Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#93405 - 08/07/13 05:14 PM Network Cable Routing Help
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Hey, guys. So behind the entertainment center I've got the separation of power and speaker cabling as best I can and it's really working great. I don't have any issues with hums, noise, pops, etc. So naturally I want to cause some trouble for myself. smile

With the addition of our home theater PC, we now have four devices in our setup using our wireless connection. Some of them will get knocked off or slow significantly if we run the microwave (it's dead smack in the path between the router and the devices, can't change that). Also, there's times when it's just slow making connections. Now I'm not sure if that second issue is a wireless one or a provider one, but I'm leaning toward wireless as we really don't see that issue on any of the four hardwired PC's.

So with all of the background exposition out of the way, here's what I want to do. I'd like to run a network cable from our PC Den in to the garage, up to the ceiling, over to the surround speaker wiring, then down to the floor and through the wall in parallel with the speaker wiring, and then cut left to the switch while the speaker wiring heads off to the right. The total length of the parallel portion of the run is about eight or nine feet.

Do any of you guys see any issues with this? Do I need to be using a shielded Ethernet cable (I doubt the switch at either side has a grounded chassis)? I don't think there's much danger of my speaker wiring messing with the network traffic; my big fear is the Ethernet traffic inducing noise in to my surrounds.

#93406 - 08/07/13 08:01 PM Re: Network Cable Routing Help [Re: Owl's_Warder]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
I don't think you'll have any problem but it's hard to be sure.

In general running the wires in parallel is bad. However your speaker wire is carrying relatively high currents while the ethernet is low current. Also the ethernet wire is twisted pair which helps limit radiated emissions.

Best to test it. Can you run the ethernet next to 9-feet of exposed speaker wire to see if there cross talk issues?

If you can keep the ethernet on the opposite side of the channel created by your wall studs that should be enough separation to prevent the cross talk.

Edited by EEman (08/07/13 08:03 PM)
Edit Reason: More info

#93407 - 08/08/13 03:33 PM Re: Network Cable Routing Help [Re: Owl's_Warder]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Since both are very low voltage I would think that the field generated would be insignificant and no interference should occur. Even an inch of separation should be more than enough distance if you can manage that. In the past I have run power cable on the inside of 1 inch PVC conduit and speaker wire on the outside with no problem.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#93411 - 08/09/13 10:14 AM Re: Network Cable Routing Help [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Hmmm... I bet I could route the network cable a little differently in the garage and then just run parallel for the wall penetration. If a few feet is most likely ok, then those few inches probably won't matter a bit. I'll have to investigate this weekend.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the suggestions! smile

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM