Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#92452 - 01/21/13 12:37 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: EEman]
fourtensandtwo Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: EEman
I ran a test this weekend with the Digital Video Essentials disk and my system. According to the DVE docs the test tone should provide a SPL of 75 dB if the system is calibrated correctly.

With my 975 on max volume (0 dB) I read 71 dB at my listening position on the Radio Shack meter. My speakers have a senstivity of 87 dB. So it appears that with th volumen knob at 0 dB, which is unity gain, then the levels for HDMI appear close-for my system. I'll grant that it would be nice to have a little more gain for those with inefficient speakers or larger listening areas.

dB scale is logarithmic, 4dB is a significant difference.

#92455 - 01/21/13 04:32 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Significant in what sense? It's a lot of power but a 4 dB difference in SPL only equates to a 1.32x difference in perceived loudness. A 10 dB difference in SPL is required for a 2x perceived difference.

#92456 - 01/21/13 04:44 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: EEman]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Or to put it another way, if you are down 4dB from your target you are loosing approximately 24% of your sound level.
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#92458 - 01/21/13 05:02 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: mdrconsult]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Correct.

Or if you're an optimist you'd still have 76% of your targeted level. laugh

For me it's a moot point as I have never had to turn it up that loud for music or movies. I do understand why some people might want more though.

I'd be interested in what others who are having loudness issues would measure using the same setup...

#92462 - 01/21/13 10:16 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: EEman]
srrndhound Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: EEman
I ran a test this weekend with the Digital Video Essentials disk and my system. According to the DVE docs the test tone should provide a SPL of 75 dB if the system is calibrated correctly.

With my 975 on max volume (0 dB) I read 71 dB at my listening position on the Radio Shack meter. My speakers have a senstivity of 87 dB. So it appears that with the volume knob at 0 dB, which is unity gain, then the levels for HDMI appear close-for my system. I'll grant that it would be nice to have a little more gain for those with inefficient speakers or larger listening areas.
Your 7075 amp has 28 dB gain, 1 dB less than "typical." Not a big deal, but as long as we're splitting hairs. wink

I did a survey a several calibration discs, and whereas most do hit 75 dB, for some reason the DVE DVD came out at 73 dB. So if we add 2 dB to your 71 dB readings, you'd really be getting 73 dB (from other sources).

#92467 - 01/22/13 12:49 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: srrndhound]
fourtensandtwo Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: srrndhound
Your 7075 amp has 28 dB gain, 1 dB less than "typical." Not a big deal, but as long as we're splitting hairs. wink

We can get another cut on that hair... IIRC 29dB gain is the "THX Certified" target whereas many amps shoot a little lower in the 26-27dB range... seeking a goldilocks balance between power, loop feedback, distortion, and stability.

#92468 - 01/22/13 12:51 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
blueone Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just an update on my output level problem...

I am using the 975 in stereo mode. After talking with Scott the output level issue with the Sony Blueray player was solved by changing the Sony audio output mode from Dolby to PCM. In my testing on a DVD and a Blueray disc the volume level I was getting at 0db is now available at about -10db, which should give us sufficient headroom. On my system I consider the problem solved.

#92470 - 01/22/13 01:55 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: blueone]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
GREAT NEWS!

Honestly the nearly infinite number of setting that the different digital devices deliver to the rest of the audio chain is DIZZYING and the negative effects of how some output format buried three pages deep in poorly thought out menus is infuriating.

Just because HDMI has made "physical connection layer" harder to get wrong the various setup items that manufacturers have "baked in" are still far from "goof proof". I wonder how many installation done by "certified installers" have various settings delivering sub-optimal sound / video???

Originally Posted By: blueone
Just an update on my output level problem...

I am using the 975 in stereo mode. After talking with Scott the output level issue with the Sony Blueray player was solved by changing the Sony audio output mode from Dolby to PCM. In my testing on a DVD and a Blueray disc the volume level I was getting at 0db is now available at about -10db, which should give us sufficient headroom. On my system I consider the problem solved.

#92487 - 01/24/13 07:16 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
ChiTown Hustler Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Lompoc, CA
Hello Outlaws,

I've been reading the posts on the max volume control and thought I'd weigh in. I too have the limited volume experience. I moved from a Model 1070, which ran my surround speakers with the 1070 serving as a preamp to a 2 channel Conrad Johnson MF2200 amp for my mains. The CJ is 200w into 8 ohms. Speakers are Kef iQ90 which are matched at 8 ohms and max at 200w with 91dB sensitivity. The source is a HTPC.

The only change I made so far was to remove the 1070 and add the 975 into the system playing only the mains at the moment. I'll be adding a Model 7125 for my surrounds when it arrives. I am still using coax between the HTPC and the 975 as I did with the 1070. No other changes have been made. Channel calibration is set to 0 for both mains.

I have not yet measured the volume with an SPL meter, but the issue I have is that the music's perceived volume is not as loud as the 1070. The volume indicator is in the single digit dB range when listening to music at less than concert levels. Not much headroom.

Since the volume does not go beyond 0dB my question then is: what is my incentive for purchasing the Model 7125 (125w) versus the 7075 (75w), or continuing to use my CJ amp (200w)? If the volume control has a maximum then I cannot take advantage of the power output of a higher wattage amp. Am I missing something here?

Regardless of the volume control the music is crystal clear with great hi's and low low's. I also love the 975's size and simplicity.

#92493 - 01/25/13 07:37 PM Re: 975 - After about 1 month (positive / Negative) [Re: Adrian L]
srrndhound Offline
Gunslinger

^^ What are your music sources? Are they analog or digital connections? Seems it must be low if you are running in single digits. I'm usually at -20 to -30 for normal. Perhaps you just like it loud!

Re: power amps, usually the reason for buying a power amp with twice the wattage is not the extra 3 dB in peak loudness, but in the quality of the sound at all levels. The improved sense of authority and control, or refinement it imparts.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM