Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#93812 - 12/26/13 12:18 PM DVI input signal goes where?
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa Fl
In reading the 990 manual the only reference to DVI usage is this.

"Any signal that appears at the DVI video (DVI-1 IN, DVI-2 IN) input jacks is automatically sent to DVI OUT jack only."

So to get a signal to my TV I can only use a DVI cable from the 990 DVI-OUT to my monitor DVI-IN connection. No other video connections on the 990 will work.

Am I correct in my interpretation of the manual?

#93814 - 12/27/13 11:15 AM Re: DVI input signal goes where? [Re: Brad225]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
The DVI connection will give the best picture (1080P) but no audio will go through it. The 990 passes video through the DVI connections from two other sources but will not pass any analog signal or menu signal over DVI since DVI is digital. In order to use the on screen menu connect an S-Video cable from the TV to the monitor out port on the 990. If you do not want to use DVI (don't know why) the component and S-Video ports can be used for low quality video.

DVI inputs/output (see pages 20-21) This digital video connection provides the best possible picture when you are using a DVI- or HDMI-equipped video source and video display. (Inexpensive DVI-to-HDMI adapters are readily available.) Analog video sources and on-screen menus do not appear on the DVI output.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#93817 - 12/27/13 04:52 PM Re: DVI input signal goes where? [Re: XenonMan]
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks X
I was trying to be sure I had cabling correct along with any assignment of audio and video on the 990.

I am trying to work out the connections from a Roku3 to the non HDMI Sony TV and 990.

I purchased a Monoprice HDMI switching unit that I planed on using HDMI/DVI and Toslink to the 990. Turned out it would not send the HDMI signal via HDMI/DVI to the 990 inputed from the Roku. I could send the signal direct from the Roku to the 990 so I know the cable is not the issue.

I have returned the unit and purchased another that has HDMI in and component and Toslink out. Should receive it in a few days so we will see.

I am kind of living in the reverse world of spouses right now as my wife wants to replace the perfectly good (though 13 years old) 60" Sony HD TV with a new one with HDMI connections and if needed purchase a new processor to replace the 990. It is a bit puzzeling for her me not wanting to purchase new equipment. Guess I am just getting old and cheap.

#93818 - 12/28/13 12:32 AM Re: DVI input signal goes where? [Re: Brad225]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Brad, if you can afford it and she wants to jump in, I think you'd be very happy upgrading everything to HDMI. I've noticed a more encompassing sound field once we upgraded; the HD audio streams are fantastic. I'm assuming you'd be having a nicer picture, too, but that might not be the case. If your old Sony can put up 1080p content then you may not see much improvement there. However, I'd like to think that something fresh and new would improve upon that which is 13 years old. We have an LCD in the bedroom and a plasma in the living room. I LOVE the Panasonic plasma; the picture is incredible from any angle in any light condition. The Sony LCD looks nice straight on, but you don't have to get too far off center for it to degrade. It's great for the bedroom, though. smile

#93819 - 12/29/13 03:59 PM Re: DVI input signal goes where? [Re: Brad225]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
You could use a HDMI to DVI cable or adapter to get the Roku into the 990 but would still need something to get the audio to the 990. I have the Roku XDS but it has more output connections than the Roku3. I agree with the above that you should probably look at upgrading your system to take advantage of all the features HDMI offers. I have an low cost Onkyo receiver I bought several years back as a living room unit. It has an HTPC, DVR, Bluray player and and Xbox conected to it and I still have a port left. I output it to a Panny plasma with ARC. My point is that for less than $500 you could replace the 990 and upgrade your whole system. I also have a 990 which is my main music system. Although I could still use it for movies, the convenience of HDMI is hard to do without even with all its foibles. Remember too that only HDMI gives you the newer master codecs on the newer blurays.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#93831 - 12/31/13 07:31 PM Re: DVI input signal goes where? [Re: Brad225]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The big challenge with the Roku3 is the one you've encountered: no dedicated audio output. There are very few HDMI switches that will actually split out the audio and video signals (most just pass the HDMI signal through). With no HDMI input on the TV or surround processor, your options are limited. The Roku 1, Roku 2, and Roku LT all offer analog audio outputs that would solve your problem - one simple fix could be to exchange the Roku 3 for one of those, at which point you could send analog audio to the 990 and use an HDMI-to-DVI cable to switch the digital video through the 990 to your TV (assuming it has a DVI input) or rely solely on analog audio and composite video until you upgrade the TV and processor.

The industry as a whole has pushed things heavily toward HDMI for a number of years now. This sort of problem will recur unless you upgrade at least the TV (and possibly the TV and processor) - new Blu-ray players have been phasing out analog video outputs, for example, as have some of the latest game consoles. You can find workarounds if you aren't ready to part with the old TV and processor, but they will take some careful planning when purchasing new sources.

#93832 - 01/02/14 12:57 PM Re: DVI input signal goes where? [Re: Brad225]
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I ended up purchasing a HDFuryPro switch ( $82 ). I takes the HDMI in and outputs it as Component video and either 2 channel or 5.1 optical for audio. Worked great none of the problems of the MonoPrice unit.

Hooked it up yesterday and my wife and I enjoyed an afternoon and evening in front of the fire watching Breaking Bad. All and all a good news year day.

Looks link I can keep the money in the safe and enjoy my 990 and old TV for a bit longer.

Edited by Brad225 (01/02/14 12:58 PM)

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts