Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#92768 - 02/26/13 12:25 PM Re: I don't understand the need to pair? [Re: JonSisk]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
In my market the thing that upset me more than 48FPS being fairly widely available was the limited (once single theater!!!) availability of ATMOS -- Hobbit with its caves and rain and such is tailor made to the immersive multichannel sound of ATMOS...

http://www.hfrmovies.com/48-fps-theater-list/

It would be quite an accomplishment for someone to work out the "psycho-acostics" of using a sound bar (like the OSB-1) to recreate the spatial cues of ATMOS which has the capability to encode for 64 discrete speaker locations -- http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/cinema/dolby-atmos-creators.html

#93579 - 10/14/13 12:18 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
flyntm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Plano, TX
I installed my new OSB-1 this weekend and I'm very pleased, but probably for a different reason than most Outlaws. I no longer claim to be an audiophile because my hearing is missing a few frequencies. It's not bad enough for hearing aids but I do need to turn the TV up to hear the dialog clearly. My wife then complains that it's too loud. Anyway, the OSB-1 has resolved the problem. When I'm watching TV the OSB-1 SP mode (speech) raises the dialog level without the background noise being increased. Putting it in the 3 channel mode seems to help too. I can hear clearly and my wife is not asking, "can we turn it down?" Marriage saved! For music, the other modes sound pretty darn good too! Great product.

#93580 - 10/14/13 02:58 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for your comments.

For those that might be interested in how it works, the SP (speech circuit) is actually a combination of a gentile compressor paired with a three dB boost in the critical voice frequencies.

To calibrate this feature we actually listened to two shows produced by Aaron Sorkin: The West Wing and The Newsroom. Both shows are characterized by quick dialog and in the case of the West Wing-overlapping dialog, which can create challenges in delivering crystal clear intelligibility. The speech circuit dramatically improves this issue. In addition, for late night listening, the circuit is invaluable.

Peter

#93581 - 10/14/13 07:23 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I have pretty "normal" hearing for a guy my age (not yet 50...) and I wonder what kind of morons do the sound mix for some shows / movies -- I like the ambient sounds of street scenes, busy offices / industrial sites as much as anybody but when the DIALOGUE matters and you have to boost your output 10 db or more to make it intelligible that becomes a real negative...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts