Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#95871 - 07/09/16 09:22 AM 975 changing settings on its own
DanHouck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I continue to experience the 975 changing settings on its own either at shutdown or startup, not sure which one.

The things it changes are the audio out to TV, which I have to keep turning off, and sometimes the audio setting on one of my sources, on OPlay, it changes from HDMI1 to analog.

It takes some fiddling to get the 975 to handshake properly with the OPlay, I am changing to a better cable this week to see if that helps the problem.

My 975 is connected to a power monitor/cleaner with the rest of my system as that is required here in Mexico to protect HT gear. That is off except when I am running a movie.

It has been suggested to leave the 975 powered up on standby at all times. This would be difficult to do as it would require a separate power protector. I've never had a piece of equipment that either required this or changed its user settings on its own.

This doesn't happen all the time but it does so enough that it is annoying as I have to fiddle with things for a few minutes before we can watch a movie.

Any suggestions?

#95872 - 07/09/16 03:09 PM Re: 975 changing settings on its own [Re: DanHouck]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Never heard of OPlay. I did find an HD player called the O!Play which may be what you have. I would verify that the output of your power cleaner is the correct voltage but the 975 should not change its own settings on its own and especially not on your sources. It sounds like the HDMI handshake is possibly dependent on the order which you start your equipment. It may also be that the 975 is not sensing the O!Play through the HDMI connection and setting itself to analog. I don't think it has the capability to change a source components settings although the component itself may adjust based on what it is sensing also.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#95873 - 07/09/16 03:27 PM Re: 975 changing settings on its own [Re: DanHouck]
DanHouck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Voltage is good, that's the first thing I checked.

I'm going to change the order of startup and see if that helps. The O!Play has this annoying feature where it automatically goes to on at powerup. So before I turn the 975 on, I'll turn the O!Play off and then turn it back on after I start the 975.

I'm also swapping to a newer and supposedly higher quality HDMI cable.

I've never had a piece of equipment that would change user input settings on their own. In particular, changing the audio setting to HDMI out to TV is a mystery. It has done that three times now. Before trying to watch anything I have to go into the setup menus and correct the changes the thing is making on its own. Pretty annoying.

Edited by DanHouck (07/09/16 03:30 PM)

#95874 - 07/09/16 04:23 PM Re: 975 changing settings on its own [Re: DanHouck]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
The only handshake issue I have experienced is between the 975 and my Samsung TV. If the 975 is turned on first there have been rare instances the 975 to TV handshake will fail. As long as the TV is turned on first the remainder of the power on sequence does not seem to matter. I am guessing this has something to do with the ARC function.

I have never had the 975 change settings on its own. It will be interesting to hear from Ben.

#95877 - 07/12/16 08:25 AM Re: 975 changing settings on its own [Re: DanHouck]
DanHouck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

How about it, Ben?

#95882 - 07/13/16 09:37 AM Re: 975 changing settings on its own [Re: DanHouck]
Outlaw Ben Offline

Gunslinger

Your settings should not be changing on their own. Something like electrostatic discharge can cause chips to have 'hiccups', if you will. Please try a system reset by having the Model 975 ON and holding both TUNER and MUTE on the front panel; please note, you will lose all settings as this will wipe the microprocessor back to factory default. Please email me at customerservice@outlawaudio.com with your results, so we can be of further assistance.

#95885 - 07/13/16 06:40 PM Re: 975 changing settings on its own [Re: DanHouck]
DanHouck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well last night nothing changed but when I first started it up, the image was all green. Then I flipped between the DVD player and the O!Play and it cleared right up. The sound wasn't affected at all. This could have been a projector burp.

I put a higher quality HDMI cable in there, that may have solved the handshaking problem.

Tell me more about electrostatic discharge. The unit is in a rack by itself and very well ventilated. Where might this be coming from?

Once the 975 settles down it is excellent! I really like it!!

#95886 - 07/13/16 08:41 PM Re: 975 changing settings on its own [Re: DanHouck]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
I wonder if the OPlay might be outputting a voltage spike as part of its start/handshake process. Just for the heck of it try switching the 975 to a different source other than the OPlay before shut down next time around. Let everything wake up then switch to the OPlay and see what happens.

Unless you have a cat that sleeps in the equipment rack I am not sure where the static might be coming from. Does anything in the vacinity of the electronics ever give you a shock? I do know a lady who has a cat that would get behind the rack and rub around creating display issues if things were on at the time. I doubt that is what Ben had in mind

#95890 - 07/14/16 01:43 PM Re: 975 changing settings on its own [Re: DanHouck]
DanHouck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Last time I started up, I let the O!Play start first and settle down with its interaction with the hard drive. When I got the green screen I turned on the DVD player, switched the 975 to it, got a normal image, switched back to the O!Play and everything worked fine. Checked the settings to make sure nothing changed, everything good there.

Audio did not act up this time.

Our cat only settles for a soft bed or a very comfortable chair or his first preference, lap with a hand for head rubbing.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts