Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#92761 - 02/25/13 05:15 PM 975 Plus
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
I'd like to see a 'mid-range' processor offering similar to the 975 with a few additional features:
- at least 6 HDMI inputs.
- 7.1 analog inputs with the 970/1070 analog bass-managment toggle capability.
- dual zone support or at least A/B speaker switching.
- some convenience features including the ability to name inputs and a USB or network connection for updating the firmware.
- something magical from the Outlaws that nobody's thought of ;-)
+ $300 on the 975 price.

I'd also like to see a 1075 AVR with the above features + main-amp inputs, but I think the Outlaw are out of that game with their 975/7075 combo priced in the $1100 price range.

-John

#92772 - 02/26/13 03:12 PM Re: 975 Plus [Re: John Galt]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I appreciate the thoughts above but frankly do not think such an offering would offer sufficient differentiation / value to warrant either an audio "separate" (pre-pro) or the basis of a reciever that was truly capable of being the foundation of a serious home theater...

#92777 - 02/26/13 05:42 PM Re: 975 Plus [Re: John Galt]
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
I'm not an A/V marketing expert but there is a pretty big hole between $549 and $1495 as far as the processor market goes. Is this really to be the sole domain of fully featured mid-priced receivers with pre-amp outputs? If it is bring on the 1075 to compete...if not, I'd like to see a few more of the common features that I've listed above on an Outlaw processor in that price range.

-John

#92781 - 02/27/13 12:58 PM Re: 975 Plus [Re: John Galt]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I agree the "price point" that you suggest (under $1000 but over $800) seems VERY "underpopulated" right now and it seems unlikely to be filled even if products from other "internet direct" firms ever make it market...

I guess the question comes down to what sorts of features are "most" potential buyers of AV processors looking for?

Personally I don't think there are enough features suggested to justify development of such a product. Heck when I look at many products from "North American based" marketers be they NAD or Anthem or those from other parts of the world like Arcam or Cambridge I have hard time understanding how they can justify the prices they are asking given the VASTLY increased feature set of some the maintstream Japanese based firm or traditional US based firms... I suppose the firms that offer a dozen or so "step up" type products are motivated to offer their "dealer network" (however small that may be these days...) to sort of "remove features" to create more low-end products but that seems a really strategy for the struggling AV products. Heck even car makers have learned that "el cheapo" econo-boxes should not be offered with crank windows and no remote locks. The smarter makers offer things like "keep you key in pocket" starter buttons and other features that once-upon-a-time were "high end only".

I wish that some AV equipment maker would really be "disruptive" when it comes to pricing on things like higher resolution decoders, ultra-narrow auto-eq and other "features" that are largely software driven (and yes I know I have argued that these software driven decisions do often require more internal memory and better processors, which are hardware, but the trend remains for those items to fall in price more rapidly that the discrete power supply component and phsycial connectors which are far more mature...).

Features that I would "leave out"? Things that require excessive "hoop jumping" and/or licensing -- DLNA, AirPlay,THX, isf...

#93409 - 08/09/13 09:52 AM Re: 975 Plus [Re: John Galt]
THX Jay Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey All,

I was just hopng the new processor would have a couple of things:

1.) Auto Room EQ-either Audyssey or the in house solution.

2.) Stereo Sub Outs-I know a lot of LFE content is mixed in mono, but it would be nice to have for stereo listening.

3.) A Display that can be completely turned off. I know this is trivial to a lot of people, but for those of us that aren't able to hide our gear in a closet, we need that. I would have taken the chance on the 975 even without auto EQ but not being able to turn off the display would have been too distracting in my modest home theater setup. I looked at the manual, and it only mentioned you could dim the display yet not turn it off.

Do any of these features appeal to anyone else, or am I alone in my lunacy? smile

Edited by THX Jay (08/09/13 10:03 AM)

#93417 - 08/11/13 10:16 AM Re: 975 Plus [Re: John Galt]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
For the record, there is no new processor and No you are not alone in your lunacy. The processors which preceded the 975, but were cancelled, also would not have met your needs. Stereo sub outputs are not generally needed as the sound <80 hz is not usually able to be sensed by humans as far as directionality. Very few tracks have the LFE signal mixed in separate channels for this reason. I get excellent results using a splitter from my sub out to both my subs. I agree room EQ is a good way to setup your system but it often needs tweaked even after a perfect run. Doing it manually gives many a sense of accomplishment and a much more detailed understanding of how their rooms affect the sound of their systems. Many of us love to tweak our systems endlessly (a good reason to own a turntable is the never-ending tweaks available). Years ago when I wanted to get rid of the display I would tape a piece of cardboard to the top so I could just flip it down when I wanted it dark. There are available processors out there which meet your needs and are not that much more $$$ than the 975. Try Onkyo, Denon and Marantz for starters.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts