Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#84883 - 10/12/10 07:19 PM Re: audio rack? [Re: gonk]
redman6 Offline
Gunslinger

I personally think if you're going to build a room specific for ht, I would tend to go the route of building a 4x2-4x3 room for housing the ht gear in especially if you like using monoblocks to power your speakers..

even using using a multichan amp in a closet arrangement I would still consider a sideways ventilation system between equipment where possible..
ht
Passive cooling isn't always the best even if it's the only option you thought of at the time of install, nothing is ever cut and dry when you think about installing something, there is many ways to build a room for ht and a space for ht gear, we all cut corners to save money... not always for the better I might add..

when I look at ht I look to more than 2 years out of service on what I buy as I can't blow the cash to keep up with the jones of this world so I buy something to last far a while atleast..

lounge

68cm sharp tv

joytech xbox 360 network av switch

xbox
xbox 360
ps2
ps3
n64
snes
cable box
vcr
joytech av switch
onkyo dv-cp 704
sony 5-disc dvd player
jvc s42-sl
lengend dvd player
yamaha tss-15 fibre linked for 5.1

pc with a yamaha tss-10 fibre linked for 5.1..

bed room
sony 32" dtv
sony dvp 390 brd
sharp dv-790

#85559 - 01/17/11 10:46 AM Re: audio rack? [Re: redman6]
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
While waiting on my Audio cabinet to be built, I purchased A cooling fan system from http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090113.html.
My cabinet will be 70"W x 24'H x 24 "H. The two end compartments will hold my gear, while the middle section will house the center speaker and a lower drawer. A cooling fan system is my only option with space being so tight.
So for the benifit of those looking for a quite fan system ,I have already recieved and demoed the fan system, and can tell everyone is is very very quite . From 5 ft away I can not hear it at all. It has a themostat for each fan, comes on at 86 deg and shuts down at 81 deg .

#85560 - 01/17/11 11:13 AM Re: audio rack? [Re: Bill O]
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Because a picture is woth a billion of my words :This is what I have being built , trying to stuff all my gear into those two compartment is problematic , but it will all fit.
I am having it built localy . I am able to change a few things this way , like dept and the width of center compartment.
http://www.standoutdesigns.com/store/pc/Horizon-N702-Plus-Solid-Wood-TV-Console-10p322.htm

#85563 - 01/17/11 11:46 AM Re: audio rack? [Re: Bill O]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Bill O
So for the benifit of those looking for a quite fan system ,I have already recieved and demoed the fan system, and can tell everyone is is very very quite . From 5 ft away I can not hear it at all. It has a themostat for each fan, comes on at 86 deg and shuts down at 81 deg.

Two thoughts to keep in mind when integrating these fans into the cabinet: exhaust requires intake, and noise will change when you increase the static pressure on the fan. For the first part, be sure the cabinet maker provides ways for air to enter so these fans can effectively discharge air and cool the equipment. For the second part, be aware that the noise made by the fans sitting out in the open will be at least somewhat less than the noise they make when in an enclosure that makes it harder for them to draw air. You'll get some sound attenuation at the same time, which will help make up for some of that, but it may not make up for all of the extra noise - especially if the fans are obstructed.

#85565 - 01/17/11 12:55 PM Re: audio rack? [Re: gonk]
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
Originally Posted By: Bill O
So for the benifit of those looking for a quite fan system ,I have already recieved and demoed the fan system, and can tell everyone is is very very quite . From 5 ft away I can not hear it at all. It has a themostat for each fan, comes on at 86 deg and shuts down at 81 deg.

Two thoughts to keep in mind when integrating these fans into the cabinet: exhaust requires intake, and noise will change when you increase the static pressure on the fan. For the first part, be sure the cabinet maker provides ways for air to enter so these fans can effectively discharge air and cool the equipment. For the second part, be aware that the noise made by the fans sitting out in the open will be at least somewhat less than the noise they make when in an enclosure that makes it harder for them to draw air. You'll get some sound attenuation at the same time, which will help make up for some of that, but it may not make up for all of the extra noise - especially if the fans are obstructed.

On the bottom shelf , at the front on each side. there will be (2) one inch slots cut, five inches long each . There will be (3) 1 3/8" holes cut for wiring on each side in the back, in which I will put http://www.closet-masters.net/flexi-topgrommets.aspx , thereby attempting to make sure the air is drawn from the front of the cabinet as much as possible. I realy do not think I will need these grommets due to the fact that there should be enough cables stuffed through each hole up to restrict the air considerably.
(These fans are each ratted at 46 CFM ). I know some air will be drawn from around the doors also, which I believe is OK as long as most of the air come from the bottom up The fans will be mounted to the cabinet using rubber backing material to absorb some vibrations.
In therory , I believe it should be OK, but I won't be shocked if I am wrong.

#85567 - 01/17/11 01:45 PM Re: audio rack? [Re: Bill O]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
With those two 5"x1" slots and some assorted other leakage, a 46CFM fan in a single cabinet will produce around 650 ft/min of air velocity at the intake slots. That's about twice what we design transfer air openings for in commercial installations, but still a slow enough flow rate that it shouldn't create noise of its own.

#90693 - 06/18/12 05:39 PM Re: audio rack? [Re: gonk]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
Posted for your edification:
Worse Than Assembling 100 Bookshelves at Once

I know how many folks that visit these forums seem to like seeing firms smack their face into the pavement, so to speak, and sounds like the good people at Ikea are doing so...

Making usable A/V equipment is MUCH HARDER than making furniture that comes out of a flat box...

Edited by renov8r (06/18/12 05:40 PM)

#90696 - 06/19/12 12:33 AM Re: audio rack? [Re: renov8r]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I just read the Uppleva report and why would anybody want to waste money on this thing. It will become obsolete by the time you finished assembly. Why can't IKEA just stick to the cheap hokey furniture they are famous for.

#94881 - 02/23/15 12:09 AM Re: audio rack? [Re: leaphart]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
For a few bucks extra get a Mapleshades audio rack. I'm hoping to get one in the not to distant future.

#94891 - 02/23/15 05:49 PM Re: audio rack? [Re: leaphart]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Probably has something by now.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts