Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#92810 - 03/03/13 10:27 PM Just bought a new used amp on eBay
the_h Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ohio
Hi all I am a new member to the Outlaw experience. I just bought a 975 that I love and I have just bought a 7100 amp on eBay and want to know what to expect. I bought it to compare it to my adcom 7605. I am thinking about buying a 7500 for my main system but I wanted to hear an outlaw amp first. So I did the impulse buy to hear an Outlaw and to make my basement system a 7.1 system. Is the sound tendancy and build quality of the 7100 a good judge of Outlaw amps. Before I bought my 975 I was saving to buy a bryston 9b sst to elevate my main system amp now after reading much about Outlaw.....and none of it bad. Am I crazy to buy a bryston has anyone done a head to head compare. I am completely open to saving money and just want a great sounding system.

My concern is that though I could take and need more power on my mains, my center and rears may not need or may even react poorly to all that power. I have a large room and I listen loudly often. I can get more speaker in center and rear or go for the lower power Bryston. I have owned high end amps before and love the refined sound the last 2% of audio clarity can offer, but I don't want to pay if I can really get 98% for 1/3 the price. I know I. CAn buy one can try for 30 days but I don't think I can get a 9sst there at the same time to compare. Has anyone heard them back to back. I am interested in your opinions.

Edited by the_h (03/04/13 12:34 AM)
Edit Reason: More info
Marantz av7005, Rotel RMB 1075, Samsung 55" 6000 series tv, PSB synchrony 2, PSB C 5 stratus center, PSB image 10s rear, Velodyne DD-15, B&O RX-2 turntable, Apple TV, LG DVD blu-ray, Cisco Cable box, Adcom ACE 515, MIT terminator Bi wire speaker cables, all MIT 330 analog RCAs between amp and pre

Basement
Outlaw Model 975, Outlaw 7100, LG 55" 3d TV, Paradigm Monitor 11v3, Paradigm CC-370v3, Paradigm ADP-370v3, Paradigm PW-2200, Pioneer Elite BDP 62 3d blu ray, Cisco Cable box, Pioneer Elite CLD-59 laser disc player, Wii, VCR , Surgex SX-1115-RT, MIT cables
And more smile

#92814 - 03/04/13 10:38 AM Re: Just bought a new used amp on eBay [Re: the_h]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Welcome to the saloon. The 7100, like all the multichannel Outlaw amps is built by ATI for Outlaw and as such shares the same high quality construction as the others. I have the 7125 and the 7500 amps and both are powerful and quiet. The Adcom is rated at 125 watts all channels driven and is comparable to the 7125 in power. Although the 7500 is rated at 200 WPC, that only results in a 2 db increase in SPL but provides a lot of headroom for transients. Remember these are continuous power ratings vice peak power ratings... so the actual available headroom is quite substantial. Although Bryston makes a great amp I would not hesitate to buy the 7500 or 7700 instead because the cost is less than 30% of the Bryston and the performance is very comparable. I think the 7100 will be a great addition to the system especially since you now have 12 channels of amp. You can use two pairs of the Adcoms amps to bi-amp your mains if possible and still have plenty of power for the rest of the system. You may not need another amp.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#92822 - 03/04/13 06:54 PM Re: Just bought a new used amp on eBay [Re: the_h]
the_h Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Xenon I kinda wanna get out of the Adcom realm I don't have complaints but I have had an adcom amp or 2 or 3 for over 24 years. I know what they are and though they sound head and shoulders better than any receiver they are a brute force implement. My basement system where the 7100 will live really doesn't need the 125 watts a channel. my back up amp is an Adcom 7400 100 watts by 5 channel that used to be the main amp downstairs and I was never close to clipping. It is a really easy room to drive because of lower ceiling height. I am sure the power will be enough for that system I am just hoping for a little more refinement in the amp less harsh high end with lots of detail etc.

The model 7500 would go in my upstairs living room where my wife has some say so 2 amp boxes is a no, no. She put up with that years ago but she is no longer willing to bend on this. So I have a Rotel Rmb 1075 there now it is also 120 a channel. Different than the adcom better in some ways different in others but still not the true refinement I am looking for. The psb synchrony's are 4 ohm so they will pull some power but the center and rear are 6 ohm and they may also pull a fair amount and 200 is well above their recommended power and at 6 ohm that will be even bigger difference. I worry about overheating the voice coils (which I have done before on a system long ago) do you think this I possible my room has 16ft vaulted ceiling and I very open so the level do get high even though the spl in the room is comfortable.

#92877 - 03/08/13 06:04 PM Re: Just bought a new used amp on eBay [Re: the_h]
the_h Offline
Gunslinger

Help me!

I just got my amp and 6 of the channels sound great..... But the left surround channel is screaming at max volume with or without an RCA plugged in. It sounds like DC but I don't hate any speaker I own enough to plug in for more than a second. I have contacted the seller but really I know where that is going to go money off or ship it back for a refund and then I am out the shipping back. Outlaw is closed today so I can not get an estimate on repair for one channel, Any ideas?

#92879 - 03/09/13 12:51 AM Re: Just bought a new used amp on eBay [Re: the_h]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Check the input connection to make sure there is no debris inside of it which could short across the conductors. I would remove the cover to look inside and see if there is something loose or at least different from the other channels. I had a channel on my 7125 fail but it was covered under warranty. The cost to ship it back to Outlaw was like $60.00 with insurance.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE

#92883 - 03/09/13 12:37 PM Re: Just bought a new used amp on eBay [Re: the_h]
the_h Offline
Gunslinger

I checked for debris in the input and looked over the board I can not see anything obviously burnt and without removing the card I can not see it very well. I contacted the seller and he is positive the channel worked before he packaged the unit. i believe him the amp was not in original packing but it was well packed. The item was shipped ups with a declared value so I have contacted ups and they have opened the claim. ....
However, despite the disappointment of the toasted channel, I was able to hook it up in my 5.1 system (that will just have to be 5.1 a bit longer) with the 975 and there is a definite improvement in all qualities of the sound. Transients are better the layers are more defined and the sound is effortless. I can say honestly there is not a single aspect of either of my Adcom amps I miss. I will be selling my 7605 immediately and as soon as this 7100 is up to par I will be selling my back up amp a gfa 7400 then I will be an adcom free home for the first time since 1989. I have owned 7 different adcom amps over the years and I sold them when i worked in an high end audio shop in the early to mid 1990s it was our entry seprates line. I write all this to say that I am very impressed at the level the Outlaw amp performs. I do not and have never thought adcom was the best amp out there but I did think they offered the best bang for the buck. I have owned 8 different brands of amplifier and had the pleasure of working with and installing some of the finest high end audio gear available. I now would recommend to a friend or family member, who is looking for a better stereo or HT to look at outlaw. I sold all my main gear several years ago and began the audio journey again in december 2011. When i started back up i had an old adcom 2 channel amp so I picked up used gear I was familiar with . That path has led me to outlaw, a brand that was not around when i was truly paying attention to value audio brands. I am impressed with the sonic properties of the 7100 and think that once I get the 7th channel working it will be a perfect match for my basement system. Thanks to outlaw for making a brand based on value and quality.
Marantz av7005, Rotel RMB 1075, Samsung 55" 6000 series tv, PSB synchrony 2, PSB C 5 stratus center, PSB image 10s rear, Velodyne DD-15, B&O RX-2 turntable, Apple TV, LG DVD blu-ray, Cisco Cable box, Adcom ACE 515, MIT terminator Bi wire speaker cables, all MIT 330 analog RCAs between amp and pre

Basement
Outlaw Model 975, Outlaw 7100, LG 55" 3d TV, Paradigm Monitor 11v3, Paradigm CC-370v3, Paradigm ADP-370v3, Paradigm PW-2200, Pioneer Elite BDP 62 3d blu ray, Cisco Cable box, Pioneer Elite CLD-59 laser disc player, Wii, VCR , Surgex SX-1115-RT, MIT cables
And more smile

#92898 - 03/10/13 06:42 PM Re: Just bought a new used amp on eBay [Re: the_h]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
If it worked before shipping then stopped working after shipping then the first thing I would look for is some mechanical damage which might possibily be cause by the shipping vibration. Loose connectors especially ones with screwed terminals, anything with a screw for that matter, snapped wires, loose heat sinks (screws again), etc.

#92945 - 03/20/13 09:51 PM Re: Just bought a new used amp on eBay [Re: the_h]
the_h Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks EE and xenon I am currently in a holding pattern waiting on UPS to decide if the are going to honor the claim I made. While I wait I had to put my old amp back n the system boy was that disappointing. Will update when there is a change.

Basement
And more smile

#93049 - 04/03/13 08:44 PM Re: Just bought a new used amp on eBay [Re: the_h]
the_h Offline
Gunslinger

So to update anyone who cares and to affirm my faith in humanity. The seller I bought the amp from jumped through all of ups's hoops to get a insurance payout (ups would not deal with me the lowly recipient of the defective merchandise) according to the seller ups is sending a check for repairs and shipping to him that he will forward to me. If all this goes as I have been told then my hats off to the seller for standing by his word and making this situation better.

Basement
And more smile

#93053 - 04/04/13 08:56 AM Re: Just bought a new used amp on eBay [Re: the_h]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Great news. Outlaw is pretty fair with their repairs and I have not read a bad experience with them yet. Get a quote or you could try someone local that you trust.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts