Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#91481 - 09/29/12 10:24 PM The OAW3 and a Audioquest DragonFly DAC
JayDee Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nassau County NY
Hi everyone

I was wondering if I could get your input on this scenario.

All my laptops unfortunately have a dac in them from Beats Audio that I'm not too fond of. I send music from my laptop to my audio system via the Outlaw Audio OAW3 system.

I was thinking to improve the sound of music from my laptop I would acquire a Audioquest Dragonfly and plug into my laptop.

Since the DragonFly does not have a mini usb output I would then use a 3.5mm to Mini USB adapter to one of the Outlaw Audio OAW3 modudles.

Do you think this kind of set-up would work? I don't want to buy a DragonFly DAC and then not be able to send the improved sound from my computer to my audio system. I also want to avoid a really long 3.5mm to RCA Y adapter cable.

Any other thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#91487 - 10/01/12 10:23 AM Re: The OAW3 and a Audioquest DragonFly DAC [Re: JayDee]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Does your current hookup have the OAW3 transmitter hooked up to the USB port of your computer? (i.e. you are not using the 1/8" stereo connector on the transmitter side) If so then I think you are not using the DAC in your laptop but rather the one in the OAW3 which is advertized as "CD quality" but otherwise has no real specs that I can find.

If you want to use the DragonFly then I would break out the USB power adapter for the transmitter side and use the 1/8" stereo input for the analog. Both these cable came with the )AW3 so nothing new to buy there. I can't say whether or how much better this would be though.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts