Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#91481 - 09/29/12 10:24 PM The OAW3 and a Audioquest DragonFly DAC
JayDee Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nassau County NY
Hi everyone

I was wondering if I could get your input on this scenario.

All my laptops unfortunately have a dac in them from Beats Audio that I'm not too fond of. I send music from my laptop to my audio system via the Outlaw Audio OAW3 system.

I was thinking to improve the sound of music from my laptop I would acquire a Audioquest Dragonfly and plug into my laptop.

Since the DragonFly does not have a mini usb output I would then use a 3.5mm to Mini USB adapter to one of the Outlaw Audio OAW3 modudles.

Do you think this kind of set-up would work? I don't want to buy a DragonFly DAC and then not be able to send the improved sound from my computer to my audio system. I also want to avoid a really long 3.5mm to RCA Y adapter cable.

Any other thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#91487 - 10/01/12 10:23 AM Re: The OAW3 and a Audioquest DragonFly DAC [Re: JayDee]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Does your current hookup have the OAW3 transmitter hooked up to the USB port of your computer? (i.e. you are not using the 1/8" stereo connector on the transmitter side) If so then I think you are not using the DAC in your laptop but rather the one in the OAW3 which is advertized as "CD quality" but otherwise has no real specs that I can find.

If you want to use the DragonFly then I would break out the USB power adapter for the transmitter side and use the 1/8" stereo input for the analog. Both these cable came with the )AW3 so nothing new to buy there. I can't say whether or how much better this would be though.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM