Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#91525 - 10/05/12 11:24 AM Re: New players coming from OPPO [Re: 73Bruin]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
If OPPO went to the extent to install room correction, why not go a few steps further and just create their own processor? They already have the audio and video down as SOTA. Implementing HDMI is solved and they have a volume control. A few new chips and a bigger power supply and voila!! Mageek!!

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#91526 - 10/05/12 12:51 PM Re: New players coming from OPPO [Re: XenonMan]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
The subject of an Oppo AV Processor was previously discussed at least once on these forums, on this page for instance, look for my post preceding the last one. Many Oppo owners have made requests to Oppo to develop an AV processor, including this forum's Kevin C Brown when he was beta testing their players.

They seem to be ever so slowly moving in that direction, who knows, maybe one day. Coming from them, I would buy one almost with my eyes closed.

#91531 - 10/05/12 01:48 PM Re: New players coming from OPPO [Re: jam]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Audioholics interview with OPPO about the 103/105 for anyone interested:

BDP-103/BDP-105 Q&A

#91535 - 10/05/12 07:28 PM Re: New players coming from OPPO [Re: EEman]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Some of you get my drift. I think an OPPO and Outlaw collaboration would get SOTA video and audio within affordable reach of most people. I'll shut up now.

#92029 - 12/14/12 12:14 AM Re: New players coming from OPPO [Re: Hank]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

If you pair an OPPO player up with the new Outlaw 975, are the internal DACs and decoding in the OPPO player basically unused if using HDMI out? I imagine you can use the analog out for 2 channel stereo. Do I have that correct? Thanks Bob

#92703 - 02/19/13 12:33 AM Re: New players coming from OPPO [Re: bobm]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
After a couple months of procrastination, I finally finished up my BDP-105 review this weekend - which mostly meant getting what I'd written weeks ago ported into HTML and adding some pictures. You can read the review here.

Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
A year or two ago, you poo-hoo'ed my suggestion that Oppo include HDMI and digital inputs on the BDP-95 so that other forms of input could benefit from the video processor and high quality dac's built into the BDP-95. I think Hank was correct and that in some future release, including room correction would make a lot of sense. Personally, I could see Oppo adding additional digtal inputs as the next iteration, however.

The capabilities of the System-on-Chip hardware available to OPPO has improved significantly over the last couple of generations, aided by pressure to make MHL work for the HDTV market. Before that happened, it was impractical to include HDMI inputs. It's still rather difficult, which is why you don't see many other people doing it - and you only see the coaxial, optical, and USB inputs on the flagship player. If the System-on-Chip makers that build for disc players get together with Audyssey or some other room correction software company, we might see this happen. Unfortunately, it only makes sense if the player is also doubling as pre-amp/processor, and that may be too niche a role for the players involved to have interest in pursuing this. After all, room correction upstream of a surround receiver or processor is conceptually different from video processing upstream of a display. Video processing upstream of a display's been happening for a long, long time now, in a variety of ways (in players, in set top boxes, in receivers and surround processors, and in standalone video processors). Room correction outside of a surround receiver or processor has been rarely done, and then only in expensive dedicated room correction systems. I could certainly be wrong, but I still doubt you'll see room correction in a Blu-ray player unless it happens to be purpose-built as a surround processor with a disc player added in as a bonus. At that point, room correction is going to be an appropriate inclusion, but I'd have a hard time calling such a device a disc player.

Originally Posted By: bobm
If you pair an OPPO player up with the new Outlaw 975, are the internal DACs and decoding in the OPPO player basically unused if using HDMI out? I imagine you can use the analog out for 2 channel stereo. Do I have that correct? Thanks Bob

You are half correct. The internal DACs are unused when you rely on the HDMI output for audio. The decoding (converting bitstreams to LPCM) is still available, however.

#92714 - 02/20/13 11:09 AM Re: New players coming from OPPO [Re: gonk]
RCF051 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
Thanks (as always) Gonk, for the thorough review. Just got my BDP-105 up and running using my 990 and am still discovering its capabilities and quality.

Question -- I have the BDP's 7.1 analog outs connected to the 990, with the BDP's outputs all set to "large" and "0" ft. distance (per your 990/BDP-83 set-up guide). The question is for CD playback -- is there a benefit to running stereo out cables from the BDP-105 to the CD inputs on the 990, or, since the 7.1s and the stereo outs each use a (separate) ES9018 DAC, do I get the same output quality from either sets of BDP analog outs?

I use the 7.1 outs on the BDP for SACD/DVD-A playback.

Thanks!

Bob

#92728 - 02/21/13 05:50 PM Re: New players coming from OPPO [Re: gonk]
RCF051 Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk -- Think I found my answer in one of your responses in the discontinued products (990) forum on a question for hooking up the BDP-95, where you indicate you could use the BDP's 7.1 analog outs for both multichannel and stereo.

Bob

#92738 - 02/22/13 05:49 PM Re: New players coming from OPPO [Re: gonk]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
You can certainly use the 7.1 outs for everything, but with my BDP83SE I've always prefered using the 2 channel outs as these are supported by stacked DACs. I also use a Grant Fidelity tube buffer between the 2 channel outs and the 990 CD in. This certainly isn't necessary but I like the effect.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#92752 - 02/25/13 09:33 AM Re: New players coming from OPPO [Re: gonk]
RCF051 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, I'll give it a listen!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts