Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#93219 - 05/13/13 07:20 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
Pinball Wizard Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Silver Spring, Maryland
Back in January, I posted that I was experiencing crashes. I just want to update this and say that I have now gone for over three months without a problem. I didn't really do anything, things just settled down.

I am very happy now with this unit but I will make two observations that might seem to be nit-picking.

1. The volume control really does feel poor. That doesn't bother me because I almost always use the remote but it is a big step down from the nice feel of my old 950.

2. The gain is lower than my old 950. I don't have a problem with this as I have fairly efficient loudspeakers but I would have difficulty achieving 0 = 85 dB calibration if I had less efficient speakers. As many do 0 = 75, I guess this really isn't a problem for most people.
Phlash Phelps Phan Clan #917

#93257 - 05/29/13 01:00 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
anonymoususer Offline
Gunslinger

Any word on a firmware upgrade yet?

#93258 - 05/29/13 06:00 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
What would the firmware update accomplish? I have not heard any rumors but we should start suggesting what should be fixed.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#93261 - 05/30/13 12:47 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
How about this item that RussB posted in the "Unlock" thread:
Quote:
Exactly. It hardly seems useful to take streamed digital content and convert it to analog just to feed it into the 975 which runs it through an ADC and another DAC before sending the output signal to the amplifier.

I know there is zero signal handshake issues with HDMI but, since the S/PDIF input suffers from the same problem, this is clearly a software snafu. I hope Outlaw gets around to fixing it soon.

#93262 - 05/30/13 05:06 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I have only heard of one person with this issue. If it is a common issue with the 975, then I agree they should fix it if possible. Maybe adding some sort of time requirement for the unlock to occur would fix it.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#93352 - 07/08/13 11:32 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
danomatic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've been able to play around with the 975 for a few days now and am ready to give some feedback.
Current setup is a Panasonic TC-P65GT50 (I have an inclination for plasma), Axiom Epic Grandmaster to make waves (In/On Wall M-22/VP150, QS8, and EP500 sub), along with an Axiom ADA-1000 (5 channel) to provide the juice.
I've had the speakers for several years, the ADA-1000 is a relatively recent purchase (it took the place of a Denon 3808CI).

Let's start with the positives. I like the look and it's slim (freed up some needed space). It provides tremendous clarity. Before, I used Audyessy with the Denon. I don't miss it. It runs relatively cool and the 975s input/outputs happen to match up quite nicely with my needs. The price is very reasonable and it appears that Outlaw (much like Axiom) has good customer service (this is my first Outlaw product).

Ok, now my negatives. None of these are real killers since the unit hasn't quit and all functions work. These are items that I didn't expect but I believe can be rectified. Kinda like going to pick up your new Vette and finding out that it's got some scratches on it and the check engine light is on. Everything still works, it's just a bit disappointing.

First on the list is lack of front panel dimming. I had to put a piece of tape over the power button. It is definitely too bright.

Second up is the remote. Seems like all the primary functions of the unit are secondary on the remote. This is not atypical and probably due to the amount of text needed. The better remotes I've used are more focused (bigger buttons, fewer functions). You definitely have to aim this guy as well (always a good reason for RF/Bluetooth).

Third up is the OSD. She don't look so hot compared to what was out 5 years ago. But that's no biggie, it just makes you want to set things and not come back. I'm happy at least that it did have an OSD. As you get older and grumpier walking over to the rack and looking at a little screen while punching a button just plain sucks (DAMMIT! Just missed that setting and now have to cycle through the whole damn thing!).
This leads up to another thing, why in the world (under Video Settings) do I have to hit the button on the remote 2 or 3 times to get a parameter to move one increment? If you take Brightness from 60-50 you have to hit the button 25 times. Shouldn't I just be able to hold the button? Weird.

This unit has some minorly annoying performance deficeits. When I powered up the unit on day 2, there was zero subwoofer output (all other audio/video good). Turned it off, checked all connections.....still nothing. Changed sources as well with no luck. Did a hard reset and all was good. A little later, when switching sources (all are HDMI) I lost all audio (picture fine). Again, went through the other sources (didn't help) then every component powered down and connections checked with no luck on the re-power. Another hard reset and I'm back in business. Later, while switching sources again, the screen flakes out and goes a speckly red,green,blue. I only had to power cycle the 975 this time. This happened once more during the day but hasn't in the last 36 hours. Dunno. It's like I'm back using Windows 95. It's a new experience to have "buggy" audio gear. I'll end the negatives with a seemingly common complaint. I wasn't expecting the volume to max out at 0dB. After doing the initial SPL check at 75db (speaker trims all 0 in front, -2 to the back, -6 on the sub), I tossed in the Avengers Blu-Ray and was surprised when I hit the upper limit. Not a big deal, just went in and added 6dB to all trim levels and that got me back to the volume levels I'm used to (roughly 103-108dB peaks during movies only).

To those that have made it this far, DON'T be put off by my comments. I like the 975, the sound it provides (which is one of its primary goals) is exceptional. It does a fine job of upscaling video (video is just fine overall). The only thing that I'm not used to is how long it takes to switch HDMI sources. The Denon I used (and still have) did a great job with that (fast and seamless). The 975 just takes about 5 seconds (compared to less than 2 with the Denon) and.....UPDATE!! Just as I switched sources to verify that switching time she went all goofy (speckly red,green, blue). Turned it off and right back on and all is good!....back to it...the only other "tip" I can give is that Outlaw may want to update their manual for the Video Settings. If you are using upscaling, the factory Video Settings (60,30,50,51,10) for Brightness, Contrast, etc. seem to be neutral (like a pass through) although still effective when adjusted from the stock spots. If you knock 'em down to zero you'll wonder why your picture went away.

I do like this unit sonically...just hope we can get some bugs ironed out.

#93355 - 07/09/13 03:53 AM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Good write up, Dan.

I noticed that same oddity in the remote but I only used it long enough to teach my universal the command set so it wasn't anything I paid much attention.

The OSD kinda reminds me of the VCR OSD we had back in the 90's. Perfectly functional just very simple. I don't mind it but since this is the first pre-amp I've had (upgraded from Outlaw's 1050 receiver) I don't have any basis for comparison. I have no idea what options are out there for OSD.

The front panel brightness and power light don't bug me at all. I like being able to see them when I look for it. However, this may either be a personal preference or due to the fact that the 975 is physically positioned low enough the coffee table obscures it when seated on the couch.

I've had a couple of flashes of color you describe when switching HDMI sources, but my sources always kick in so it may just be some weirdness with your sources and the 975 handshaking. For example, our first generation ROKU box wouldn't ever synch up with the 975. This wasn't a big deal for us as there were plans to move that one to the bedroom and drop in the second gen unit at some point, I just wasn't planning to do it on initial set up. The box works great with our TV, just won't connect to the 975. My guess is that it may have something to do with the age and the HDMI specs when it was built but I really don't have enough experience with HDMI to say. Have you noticed if it's a particular source that drops out on you or is it random?

Like you, we love the way the 975 sounds and finally being able to use HDMI inputs and get the full lossless soundtracks has been fantastic. smile

#93356 - 07/09/13 04:36 AM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
danomatic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

That lossless audio is the best thing about Blu-ray. I'm replacing my DVDs for that reason alone.
As far as one particular source triggering the HDMI failure, it has happened when switching to any of my 3 inputs (dumb luck with only 3-4 occurrences). The source equipment is fairly current and I've never experienced a problem before.
The HDMI issue is the only true letdown. But it only happens during a switch and the unit power cycles pretty fast (much faster than the 'ol Denon).

#93363 - 07/12/13 01:03 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
danomatic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

UPDATE - HDMI Switching:

After playing around with switching sources and entering/exiting the OSD I can only say this:
The issue I'm having is pretty random (but not too frequent). Most of the time the picture flakes out while audio is still present. Most of the time the unit will recover if I switch between sources a couple times, otherwise a power cycle of the unit takes care of it. My HDMI sources are all pretty current (TV < 1 year old, HDTV < 1 year (NVIDIA card), oldest is PS3 at about 2 years old). But I've never had any issues before. This unit just seems to struggle a bit making the connection (usually audio comes on a bit after the video). Nevertheless, once a connection is made all is good. This 975 plus my Axiom ADA-1000 does a damn fine job of rocking the house. I'd have to call the 975 a bit "quirky" but still wholly satisfactory.

#93364 - 07/13/13 04:43 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
That could be the contact pins on the HDMI cables or jacks. Unplugging and reconnecting them once or twice may help to refresh the surface contacts.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM