Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#91811 - 11/22/12 10:44 PM Re: What is the competition for the 975 [Re: XenonMan]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Zone two is easy to get with a speaker selector box. You just can't run both at the same time.

Thanks, but we need simultaneous which allows music to cover the whole first floor at a reasonable listening level. -Bob

#91817 - 11/23/12 03:39 PM Re: What is the competition for the 975 [Re: bobm]
ScottH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Audioholics has a first look on the 975 by the same reviewer that did the Emotiva UMC-200 preview. I don't believe either unit has shipped yet. The UMC-200 has auto-eq and multi zone which were already pointed out. It also has USB that accepts the Emotive dongle only. On the downside it only has HDMI input and output, and my cable box doesn't output HDMI. There are component to HDMI converters available, but they add to the cost and the complexity of the system. I'm looking forward to reviews of both.

#91818 - 11/24/12 08:08 AM Re: What is the competition for the 975 [Re: ScottH]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

ScottH,

On Monday hometheaterreview.com plans to upload a full review of the Model 975 (the first official evaluation anywhere of this processor). We are told that the review will focus on audible performance and generalized comparisons to other processors that the reviewer (Andrew Robinson) presently has in his system. He already alluded to this in one of his teaser posts. Like everyone else, we are waiting impatiently for his final conclusions.

Peter

Edited by PeterT (11/24/12 12:39 PM)

#91821 - 11/26/12 01:17 AM Re: What is the competition for the 975 [Re: bobm]
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: bobm
Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Zone two is easy to get with a speaker selector box. You just can't run both at the same time.

Thanks, but we need simultaneous which allows music to cover the whole first floor at a reasonable listening level. -Bob

I think the apples and oranges have gotten mixed.

Zone 2: the ability to play the same, or a different, source in another locale. "Or a different" is what makes it different from...

Speaker selector switch: which allows the same source material to be fed to multiple sets of speakers. A good selector switch will protect against the possibility of a low impedance being presented to the amp, thus allowing multiple speakers to be driven off the same amp at the same time.

In my rather simple family room HT I combine both. I have a Pioneer receiver with Zone 2 capabilities. I have a four (pair) speaker selector switch connected to the Zone 2 speaker output - with two pairs currently attached. Off Zone 2 I drive a stereo set-up (with sub) in my dining room, and a pair of outdoor speakers. While they are limited to the same source material, it can be the same, or different, from what's playing in the family room. Even off the low-powered Zone 2 receiver outputs, I've never had any problems driving them all to good clean listening levels at the same time.

The lack of Zone 2 means only one source can be played at the same time.

The lack of Zone 2 does not mean that you can't drive the same source material to multiple pairs of speakers using a good (but not necessarily expensive) speaker selector switch.

Or did you guys mean bananas and mangos?

smile

#91833 - 11/26/12 03:52 PM Re: What is the competition for the 975 [Re: Jeff Mackwood]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Jeff Mackwood

The lack of Zone 2 does not mean that you can't drive the same source material to multiple pairs of speakers using a good (but not necessarily expensive) speaker selector switch.

Interesting idea Jeff, for our needs we only need the “same” source played on two sets of speakers. That way when we walk through our first floor the music can be heard at a somewhat consistent and reasonable volume level. I can do this easily with my Yamaha using zone 2 but like you said a decent speaker selection box would work as well.

A few questions:

1) Zone 2 does allow me volume control which is a nice feature which I assume the speaker selection box would not provide.
2) I cringe at creating additional connections between my amp and mains, although this is something I could test.
3) Recommendations for a good speaker selection box?

Thanks for the input,

Bob

#91835 - 11/26/12 06:17 PM Re: What is the competition for the 975 [Re: Jeff Mackwood]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
What Jeff describes above is exactly what I use in my NC home. Zone 2 on my outlaw 990 feeds two channels on my 7500 which then feeds a speaker selector which feeds 4 pairs of speakers around the house (garage, deck, master bedroom and front of house) I can run any or all at the same time. Strawberries and Kiwis for me.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#91837 - 11/26/12 07:06 PM Re: What is the competition for the 975 [Re: bobm]
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: bobm
Originally Posted By: Jeff Mackwood

Interesting idea Jeff, for our needs we only need the “same” source played on two sets of speakers. That way when we walk through our first floor the music can be heard at a somewhat consistent and reasonable volume level. I can do this easily with my Yamaha using zone 2 but like you said a decent speaker selection box would work as well.

A few questions:

1) Zone 2 does allow me volume control which is a nice feature which I assume the speaker selection box would not provide.
2) I cringe at creating additional connections between my amp and mains, although this is something I could test.
3) Recommendations for a good speaker selection box?

Thanks for the input,

Bob

Bob,

Google "TC-9 4 Way Stereo Speaker Control" to turn up multiple hits (Amazon.com and eBay) to the unit that I am using. In fact I own two of them: one that's installed in my family room HT as previously described, and another that I pull out and use when doing multiple speaker demos etc.

It's a very rugged little box; very solid. The selector toggles work and feel very high quality. For convenience I wish it had binding post connections instead of spring clips, but given everything else about it (and the typical $35 asking price - or so) it's a small quibble.

It lacks level controls of any type - but again not expected at that price. However I seem to recall seeing models with such controls, from the same company, back when I bought this one, for slightly more coin. I could be mistaken.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts