Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#91609 - 10/30/12 12:25 PM Re: Coming Soon to a Home Like Yours... [Re: Ritz2]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Originally Posted By: Ritz2
Remind me of what the attraction is supposed to be? I thought us outlaws were fledgling audiophile types. How are ya going to get those fancy BluRay soundtracks to work without an HDMI input?

I understand disagreeing with Outlaw's low-end processor strategy and build in China mentality (and have often agreed with you on those points). However, being deliberately difficult for what is clearly intended to be primarily a second or third TV solution does not become you.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#91610 - 10/30/12 03:24 PM Re: Coming Soon to a Home Like Yours... [Re: 73Bruin]
BrentButterworth Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Canoga Park, CA
Hi, just noticed this thread and thought I'd weigh in on the HDMI/BluRay issue. I do all the soundbar measurements for Sound+Vision and I just reviewed the Atlantic PowerBar 235. (I think that's going to be in the December issue but I'm not sure.)

HDMI would have a sonic advantage only if your soundbar offers DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD. The only soundbar I've tested so far that offers those formats is the Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR, and that costs $1,999.

The improvements you get by going from DD or DTS to one of the lossless formats are usually pretty subtle even on a good 5.1 system, and would probably be very hard to hear on a 2.0 soundbar.

If you wanted to put more money into the PowerBar 235/Outlaw OSB-1 to improve the sound quality, you'd be better off IMO by putting in a more refined passive xover, or biamping and doing digital xover/EQ, or beefing up the woofers and amps even more, or adding center-channel drivers.

HDMI can be a great convenience feature thanks to ARC/CEC, but from a sound quality standpoint I don't believe it's important in a soundbar, unless maybe you start to get into a very expensive and sophisticated soundbar.

Edited by BrentButterworth (10/30/12 03:24 PM)

#91611 - 10/30/12 05:06 PM Re: Coming Soon to a Home Like Yours... [Re: BrentButterworth]
LeeW Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, Tx
Originally Posted By: BrentButterworth
I just reviewed the Atlantic PowerBar 235.....

And.......

#91612 - 10/30/12 06:02 PM Re: Coming Soon to a Home Like Yours... [Re: LeeW]
BrentButterworth Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Canoga Park, CA
Can't spill the beans! You'll have to wait for the review to appear. I will tell you this much, though: 48 Hz.

#91613 - 10/30/12 07:45 PM Re: Coming Soon to a Home Like Yours... [Re: BrentButterworth]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Damn! Brent. You mean we missed by one Hertz!

Check the instruments,the mics and the ground itself!

Round up all the usual suspects! wink

Peter

#91615 - 11/01/12 03:05 PM Re: Coming Soon to a Home Like Yours... [Re: 73Bruin]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
Originally Posted By: Ritz2
Remind me of what the attraction is supposed to be? I thought us outlaws were fledgling audiophile types. How are ya going to get those fancy BluRay soundtracks to work without an HDMI input?

I understand disagreeing with Outlaw's low-end processor strategy and build in China mentality (and have often agreed with you on those points). However, being deliberately difficult for what is clearly intended to be primarily a second or third TV solution does not become you.

Was I being deliberately difficult? It wasn't my intention. Having an HDMI input and the ability to decode BluRay content seems like it ought to be features that most sensible folks would want....even for a second or third TV application.

BluRay was launched 6 years ago...just sayin'...

#91616 - 11/01/12 03:06 PM Re: Coming Soon to a Home Like Yours... [Re: BrentButterworth]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: BrentButterworth
Hi, just noticed this thread and thought I'd weigh in on the HDMI/BluRay issue. I do all the soundbar measurements for Sound+Vision and I just reviewed the Atlantic PowerBar 235. (I think that's going to be in the December issue but I'm not sure.)

HDMI would have a sonic advantage only if your soundbar offers DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD. The only soundbar I've tested so far that offers those formats is the Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR, and that costs $1,999.

The improvements you get by going from DD or DTS to one of the lossless formats are usually pretty subtle even on a good 5.1 system, and would probably be very hard to hear on a 2.0 soundbar.

If you wanted to put more money into the PowerBar 235/Outlaw OSB-1 to improve the sound quality, you'd be better off IMO by putting in a more refined passive xover, or biamping and doing digital xover/EQ, or beefing up the woofers and amps even more, or adding center-channel drivers.

HDMI can be a great convenience feature thanks to ARC/CEC, but from a sound quality standpoint I don't believe it's important in a soundbar, unless maybe you start to get into a very expensive and sophisticated soundbar.

And THIS was the sort of answer I was after.

Best,

#91617 - 11/01/12 03:18 PM Re: Coming Soon to a Home Like Yours... [Re: Ritz2]
rangerider Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey Gang:
The best review that I have found on the Atlantic Technology H-pas 235 can be read at www.hometheater.com/category/sound bar reviews. It gives a excellent ratings in virtually every category.

Hope this helps anyone making a decision to pull the trigger as I know I will be for a Christmas gift for myself.

Best Regards
RangeRider

#91638 - 11/06/12 09:23 AM Re: Coming Soon to a Home Like Yours... [Re: rangerider]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Quote:
Damn! Brent. You mean we missed by one Hertz!

Peter, you are WAY too conservative in stating your Marketing Hertz. In my world of electronic projectors, there's Marketing lumens and there's actual ANSI lumens. 10% to 40% variance. Go for it, and claim 40 Hertz grin
On a serious note, members: I listened to Peter's H-pas demo in Vegas, and like the other attendees, was amazed at how those small drivers loaded the demo room with serious bass!

#91676 - 11/14/12 10:00 PM Re: Coming Soon to a Home Like Yours... [Re: Hank]
glenee Offline
Gunslinger

Is anyone here going to buy one so we can get a owner review ?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts