Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#92939 - 03/20/13 01:44 PM Subwoofer upgrade question
Logansneo Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, Ca. USA
I have been using my Audio Source SW-15 subwoofer for over 16 years with little in the way of complaints or problems. The only drawback I had been aware of over the years is with newer soundtracks at theater volumes it has a tendency to bottom out and rattle. I have been able to address this issue by keeping the subwoofer levels lower, but find it inconvenient to continually adjust level trim for nearly every film, game, or piece of music to get the most out of it. I reconfigured my SW-15 last year to a downward firing setup and gained significant increase in discernible bass, allowing level settings to remain where set, but the problem still arises when being pushed at higher volumes, and I've always considered upgrading the 15" driver to a more robust unit, as well as the 250 watt plate amp.

I am a frequent customer of the invaluable site Parts Express, and over the years I have longed to pick up a Titanic III 15" subwoofer to replace my old Audio Source one with. What I'd like to know is if anyone has made the transition to this subwoofer, whether in the form of full kit, or simply replacement of the driver as I am planning, and if so how well do you like this woofer, and how does it compare both with music (is it controlled enough to keep up with fast transitions, mid to low and back) as well as film soundtracks?

Edited by Logansneo (03/20/13 01:46 PM)
Outlaw 7125
Panasonic DMP-BD85K blue ray
Xbox One X 4K Blu Ray/Games
Sony SS-K90ED tower speakers
DefTech Mythos 3 center
Modified Pyle 3" 2-way cube speakers side surround
Insignia 3" 2-way bookshelf surround back
Modified Audio Source SW-15 subwoofer (downward firing) 3000 watt
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" Subwoofer

#92940 - 03/20/13 05:04 PM Re: Subwoofer upgrade question [Re: Logansneo]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
I've never used the Titanic.

I have used the RSS265HF-4 10" for my current subwoofer with the 250W plate amp. I also have plans on the drawing board for the 15" driver from the same series. I went with this series because of the claim that the HF stood for High Fidelity. They also make an HO (High Output).

With the help of the SMS-1 I was able to get the 10" ported configuration pretty flat down to 20 Hz. It's also plenty loud.
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#92943 - 03/20/13 07:29 PM Re: Subwoofer upgrade question [Re: Logansneo]
Logansneo Offline
Gunslinger

Thank's EEman! I've had my eye on the HF/HO drivers for some time now and they look to be very good as well, I was just figuring if I'm going to upgrade my woofer, might as well go for the FULL gusto! wink
Outlaw 7125
DefTech Mythos 3 center

#92946 - 03/21/13 06:26 AM Re: Subwoofer upgrade question [Re: Logansneo]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Well, what I'd do then is figure out what the cabinet parameters are then go to the online chat with PartsX. They've been very helpful when I've had sub design questions. They'll want to know the cabinet volume and configuration (i.e. ported (what size?), sealed, etc.) and how much power you've got. Then they can match the driver from their selection that best fits your application.

For best subwoofer performance you have to match the driver and the cabinet design. Otherwise you'll end up with an underperforming system.

There's also various free calculators online for sealed and ported subs that I've used in the past and gotten good results.

Note: I spend more money building subs that just buying them but it is a fun hobby and I can control the shape and color of the sub.
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#92951 - 03/21/13 03:57 PM Re: Subwoofer upgrade question [Re: Logansneo]
Logansneo Offline
Gunslinger

I enjoy the challenge of speaker building and design though I honestly don't have nearly enough disposable income available to properly fund such a hobby. I have calculated my current subwoofer cabinet's volume and compared it to the spec's of the Titanic sub in the past, not sure WHERE I put that data now! wink But I figure by the time I've got enough money for my driver and amp I'll recalculate and then decide which driver best suits my needs. Thanks for refreshing my memory buddy!
Outlaw 7125
DefTech Mythos 3 center

Who's Online
1 registered (Outlaw Ben), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts