Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >
Topic Options
#95817 - 06/09/16 09:02 AM New processor?
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Can we get another update on the new processor? Heck, at this point does it even have a name?

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#95818 - 06/09/16 03:44 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Texas
If I remember correctly the last delay was an issue with one of the chip suppliers.

I have no short term plans past 5.1 so am happy with the M-975 but am interested in the direction the new processor will be going. I need a 5 channel amp but have to sell my monster Adcom stereo amp first.

#95819 - 06/09/16 06:03 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
The ups and down of "digital technology" development projects can seem baffling. I work in very tiny little corner of the big business that will (thankfully...) never grab the headlines but I also watch some of the "rockstars" of the industry get beaten up worse than golf balls in a blender...

The guy that lead the team at Apple that created the iPod and then went on to be founder of the firm that revolutionized how tech savvy people monitor / protect their homes has been shown the door Nest -- http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/04/technology/tony-fadell-nest-google-alphabet.html

A while back Jim Barton, the guy that was the "tech" behind TiVo was similarly politely pushed out -- http://www.cnet.com/news/tivo-co-founder-and-cto-jim-barton-steps-down/

Timelines for efforts like these are so unpredictable and often get so costly that it is wonder that The Outlaws disclose as much as they do. Fortunately it does not seem like that even the most "booster driven" sources see 4K taking over anytime soon, so there is really no rush and I hope the Outlaw's past wisdom in preferring to offer the RIGHT solution over the fast solution continues to be the value-oriented way for those of us that know what we want...

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/E...deo-111408.aspx

#95820 - 06/10/16 11:30 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Funny you mentioned 4K video. A friend's son is in his last semester in an A/V program down in Houston. He is telling me the feeling about 4K video is lukewarm at best. ATMOS is viewed the same way. He said they had a person from Dolby labs come speak who gave the impression sales staff would see more benefit from ATMOS than the consumer ever will.

One of the dealers on the Polk forum just spent big money making the move to 4K to what sounds like little to no benefit. Visually he felt the 4K was only better than the Blue Ray when much closer to the display than normal viewing distances. If I have to sit six to eight feet from a 60" (or larger) display to see any benefit then I am not sure I see the point.

I know everyone who skipped the M-975 are quite interested in the new unit but can also understand a company like Outlaw taking its time adopting the new formats. The big companies have no choice when it comes to adding any new features as soon as possible. 90% of buyers are attracted to one receiver or pre/pro over another based on the bells and whistles so the big name brand that does not offer every option regardless of actual function will lose sales.

#95821 - 06/10/16 04:09 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

4K is not really about "what looks good on a 60" screen" -- it is more about the color depth. The benefits of this are really challenging for most folks to even think about because our "real world" of crayons, chalk, paints, make-up, and clothing is based on "analog color" where the difference between one color and another is achieved with infinitely tiny tweaks or physical pigment. In the digital world the bits that are available to record and reproduce color are totally discrete and when we increase the bit depth we allow more accurate gradations. Here is a little demonstration of this works -- tricky to illustrate what the limitations are -- http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/bit-depth.htm

I also would point out that 4K resolution is very obvious with a high quality projector. The most value priced 4K projectors are still well over $5000 but honestly I have seen even regular DVDs and broadcast content upscaled on the Sony projectors and the image truly is a "night & day" increase in the visual impact. The pixels are so much more tightly packed and smoothly animated that everything seems far more lifelike. The technical details of what happens with modern upscalers are kind of amazing -- http://www.cockam.com/viddoubl.htm

The same sort of "wow this is MUCH better" is also true regarding Atmos (or DTS-X & other immersive / object oriented formats). As the sound designers have gotten better at working with the whole production chain, from writers and directors to effects people and even actors) they have learned how to really create a far more convincing "acoustic space" in their movies. Just like I can take a blindfolded person and have them instantly tell me "I am in an office / now I am in a hotel room / now I am in kitchen of midsized home" as the same dialog or ambient sounds are repeated -- it is possible to really make the whole sense of being in different kinds of "space" driven by immersive audio technology. Folks that are old enough might recall the not very convincing efforts to use digital reverb to simulate a "concert hall" vs "jazz club" and the reason for those failures actually trace back to the differences that a once very innovative Dr. Amar Bose worked out regarding direct vs reflected sound. It is not just time delay! There are actually different properties of which frequencies get reflected / absorbed. Hard to do that without tailoring the speaker outputs!

Unfortunately until recently the amount of calculations and data needed to get ALL the timings, frequency curves and angles ACCURATELY plugged in made such efforts "muddy" but the innovations in DSP chips have made it possible to keep the DISCRETE info in the dedicated channels and seamlessly reproduce a huge range of startlingly convincing environments. The well done home theater installations in homes or dedicated showrooms cannot be compared to the "quick and dirty" simulations that chain stores attempt...

Edited by renov8r (06/10/16 04:13 PM)

#95822 - 06/10/16 04:28 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Almost two years without a name? Doesn't seem that "tech" to give it model number/Name. In older cultures not naming the child until it could actually be considered to survive was the norm.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE

#95823 - 06/11/16 01:52 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

I can see both sides of announcing a name. I agree with you Xenon, two years is plenty of time to give a new product a name/model number. I can also understand Outlaw not announcing a name/model number for a product that does not yet exist in the physical realm.

If I were in your position waiting for a new unit with an idea to upgrade I would be frustrated as well.

I get what you are saying renov8er. The big Sony in question was a 75" with a $6,000+ retail. The general opinion from the pixel peepers was ho hum at best. I get that some people have to have the latest and greatest. I also get that anyone doing a new media room build out might as well go for the gusto.

For me I am glad I am not in either group. If I had a spare five to six thousand laying around right now a new TV would not make the top ten list.

#95824 - 06/12/16 09:14 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
I just wish we could get a little tidbit of info every now and then.
I can understand Outlaws reluctance to say to much after the last couple of fiascoes.
I am still waiting patiently but the urge to update my 990 is getting stronger by the day.
The Emotiva XMC-1 is trying to draw me in.
Must resist!!!!!!!

Edited by butchgo (06/12/16 09:16 AM)
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Enzo XL L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#95825 - 06/13/16 11:27 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
TL5 Offline
Gunslinger

Some additional info would be nice, like: what kind of room correction? (if any...) What kind of DAC's? How many HDMI inputs/outputs?

#95826 - 06/13/16 11:46 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Okay since Outlaw hasn't named it, I will. I am going to call it the Phoenix for the obvious reasons.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#95828 - 06/13/16 07:01 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I like it, Xenonman!

#95830 - 06/14/16 09:58 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Okay since Outlaw hasn't named it, I will. I am going to call it the Phoenix for the obvious reasons.

I like it.

If you name it maybe they will send you one for a trial.

#95831 - 06/14/16 11:12 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

It would be interesting but I don't want to disassemble my HT to put in a new processor. I do have two Outlaw amp I could test it with though.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#95832 - 06/14/16 12:56 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

I'd be willing to disassemble! Of course, I don't think it'd be too hard to swap out my 975 for the Phoenix. smile

#95835 - 06/14/16 09:06 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

I would take one for a test drive if the Outlaws offered.

Time to give up the interconnects and embrace HDMI Xenon. Using my OPPO 103 and the M-975 I hear no difference in sound quality between HDMI and standard RCA interconnects. I am happy to be rid of the extra cables.

#95836 - 06/15/16 08:27 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

My HT system is all HDMI. The music system is optical and RCA with a USB from a laptop. Except for the mechanical connection I prefer HDMI just for the simplicity. I will have to use RCA to connect all my old stuff to the 990 if I ever do.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#95838 - 06/17/16 09:22 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia

I vote for Pinocchio. smile

#95840 - 06/20/16 09:13 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

I agree with you regarding the generally crappy nature of HDMI's mechanical connection. Once the new house is ready I am switching to a vertical rack so have not yet spent the extra on better HDMI cables. Some type of locking connector will be included.

On the upside it is nice to be rid of the impedance matching issues that can be associated with standard interconnects.

#95842 - 06/20/16 10:46 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Not to hijack the thread too much, but can anyone recommend a decent HDMI cable that's not break the bank expensive? I've just been using the Amazon Basics cables and for the most part they're pretty good. However, every now and then I'll get audio dropouts and from what I've seen in poking around online, it's likely the fault of the cable. I'm not interested in spending hundreds of dollars on an HDMI cable, but I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade the one or two I use the most.

Then I'll have good cables in place if I get to beta test the Phoenix. Look at that. I brought it around on topic again! cool

#95843 - 06/20/16 11:38 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Blue Jeans cables and Monoprice have great prices on good cables of all sorts. BJC goes the extra mile and explains the difference between the different versions of their HDMI cables. I use them for all my interconnects and HDMI cables. If you are experiencing dropouts on HDMI and the cable length is less than about 25 feet I would look at the connection itself. HDMI is real sensitive to losing its mechanical connection when you bump the cable or move equipment or the cabinet. I try to support my cables from above to lessen the pull on the cable. If you have thick stiff cables it is more of a problem.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#95854 - 06/26/16 05:24 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Georgia, US of A!
...since Outlaw hasn't named it, I will. I am going to call it the Phoenix...
Good one. I'll be a beta tester given the chance though I doubt my TV will be up to the 4K task. But I place SQ/reproduction right up w/video & I'm confident my system will easily meet that challange.

Side note: Rotel's latest $3500 offering, out almost a year now, doesn't do Atmos or 4K either. Their 5th, and finally successful, attempt at HDMI. I mention this because I was a disciple through two of their (sans HDMI) processors for 6 years - HDMI versions way behind the industry, not to forget hearing nightmarish stories about HDMI handshake issues, & fail firmware upgrades.

That is until I became a "Gun slinger!" Way better SQ, way less cabling, and NEW to boot!

Later, Tony

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
BJC 10 ga - LCR mids*, inside & out
8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: Tri-amped Polk RTi A7
Rotel RB980s -> woofers; Rotel RB981s -> mids w/phase plugs & tweeters
CC: bi-amped Polk CSi A6 -> Rotel RB981
SWs: Sunfire & 4 Audio Pros - LFE True Sig; 4 Evidence - 1 @ ea corner
Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> Polk RTi A3
Power Conditioning & Distribution:
3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman MP-20s

#95888 - 07/14/16 12:07 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Blue Jeans cables and Monoprice have great prices on good cables of all sorts. BJC goes the extra mile and explains the difference between the different versions of their HDMI cables. I use them for all my interconnects and HDMI cables. If you are experiencing dropouts on HDMI and the cable length is less than about 25 feet I would look at the connection itself. HDMI is real sensitive to losing its mechanical connection when you bump the cable or move equipment or the cabinet. I try to support my cables from above to lessen the pull on the cable. If you have thick stiff cables it is more of a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered a nice short Blue Jeans HDMI cable. Between what is likely a better quality cable than the generic Amazon Basics and the much shorter length, I'm hopeful the random dropouts will abate.

Check it out, Outlaws! I'm upgrading cabling so I can be ready to beta test the new Phoenix for you... grin

#95892 - 07/14/16 02:20 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

At this point I would refer to it as "the old Phoenix"!

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#95894 - 07/15/16 12:22 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seneca, SC
"Holy Mac-real Outlaws!!" It has been another year+, or about 2 1/2 years I/We have been waiting. Now I know we have all been late with product over the years - maybe 6 months, 8 months, but never this late. "I need, no you need" to deliver the box. I am having handshake problems with the Samsung K8500 to Sony 350ES 4K projector. Samsung has updated the firmware a couple times, but I am not sure what they are tweaking. (Sony does not help by putting HDCP only on Input 2.) Overall, the goofiness of splitting the audio over to the 975 and video (+audio) directly to the projector has got to stop. We need the miracle glue in the new Outlaw 1010 (Model 1K with 10 channel processing) surround processor to cradle the digital streams and make the world right again. You guys are the "old style" wizard - you understand how to wrangle electrons, and if anyone can do it will be you. Tell me you are about ready to pop the news we are waiting for and start shipping the new box before Labor day.

Edited by JDB001 (07/15/16 12:24 AM)

#95896 - 07/15/16 08:52 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
TL5 Offline
Gunslinger

Yes, Outlaw....time for another update - this time with specs & pics!

#95918 - 07/25/16 05:22 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
candyman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Beaverton
*ping*

Requesting a pre-pro update.

Edited by candyman (07/25/16 05:29 PM)
Samsung 65" LED TV
Front: Martin Logan reQuests & Logos
Surround: Martin Logan Fresco i via Outlaw OAWA3
Sub: ACI Maestro w/ ICE amp

#95925 - 07/27/16 08:08 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Strider53 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Detroit
Hey Candyman,
A pre-pro update with specs and pictures, would be nice. Don't think it will happen until the Outlaws are good and ready (when the Pre-Pro is ready). But we can always hope!
How do you like the Yamaha?

Jeff

#95934 - 08/01/16 08:36 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I guess since I named it I have to come up with the update too!

Let's see:
The new Phoenix processor is well designed and will have all the bells and whistles that anyone could ever need, when it is released. The Phoenix is so far advanced that we are still trying to develop some whama-dyne gizmos to perform all of the functions we have promised. Unfortunately there isn't enough processing power available at this time to process the processes, so we have to once again delay any news until someone, somewhere finally shames us into revealing the smallest details about it's release dates or maybe a picture of some nebulous circuit board or array of buttons and lights. We realize that many customers have lost interest in the never ending process of processing this processor. Bearing this in mind, we will be processing a whole new line of processors, processed using other processes. During this process we will process any specific requests for information using our normal process. We expect this process to take a little longer than our usual process of processing processors so relax and let the process, process.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#95935 - 08/02/16 12:57 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
That's as good as any other update I've seen. Thanks for the vague info! smile smile
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#95936 - 08/02/16 07:13 PM Re: New processor? [Re: Strider53]
candyman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Beaverton
I'm happy with the CX-A5000. It has more features than I currently need and enough to future proof me for quite a while. It was an upgrade feature-wise from my long-time, trusty Outlaw 990. Plus, I always had a soft spot for Yamaha processors, ever since my college roommate purchased the Yamaha DSP-100 to accentuate his JBL studio monitors--we sounded GOOD in the dorm.

I wanted to upgrade the 990 to another Outlaw product but 997 and 998/978 unfortunately didn't make it to market, and the 975--while very nice--didn't quite tick enough check boxes. I'm hoping the Outlaw Phoenix (tm-XenonMan) pre-pro releases and does well.
Samsung 65" LED TV
Front: Martin Logan reQuests & Logos
Surround: Martin Logan Fresco i via Outlaw OAWA3
Sub: ACI Maestro w/ ICE amp

#95937 - 08/02/16 11:01 PM Re: New processor? [Re: candyman]
corsabrin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Westland, MI
Waiting so long for the Outlaw Phoenix (™ XenonMan) to rise from the ashes has me looking at other options to upgrade my ancient HK receiver. There are some nice deals on last year receiver models that have pre-outs from Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha. I have been waiting in the Saloon for so long that I think the bar has run dry and it's finally time to mosey on down the road to quench my thirst elsewhere...

#95938 - 08/03/16 11:27 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

While I too am concerned that this effort seems to be dragging on, and that generally is not a sign that things are progressing all that well, I well recall the blown timelines of others in similar market space. Simply put, this remains a very tiny part of a market that is not exactly "booming" as flat / declining consumer spending for non-essentials is really hurting this segment.

Here is a thread that highlights some of the other options -- http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20448-Current-best-pre-pros-under-4K

#95942 - 08/05/16 03:41 AM Re: New processor? [Re: renov8r]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Originally Posted By renov8r

Here is a thread that highlights some of the other options -- http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20448-Current-best-pre-pros-under-4K

Thanks for the link. I found those same models, except for the Emotiva, when doing some research when I thought my 990 was about to die. In addition, the considerable inconvenience of no HDMI in the 990 is starting to make the folks in my household restless. Gotta say though a recent Outlaw sale had their 7-channel 200 watt balanced amp made by ATI paired with the Marantz 7702MKII for the same price as the Anthem AVM-60 alone. While my 5-channel ATI is doing fine it was tempting, for a brief moment, to upgrade my pre/pro and get a new amp to boot. The decision to continue waiting for a more full featured Outlaw pre/pro may be made for me if the 990 quits in the near future or there is too much clamoring for Apple TV, game consoles and an upgraded cable box.

#95958 - 08/20/16 09:35 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

YO!!! Outlaws, anyone awake in there? It has been over a year and a half since the last update. What's happening? Any hot-dog AVPs (or just one) running loose in Outlaw-land and just waiting to (jump the fence and) be set free? While the most recent product line fillers were interesting, we need the UHD video/9.2/5.1.4 signal processing/switching hot box (that taunts our dreams - yeah, I know, not necessarily a good thing - and) to restore our faith in electrons. What gives? You got anything?

#95959 - 08/21/16 11:14 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

And just like an animal that might jump the fence, it has no name. It supposedly offers all the features any audio/videophile might want but I fear the industry is changing faster than Outlaw can keep up. Between 3D/Atmos/DTS-x/HDCP2.2/UHDTV/HDR displays/HDMI2.0 and all the various streaming apps and who knows what else, it is almost impossible for a smaller company to create a processor that encompasses all of these, plus, be backwards compatible with at least a portion of what has come before. I see a small company like Outlaw being unable to keep up with the changes in real time and unwilling to bring a device to market that doesn't measure up to their standards. I hope that Outlaw brings the Phoenix to market soon with whatever feature set it provides and then quickly launches a receiver based on the processor with whatever tech comes up in the interim. Outlaw, get it out there or cancel it and give up trying to bring one to market. Focus on Amps, Subwoofers and customer service which is what you do best.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#95960 - 08/22/16 06:17 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By XenonMan
And just like an animal that might jump the fence, it has no name. It supposedly offers all the features any audio/videophile might want but I fear the industry is changing faster than Outlaw can keep up. Between 3D/Atmos/DTS-x/HDCP2.2/UHDTV/HDR displays/HDMI2.0 and all the various streaming apps and who knows what else, it is almost impossible for a smaller company to create a processor that encompasses all of these, plus, be backwards compatible with at least a portion of what has come before. I see a small company like Outlaw being unable to keep up with the changes in real time and unwilling to bring a device to market that doesn't measure up to their standards. I hope that Outlaw brings the Phoenix to market soon with whatever feature set it provides and then quickly launches a receiver based on the processor with whatever tech comes up in the interim. Outlaw, get it out there or cancel it and give up trying to bring one to market. Focus on Amps, Subwoofers and customer service which is what you do best.

Xenon:

On one level I understand what you are saying but the fact is that making changes to firmware is not really any easier for the "big guys" than it is for the little guys. It really comes down to the firms that make the chips failing to put sufficient information out regarding how to actually make all the features work. Some of that is due to wrong documentation, others suffer from failing to actually consider how much the real world operation of these features work when trying to support hundred or thousands of options. The industry has far too few people willing to take on the hard work of increasing the ease of programming their devices. Sadly lots of projects from firms like Yamaha, Sony and Bose get delayed or cancel too, and the reason often is that the development costs outstrip any potential revenue that the firms can anticipate in a sector that increasingly has very little room for anything but the "highest end" electronics.

From the info that Peter T shares it is likely that whatever issues are still to be tackled are not so severe as to doom the whole firm; at least his other ventures continue to release new products, which is something that once high flying firms only wish they could do -- http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Atlant...-Speakers.shtml vs http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleidescape_is_shutting_down_interview_with_ceo_cheena_srinivasan

#95961 - 08/22/16 07:35 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

The biggest downside to being a small company like Outlaw is that while they are developing a new processor they are not selling any other models. Companys like Yamaha , Onkyo, and others can weather a product which doesn't meet all of the benchmarks. Outlaw can't do that and stay in the market. If their one and only processor doesn't make it--KABOOM!

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#95968 - 08/25/16 11:22 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

OUTLAWS!!!! OUTLAWS!! OUTLAWS! Throw us a bone! You got anything?

#95969 - 08/26/16 01:47 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Are there really any Outlaws out there who are seriously waiting (literally) for years for Outlaw to come up with a new processor? I'm kind of curious as to the rationale of those who are ready to go for some new gear but are willing to forestall their move indefinitely, absent any word from Outlaw as to when they might actually produce something. I am a big time Outlaw fan,at various times I have owned a 1070, a 950, a 990, a 755, a couple of 200's, even an ICBM-1, but when I was ready to move into HDMI from the 990 (which I loved, BTW) a few years of false starts convinced me to look elsewhere. I'm currently running a Marantz 7701 and other than the usual upgrade itch, I'm really pleased with it and am glad that I didn't wait. Again, this isn't an Outlaw slam post by ANY means, I'm just wondering how long folks are willing to wait. Might be an interesting discussion, or it might be just more teeth-gnashing.
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box

#95970 - 08/26/16 03:02 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

For myself I have no plans on upgrading soon but I am very interested in the Phoenix processor. If it comes in reasonably priced it could be my next processor. I am waiting until the market stabilizes a little from all the new codecs and video options. I didn't buy into 3D and don't believe UHD is going to be a big improvement since I sit 10-12 feet from my display anyway. Faster screens with no motion blur are what I am looking for. The object codecs are interesting but I am also not buying the need for special speakers for overhead sounds. For my part, IF and WHEN these things become mainstream with source material I may get into upgrading. Even then, I will outfit a set of cheap speakers with some mounting flanges and use those overhead.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#95985 - 08/29/16 11:47 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

I'm in a similar boat with XenonMan. The 975 is fitting my needs currently but I'd like to see what the Phoenix has in store for my next upgrade. We're mulling over a future garage conversion that may eventually become a dedicated home theater room. If that pans out, I'll definitely toss in some overhead speakers for ATMOS or what have you. That's likely a few years out so I'm in no rush and there should be a definite indication whether or not that's even a good idea by then. smile

#96015 - 09/08/16 10:17 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

I have a brilliant marketing idea for Peter: Announce that they've decided to drop the analog headphone port on the next Pre-Pro. That seems to be the story that media outlets have glomed onto today about a certain iteration of personal music / computing / telephone device. Lots of free coverage. Ought to help drive revenue so they can hire a speedier firmware coding team...

I kid! I kid!

#96066 - 09/28/16 04:54 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
geoff Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Pittsburgh
I am really dying for some news here. What with Oppo's announcement of the UDP-203 (and probable 205 to follow), I'm very close to upgrading the stack.

I know it's wishful thinking but... Any hints, Outlaw Ben?

#96067 - 09/28/16 04:55 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
geoff Offline
Gunslinger

(sorry, accidental double-post)

#96119 - 10/31/16 11:26 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
geoff Offline
Gunslinger

10 months later, still no update. :-(

#96122 - 11/04/16 12:41 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
butchgo Offline
Desperado

I wish they would throw us a bone every now and then.
I really would like to update my 990 at some point and I would really like another Outlaw processor.
Thankfully it is still working perfectly.
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Tekton Enzo XL L/R

#96195 - 12/29/16 12:04 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
fallout Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Anyone else get the feeling the new pre-pro isn't going to happen?

#96196 - 12/29/16 06:23 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
butchgo Offline
Desperado

I think that everyone is getting a little tired of waiting for something, anything to help us continue to wait for it.
I really want to upgrade my 990 and I would really like an Outlaw processor but I am running out of patience.
The Emotiva XMC-1 is looking better every day.
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Tekton Enzo XL L/R

#96198 - 12/31/16 01:02 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Take a look at the build quality of the XMC-1 . It appears to be very good.

http://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/tec...implementation/

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96201 - 01/01/17 04:54 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

I still think it's coming. Unfortunately, this tight lipped approach they've adopted is entirely the fault of the community so we can't really point the finger at them for not sharing more details. They tried that in the past and it failed spectacularly.

Luckily for me, I am just interested to see if it's something I can't live without when it finally lands. I'm not actively in the market for an upgrade at the moment so waiting isn't a big deal for me.

#96202 - 01/01/17 07:38 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

It is not the communities fault that Outlaw hasn't been able to bring these processors to fruition. The announcement for each processor was issued to the community with Outlaws feature set and estimate of delivery and in each case they did not communicate problems they were experiencing during development until the project was cancelled at last minute. I love my Outlaw equipment and their customer service has always been excellent. At this point though, I believe the industry is developing new features faster than a small company can keep up and I don't believe the Phoenix will ever hit the street.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96203 - 01/02/17 02:20 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

Yes, It looks like they are done with processors - amps are hanging on - but a new AVP has apparently slipped from their grasp. I will wait until a few weeks past CES, and then find the best price on a '7703.

#96206 - 01/03/17 10:15 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

JDB001,

We are heading out to CES this week. After we return, we will provide members of the saloon with an update. For the record, we are not exiting the processor category.

Best Regards

Peter

#96208 - 01/03/17 10:54 PM Re: New processor? [Re: PeterT]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By PeterT
JDB001,

We are heading out to CES this week. After we return, we will provide members of the saloon with an update. For the record, we are not exiting the processor category.

Best Regards

Peter

Amen!

#96210 - 01/04/17 04:40 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you Peterfor the update. I am not in the market to update the 975 yet but am interested in seeing the new piece.

Have a great show.

#96211 - 01/04/17 05:38 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

Peter:
Thanks for the positive info - you still have me. Tell us AMAP so it will be easier to stay hooked. We know you (the Outlaws) can do it - as the real AV/HT Pros - so spill your guts, "read us in", and give us the complete info. Its been too long not to tell us the facts, all of the fact. My Visa card is ready to swipe.
JDB

#96212 - 01/06/17 12:02 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Found this blurb on the web indicating that an Outlaw HD Radio is going to be demonstrated.

Will this be part of the new processor or another as yet unannounced product (Move over RR2150)? Only time will tell.
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#96213 - 01/06/17 01:15 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Interesting link EEman. I found the DTS information to support the idea Outlaw has delayed the new processor due to DTS and Atmos having no set standards. Outlaw is not big enough to throw darts at what has been an ever changing standard.

Based on my experience with the 975 I would expect the new unit to have an excellent tuner.

#96214 - 01/07/17 10:39 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
butchgo Offline
Desperado

I am hoping that someone will post pictures of Outlaw's booth and then maybe we might get a sneak peak of something.
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Tekton Enzo XL L/R

#96215 - 01/07/17 11:55 AM Re: New processor? [Re: butchgo]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Hi Butchgo,

Outlaw does not have a booth here and there is no processor on dispay.

We are here for important vendor meetings to be briefed on new technology changes that will affect some of our new products.

In addition to the HD Radio people, we learned that a second technology company would mention us in their general press release. Someone from the press was in their private suite and took a picture of this product. It might appear in a blog tonight.

Although we have been quiet lately we have been very busy with a number of new products.

Peter

#96216 - 01/07/17 12:20 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
TL5 Offline
Gunslinger

I bet it's the Outlaw Ultra-X-13 sub!

#96220 - 01/09/17 08:15 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
EEman Offline
Desperado

I'm betting on the RR2160.

Besides, who wants an Ultra X-13?? Now an Ultra X-15...that'd be exciting laugh

#96222 - 01/10/17 08:04 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Strider53 Offline
Gunslinger

I'm also looking for a 2 channel preamp that won't break the bank ( my wallet ). Wonder if the Outlaws have ever considered this type of product. Something with networking, bass management could be useful.
Jeff

#96223 - 01/10/17 11:28 AM Re: New processor? [Re: Strider53]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By Strider53
I'm also looking for a 2 channel preamp that won't break the bank ( my wallet ). Wonder if the Outlaws have ever considered this type of product. Something with networking, bass management could be useful.
Jeff

You mean like the RR2150? It's two channel and has preamp outputs. Or were you looking strictly for something with no amplification capability to lower the cost more?

#96224 - 01/10/17 01:18 PM Re: New processor? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Strider53 Offline
Gunslinger

I have considered it but it doesn't have what I am looking for, unfortunately.
With already having a couple of mono blocks available a preamp without amplification is what I would like. I will keep looking and reading.

#96225 - 01/11/17 12:32 PM Re: New processor? [Re: PeterT]
Strider53 Offline
Gunslinger

Has anyone seen a reference to another product by a second technology company at the CES 2017?

#96226 - 01/11/17 08:27 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
TL5 Offline
Gunslinger

Ok - CES 2017 is over - time for that update on the Atmos pre/pro!

#96229 - 01/13/17 07:59 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Strider53 Offline
Gunslinger

Hey TL5, looks like you're correct. At CES 2017 the new flagship Outlaw 13" THX certified sub was
Introduced.
Jeff

#96237 - 01/16/17 09:35 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Yep. Found this link:

"Ultra X-13"
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#96238 - 01/16/17 11:21 AM Re: New processor? [Re: EEman]
Strider53 Offline
Gunslinger

Also noted in this article the 2017 delivery of a new Outlaw preamp processor.
/Jeff

#96241 - 01/17/17 10:43 AM Re: New processor? [Re: Strider53]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By Strider53
Also noted in this article the 2017 delivery of a new Outlaw preamp processor.
/Jeff

Well that sounds promising!

#96244 - 01/17/17 09:40 PM Re: New processor? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

Oh No !!! Not December 2017??? Tell me it isn't so.
JDB

#96245 - 01/18/17 08:17 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

The article says it will ship in 2017 nothing about December. Where did we get that?

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96247 - 01/18/17 08:41 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

It is pretty clear from JDB posting history that they've lost faith in Outlaw. It is unfortunate.

I can't say that such a stance is baseless given the rather disappointing hurdles that have killed off previous efforts of Outlaw to produce another top notch Pre-Pro. The news from Outlaw has been consistent: the firm remains committed to delivering products that are a good value and serve unmet segments of the audio marketplace. That is a very difficult task that falls squarely at the intersection of shifting technology, uncertain international trade, and fickle consumers. One has to be a bit of madmen to continue to run an independent business in such an environment.

I appreciate Mr. Tribeman's struggles and continue to hope for positive developments.

#96251 - 01/21/17 03:15 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

Oh, I'm in - just picking at it little. The 'laws are the good guys; always with them, just getting tired of the wait. (Old gearheads understand) I know making everything work and adding the frills takes time. Maybe we get the "super" 975 first in the new chassis which fills out to the Caddy at a later date as the top model for added $$$. But then again, at what is hopefully the last minutes of the game, we must trust they have the puzzle worked and it is time for the buzzer and the win.
"Outlaws, come on down!"
JDB

#96256 - 01/23/17 03:02 PM Re: New processor? [Re: JDB001]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By JDB001
Oh, I'm in - just picking at it little. The 'laws are the good guys; always with them, just getting tired of the wait. (Old gearheads understand) I know making everything work and adding the frills takes time. Maybe we get the "super" 975 first in the new chassis which fills out to the Caddy at a later date as the top model for added $$$. But then again, at what is hopefully the last minutes of the game, we must trust they have the puzzle worked and it is time for the buzzer and the win.
"Outlaws, come on down!"
JDB

Fair enough!

I too am involved in lots of other "hobbies" and the various factors that influence car-makers to greenlight new models or kill off projects are quite maddening. So to have there been some projects that seem perennially "just around the corner" -- http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-toyota-supra-spy-photos-news

There are some video games that have taken literally more than a dozen years to be delivered -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever#Development

The pithy checklists rarely deal with the reality of "partners" making things harder instead of easier -- https://business.tutsplus.com/articles/14-essential-tips-for-meeting-a-deadline--fsw-240

Heck, who has not driven through some interminable construction zone on their commute and wondered "when the heck is THIS is going to be done..." -- http://www.ltrc.lsu.edu/TRB_82/TRB2003-000646.pdf

#96257 - 01/24/17 10:25 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Why am I still happy with my 975?
Because after 3½ years, it's still doing what it's supposed to. I still have a plasma, so 4k isn't an issue for me yet. So I'm still patiently waiting for the next pre-pro.

#96260 - 01/24/17 11:44 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Oh Snap! I think its time to move on from the plasma!

#96261 - 01/24/17 11:47 AM Re: New processor? [Re: Helson]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Originally Posted By Helson
Why am I still happy with my 975?
Because after 3½ years, it's still doing what it's supposed to. I still have a plasma, so 4k isn't an issue for me yet. So I'm still patiently waiting for the next pre-pro.

I'm in the same boat but with an 10+ year-old 990! The only thing that has kept my 990 in my system is its direct inputs and I have an Oppo BluRay player with direct outputs. I'm not questioning the 990's reliability, but it is soooooo out of date! I have chosen two options to replace the 990 should it fail in the near future and I hope, soon, Outlaw has a third. IMO this announcement has to include not only final product features but a date when it will be available to purchase.

Edited by AvFan (01/24/17 11:48 AM)

#96262 - 01/24/17 12:25 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Well, there you have it, folks! The 976 says, "Howdy!" That's a pretty nice looking processor. Looking forward to them heading out to new homes so we can hear what people think of their performance!

Edit:
The first question I have is does it have the same five input limitation as the 975 has?

Edited by Owl's_Warder (01/24/17 12:42 PM)

#96267 - 01/24/17 04:22 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Looking at the pictures, the boards were made on 10/10/2106. Given the time to stuff the boards, slap them all in a chassis, photo it and get it out in a post says we're looking at some pretty hot-off-the-presses pictures (given holidays, CES, etc.). Of course I'm sure there were other prototypes before this particular one but still...

BTW, look at all the MELFs on the main board. I don't remember seeing MELFs used on previous Outlaw products.
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#96268 - 01/24/17 04:56 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

They used some in the 975. A lot of coupling/decoupling for the stages, here.

#96269 - 01/24/17 06:11 PM Re: New processor? [Re: EEman]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Originally Posted By EEman
Looking at the pictures, the boards were made on 10/10/2106.
I always thought they were using technology from the future, but now there's proof.

#96270 - 01/25/17 09:41 AM Re: New processor? [Re: sdurani]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By sdurani
Originally Posted By EEman
Looking at the pictures, the boards were made on 10/10/2106.
I always thought they were using technology from the future, but now there's proof.

Doh. Why doesn't spell check catch that?

#96271 - 01/25/17 10:47 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

#96272 - 01/26/17 12:22 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Hey at least the new remote has a freakin ON button.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96273 - 01/26/17 08:21 AM Re: New processor? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Stephen B Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Owl's_Warder
Well, there you have it, folks! The 976 says, "Howdy!" That's a pretty nice looking processor. Looking forward to them heading out to new homes so we can hear what people think of their performance!

Edit:
The first question I have is does it have the same five input limitation as the 975 has?

I must have missed a link. Where did you see the photos? Thanks

Edit. I found them in the announcements section. My brain damage must be kicking in. :-)

Edited by Stephen B (01/26/17 11:06 AM)

#96280 - 01/27/17 02:43 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

YES!! Thank you Outlaws. The 976 should do fine. Sounds like you had planned on my suggestion all along with the 976 first and then the big caddy with all the bells and whistles several months later. It looks like the 976 is just what I need since ceiling speakers or top-of-surrounds is just about impossible in my layout. A solid 7.2 with my 4K Sony projection is more than adequate.
Looking forward to the detail 976 specs and the order page, but until then how about a couple quick questions: (1) Are both HDMI outputs simultaneous and compatible with v1.4 at least - with v2.0a on #1? (2)Will HDMI out #1 be upgradable (e.g., firmware)? (3) XLR audio outs are from balanced op-amps/driver and not transformers? (4)Will 976 fold Dolby Atmos UHD Blu-Ray audio to 7.1 (7.2) correctly? (It seems to always go to 5.1 on the 975. Is this correct? Depends on the disc directives? I missed the memo with the answers?)(5) Tested with any 4K capable Blu-Ray players yet?
Thanks again Outlaws - Great job cool

#96281 - 01/27/17 09:19 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Well, the 976 certainly sounds interesting, but what I'm really interested in is how does it sound! Not a whole lot of details about the the DACs being used. My main concern with a pro like this is going to be its audio performance. The whole premise (IMO) of the Outlaw business model is low frills, high quality at a great price. It appears to have all the requisite features (those that'll be used by the vast majority) of a modern pro. So for me, it really comes down to the audio.

I have not heard a 975 so I have no reference on how the surrounds will sound on the 976, since they are stating they share the same design and DACs. But they only make a vague reference to the LCR channels will have upgraded "...high-end TI/Burr-Brown DACs...". Well, the term "high-end" means a lot of different things to different people. Me personally, when I hear that term used it always makes me nervous, but that could just be my total distrust of the marketing weenies of the world.

But, I am happy that Outlaw has a new pro coming and a big brother to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing the actual specs on this pro and ultimately doing a test drive.

Thank You Outlaw!
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#96282 - 01/27/17 12:01 PM Re: New processor? [Re: JDB001]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

JHBD001,

Thanks for your comments and questions. Here are the answers:
(1) Are both HDMI outputs simultaneous and compatible with v1.4 at least - with v2.0a on #1?

Yes. Both outputs, available simultaneously on the 976, are compatible with v1.4, for the output #2, and v2.0a for the output #1, which is backwards compatible with v1.4.

(2)Will HDMI out #1 be upgradable (e.g., firmware)?

No. Output #2 will not be upgradable; it will remain available for any v1.4 use.

(3) XLR audio outs are from balanced op-amps/driver and not transformers?

Yes. The XLR outputs are balanced outputs from low noise op-amps with a common mode rejection ratio of 100dB, typical.

(4)Will 976 fold Dolby Atmos UHD Blu-Ray audio to 7.1 (7.2) correctly? (It seems to always go to 5.1 on the 975. Is this correct? Depends on the disc directives? I missed the memo with the answers?)

Yes. The 976 will properly decode the core 7.1 channels of the Dolby Atmos tracks as Dolby Digital True HD.
The 975 is also capable of decoding the core 7.1 channels of Dolby Atmos tracks.
Ensure that your 975 is set for a 7.1 system in the speaker configuration menu.

(5) Tested with any 4K capable Blu-Ray players yet?

Yes. The 976 has been tested with both, the Samsung UBD-K8500, and the OPPO UDP-203
As you may be aware, both players incorporate two HDMI outs, and if you are presently a 975 owner, one output goes to the 4K display and the other output sends audio only (with a blank picture) to a non-4K processor or receiver.

However, the OPPO UDP-203 offers a tempting and clever “extra”. It ALSO has an HDMI input. This means that besides playing any type of Blu-Ray( both regular and 4K), you can hook up another 4K source, (such as the latest Roku), and run the audio to our 975 and the 4K picture to the display!

Peter

#96283 - 01/27/17 01:03 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
TL5 Offline
Gunslinger

Ben/Peter - Thanks for the update! I'm hungry for more news on the Atmos pre/pro. Can you share any more details on how it will differ from the 976 besides the obvious?

#96297 - 01/30/17 02:34 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Where's the product page? Looking forward to the gory details!

Edited by NRBQLou (01/30/17 02:35 PM)
Roku Streaming Stick +

#96376 - 02/18/17 10:39 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Beachbum1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego
Will the new Model 976 have user definable inputs?
Aerial Acoustics Model 6
Aerial Acoustics Model 5
RSL Speedwoofer
OPPO BDP-103
Panamax MR5100

#96377 - 02/18/17 11:38 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
BlueJays Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Needville, TX
So, I too have been eagerly awaiting the new processor.
Am ready to replace my Sunfire Grand Theater IV unit.

I viewed the pictures and read the text which Outlaw Ben posted.

Questions I'm interested in related to the 976 :

- Is RDS implemented for the FM tuner (no RDS logo on front panel) ?
- Is HD Radio implemented for the FM tuner (no HD Radio Logo on front panel) ?
- Will any of the analog in jacks be configurable for Phono input (none labeled as such) ?
- Will the Bluetooth module be included in the price (I see a large BT connector on rear) ?

- And will any of the above features be included on the later-to-be-released Object-Based Processor ?

#96378 - 02/18/17 11:51 AM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

I would expect that all inputs will be user defined as none of the inputs are labeled in the pictures.

Since it does not specifically label a phono input I would expect a phono pre-amp will be needed to feed one of the analog inputs.

I would also expect the Bluetooth module to be separate although they may include it.

The next gen processor was originally spec'd for HD radio not sure about RDS

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96382 - 02/28/17 12:43 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
geoff Offline
Gunslinger

Very excited about the news overall. This may be the year to upgrade! One question:

"As soon as production starts on the Model 976, our engineering teams will redouble their efforts on our Atmos/DTS-X processor. As mentioned, it is based on the same underlying platform as the Model 976, but utilizes two DSPs and additional DACs for a 7.2.4 channel configuration. It will add additional connectivity options and a few other features that many of you have asked for. Presently targeted to be priced under $1,500, it will be available later this year." - Outlaw Ben, 1/24/17

Peter or Ben, will this upcoming Atmos/DTS-X processor have a set of stereo balanced (XLR) inputs? I am wondering because I may be interested in the upcoming Oppo UDP-205, which probably has balanced stereo outputs, like the 105.

THANK YOU!

#96385 - 02/28/17 03:39 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
zypo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm looking forward to the Model 976 with the atmos 7.2.4. Does anyone know if the Model 976 (with atmos) will have the $100 loyalty discount? Also - can it be assumed that a Model 5000 amp will come bundled with the atmos version of the Model 976?

I plan on purchasing the 975 as I can just split the hdmi signal so the 975 can take care of the audio - and the tv can take care of the video. I don't see a point to the non-atmos 976 at the moment unless you like balanced inputs.

I would REALLY like to purchase the 976 ($800) if it can be hardware upgraded to 5.2.4 Atmos for less than $500!

#96386 - 02/28/17 07:15 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Since Outlaw has always done combos with their processors and amps I would expect them to offer a combo which pairs the new processors with a seven channel amp such as the 7140. They will also probably offer a loyalty discount for previous owners of their older processors. They are already doing this for the new 976. Outlaw will not upgrade the 976 to Atmos. That would defeat the purpose of the new processor which is targeted to cost around $1500. The atmos/DTSx processor yet to be named will be a significant technology leap from the 976.

Many of us will not update our systems to Atmos/DTSx until there is significant acceptance of the technology and there is a larger selection of source material. Think 3D. Same goes for 4K unless we have an equipment failure. I love the newer tech but the industry needs to catch up to the tech and the cost needs to come down.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96402 - 03/08/17 12:26 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
geoff Offline
Gunslinger

Peter or Ben, will the upcoming Atmos/DTS-X processor have a set of stereo balanced (XLR) inputs?

#96403 - 03/08/17 10:27 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

It would be a welcome surprise if it does. As far as I can tell from the various announcements and updates there is no mention of balanced inputs. I also have yet to find anything that says it may have a phono pre-amp on board.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96462 - 03/31/17 08:34 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

#96463 - 03/31/17 09:29 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Very cool.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#96688 - 06/15/17 02:14 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
fallout Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It's been 5 months and no update on the 976. What's going on Outlaw?

#96689 - 06/15/17 02:25 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Perhaps you missed this from last weekend...
Originally Posted By admin
Fellow Outlaws:

We know that you are anxious to get your hands on the forthcoming Model 976, and we are just as anxious to get it to you.

That said, given the date, it is obvious that it will ship a bit later than we had hoped. There is a continual battle to find the balance between pre-announcing new products, as we did for the Model 976 versus waiting to announce them until the are ready to ship, as we did with the RR 2160 and Ultra X13. Regardless, whenever we announce a new product it is very important to us that any new product ships only when it is ready, not before. We're not quite at that point yet for the Model 976

It's been said that it's "The first 99% is easy. It's the last 1% that is the hardest." That is a good summary of where we are. We have units under test that are completely functional and which deliver outstanding audio and video performance. We've completed work with Room EQ Wizard that is optimized for the Model 976. We have the parts staged and ready for production start. That's the "99%".

Unfortunately, there is that remaining 1%. There are a few remaining issues that have cropped up that we are simply not comfortable having in a production product. None, by themselves, are fatal. However, collectively they would prevent the Model 976 from meeting our expectations. Yes, it will take until after our goal of "before the end of spring" to work all of this out. Since some of these things are interdependent it is to say how long it will take, but it shouldn't be that long.

Again, thanks for your support, patience and understanding as we work to bring you the product you expect and deserve.

#96691 - 06/15/17 11:33 PM Re: New processor? [Re: Helson]
fallout Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Somehow I missed the update. Thanks for posting it.

#96693 - 06/16/17 08:26 PM Re: New processor? [Re: XenonMan]
975 destroyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Georgia, US of A!
"A good executed on time is better than a perfect plan executed late."
Colin Powel.

Well no offense to Cozy but I'll gladly wait until Outlaw says it's perfect.

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
BJC 10 ga - LCR mids*, inside & out
8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: Tri-amped Polk RTi A7
Rotel RB980s -> woofers; Rotel RB981s -> mids w/phase plugs & tweeters
CC: bi-amped Polk CSi A6 -> Rotel RB981
SWs: Sunfire & 4 Audio Pros - LFE True Sig; 4 Evidence - 1 @ ea corner
Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> Polk RTi A3
Power Conditioning & Distribution:
3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman MP-20s

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM