Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#95862 - 06/30/16 08:02 PM Re: AV7702 or AV7701? [Re: mdrconsult]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
It sounds like a handshake issue with the HDMI connection. It could be the order in which the system starts up or a standby idle condition with either the TV or the cable box.. With all the channels of audio why wouldn't you use the 8802 all the time.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#95864 - 07/01/16 11:48 AM Re: AV7702 or AV7701? [Re: mdrconsult]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I agree with Xenonman. Sounds like a handshake issue. The TV should be turned on first, as that is the device that is most responsible for a successful handshake.
How long is the HDMI cable run to the TV? If it's too long, over 25ft, you may need an active HDMI cable.

#95866 - 07/06/16 03:27 PM Re: AV7702 or AV7701? [Re: wolverine]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By: wolverine
As a long time Outlaw 990 preamp owner (from the initial shipment!) I have been following the saloon for more than 10 years. I had been waiting patiently for years now for the follow-on affordable near-high-end successor. Since I am not getting any younger, I finally gave up and purchased a new Marantz 8802. While not cheap, it is a great piece of hardware. But then I have waited so long, I was able to splurge a little. :-)

Since the functionality is probably very similar to the 7701 and 7702, I have only one issue with it. I have the standby mode HDMI pass through set to ON and connected to my cable box so we can watch most TV without turning on the whole HT system. It seems to work...sort of, but if the TV is off for a while -- definitely by an hour, but certainly by a few hours or overnight, if I turn on the TV it will not connect to the cable box. If I turn the TV off and on again, or change the TV to another input and back to the Marantz again, it connects successfully every time. At any time, if I turn the TV off and right back on again it is fine. If I shut the Marantz off (that is, back to standby) it reconnects the cable box successfully to the TV. It is a nice feature because the Marantz cuts the sound to the TV if the Marantz is on, but passes through both audio and video if the Marantz is off.

It is getting rather tedious to have to turn the TV on then off then on again for it to work -- especially for my wife!

Has anyone here had this issue with the 7701 or 7702, and if so did you find a solution? And, yes, I contacted Marantz support but they were not any help. They asked me about settings I already had set correctly. But I have always found the Outlaws here very helpful.

My old 990 was working just fine, and I feel kind of sorry for it in the basement. :-(

BTW: I have a Pioneer 6020 TV and an Xfinity X1 cable box.

My guess is that there is a setting on the CABLE BOX that is disabling its HDMI output. I am 99% sure that there is an "energy saving mode" that turns off the output after a period of time (I think default is 4 hours of inactivity, but it varies by the model / firmware of the cable box...) I don't know if there is a way to totally eliminate the "power save mode" as it may be baked-in by "Energy Star" regulations -- http://customer.pdc.prd.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-power-save-faqs#turn_on

#95867 - 07/06/16 03:46 PM Re: AV7702 or AV7701? [Re: Helson]
wolverine Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
Thanks Helson and Xenonman. Yes, I figured it was a handshake issue. I am trying to figure out if it is the TV or the Marantz. Turning the TV on first, sort of defeats the purpose of the pass-through. The cable box is on all the time -- it's the main DVR box. The Marantz is either on standby or "on" and when "on" then all works fine. If the TV is on and I turn the Marantz to on and back to standby, the handshake is successful.

It is almost as if the Marantz isn't really providing a hard-connection pass-through mode to the cable box after some time, but turning the TV on the first time wakes something up so it always handshakes properly the second time.

I have no more than 10-ft in-wall HDMI cable from the Marantz to the TV and a 1.5-m cable from the Marantz to the cable box. It should be easy to change the short cable. I'll try that first.

#95868 - 07/06/16 03:49 PM Re: AV7702 or AV7701? [Re: mdrconsult]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I had the X1 platform previously. That power saving mode, as I recall, isn't the default setting.
But, shouldn't the box "wake up" once you start using it?

#95878 - 07/12/16 12:10 PM Re: AV7702 or AV7701? [Re: Helson]
wolverine Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, Helson, but X1 box is always ON. I have not used any power saving mode on it, that I know of. It was always fine when the TV was attached directly to the X1 box. It is seems something between the TV and Marantz handshake, even though one would think the passthrough should make a hardwire connection directly from the TV to the cable box. I have switched HDMI cables, run firmware updates on both the Marantz and the TV, but still no change. It seems not to be the X1 box not waking up but the TV not making the connection.

It is just odd.

#95887 - 07/14/16 10:04 AM Re: AV7702 or AV7701? [Re: mdrconsult]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
The very fact that you can turn the pass through feature on/off means it is not a direct connection. The processor allows an electronic bypass around its video capabilities but the circuitry may still be playing a part. I understand your need to conserve electricity and/or the life of your processor but...the Marantz has much better DACs and video circuits than either your TV or your cable box. It was specifically designed for high end processing whereas the other two are likely designed for high end profit, more than performance. When it was designed, I will bet it was thought that it would be on all the time in the stream and the pass through feature was a throw in.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#95893 - 07/14/16 02:58 PM Re: AV7702 or AV7701? [Re: XenonMan]
wolverine Offline
Gunslinger

Interesting point about the pass through not really being a direct connection, though as designed the standby power is supposed to be enough to maintain the electronic connection.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts