it continuing on new releases. Last time I checked, it affected Outlaw, Onkyo, and a few others. Hopefully Dolby has had time now to start watching upcoming releases. Thanks for the confirmation, Scott.

Here's an idea that occurred to me for people with Atlantis who are having problems. It's a pretty irritating solution (since it means possibly having to fall back to Pro-Logic), but it might be worth trying to use the DVD player's internal decoding. Connect the stereo analog outputs and the flag that's causing all of this should go away (the 1050 would then be processing a two-channel analog input through its Dolby Pro Logic decoder). Or, if your player has a Dolby Digital decoder and you have some analog interconnects handy, use the player's internal DD decoder and go to the 1050's 5.1 input. If either of these work for synthfreek or anyone else, let us know...

------------------
Gonk

#968 - 01/28/02 07:16 PM Re: Atlantis DVD Audio Dropouts
Jonathan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
If anyone is interested in getting the Atlantis DVD get the Special Edition because that one DOES come with DTS so incase the DDigital doesn't work you could always fall back to DTS which should be better anyways.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts