Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#91465 - 09/27/12 09:48 PM Re: The new entry level processor [Re: XenonMan]
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Having never heard the 990, where was it lacking in sound quality? I find it odd that every time a manufacturer comes out with a new generation it has better sound quality. When I got my 950 eons ago everyone claimed the sound quality rivaled gear many times more expensive. Then the 970 and 990 came out each with increasing levels of ... sound quality. It's so arbitrary I can't figure out why some consider it a feature of a processor.

#91466 - 09/28/12 06:59 AM Re: The new entry level processor [Re: Keta]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
I'll state my personal "opinion": SQ is a critical, key feature of a "processor", because the processor in the case of an Outlaw pre/pro, is also the preamplifier in one's sound system. Front-end components (CD player, DVD player, etc) will have their SQ affected by the system preamplifier. High-end, expensive front-end components with high SQ will have that SQ either degraded or not, depending on the SQ of the system preamplifier. Power amps at the ouput of the preamp, likewise will have their SQ affected by the preamp.
And yes, it's the nature of consumer products that next generation models are marketed with the old "new and improved" focus. I still have my 950 with its loud transformer hum and barely working volume control, waiting for the next Outlaw pre/pro.

#91467 - 09/28/12 11:53 AM Re: The new entry level processor [Re: Keta]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Keta
When I got my 950 eons ago everyone claimed the sound quality rivaled gear many times more expensive. Then the 970 and 990 came out each with increasing levels of ... sound quality.

I agree, I can’t really tell any difference in SQ between electronics that I have purchased. I bought my Yamaha to replace my broken 950 and pleased with the performance which is just as good as the 950. I only listen critically in stereo which I guess has been nailed with the current state of technology.

I would be interested in how the new processor does in lab testing. There it is possible to get some objective results if you can trust the magazines. If I remember the 950 was reviewed by S&V and did ok but not stellar.

-Bob

#91468 - 09/28/12 02:44 PM Re: The new entry level processor [Re: PodBoy]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Originally Posted By: PodBoy
Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
...I can virtually guarantee that it will not have state of the art SQ...

And how can you do that? Have you heard it? One has to say that you are jumping the gun just a bit here.

Like any number of processors that are announced but not yet available, any speculation on the SQ is just that: SPECULATION.

Or do you have some inside news you can let us in on?

No I do not have any inside information, but I can read and understand the meaning of words.

First I do know that Outlaw strives to provide "high performance" and value ("substantially more performance for a much lower price"). I have never seen anything in their mission statements and code that strive to provide "State of the Art" To me that means that the 975 will probably be the best performing pre-processor at its price point. I buy Outlaw products because of their value.

Having said that, State of the Art and Entry Level are mutually exclusive terms. By definition, State of the Art means a no compromise design, that uses the best available components regardless of cost. Entry Level means that components lower in cost then their State of Art equivalents were deliberately selected to provide a product at a lower price point.

Edited by 73Bruin (09/28/12 02:49 PM)
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#91469 - 09/28/12 04:27 PM Re: The new entry level processor [Re: 73Bruin]
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

"State of the Art" and "Entry Level" need not be mutually exclusive. In addition, one man's "entry" is another man's "high end", so it all depends on your viewpoint and what your level of sophistication and budget requirements are.

Don't you think it would be good idea to wait until you can see it, hear it and know what the price is before you make this kind of pronouncement? The whole idea of doing a smart "State of the Art" product is to do it with the right features and performance at the right price.

It has been said that "You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts." True, indeed, I respect your opinion, but why not wait until you see what it is -- which is to say have the facts. THEN make the judgement. State of the Art can differ within prices, as well. But, you ARE entitled to your own opinion. So are the rest of us.

#91470 - 09/28/12 05:35 PM Re: The new entry level processor [Re: PodBoy]
H Stevens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
"State of the Art" and "Entry Level" need not be mutually exclusive. In addition, one man's "entry" is another man's "high end", so it all depends on your viewpoint and what your level of sophistication and budget requirements are.

Don't you think it would be good idea to wait until you can see it, hear it and know what the price is before you make this kind of pronouncement? The whole idea of doing a smart "State of the Art" product is to do it with the right features and performance at the right price.

It has been said that "You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts." True, indeed, I respect your opinion, but why not wait until you see what it is -- which is to say have the facts. THEN make the judgement. State of the Art can differ within prices, as well. But, you ARE entitled to your own opinion. So are the rest of us.

This reminds me of a song:

"It's only half-past twelve but I don't care. It's five o'clock somewhere"

Drink up boy's! Sounds like happy hour!

#91471 - 09/28/12 07:05 PM Re: The new entry level processor [Re: H Stevens]
Hank Offline
Desperado

H Stevens, you are correct. Let's forget about advance opinions and wait for facts. Meanwhile, I'm attending the Flying Saucer BEERFEAST here in Austin tomorrow: http://www.beerfeast2012.com/austin.php?location=austin A first-class (dare I say "State of the Art"?) event.

#91472 - 09/28/12 07:21 PM Re: The new entry level processor [Re: Hank]
H Stevens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
Flying Saucer BEERFEAST! That sounds fantastic!

While your there don't forget to try a "Ex-Wife Extra Bitter Pale Ale". They're not very smooth, but they go down well.

#91476 - 09/29/12 12:29 AM Re: The new entry level processor [Re: PodBoy]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA

I guess you fall in with Humpty Dumpty on word usage: "When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less".

I will be happy to wait for the 975 to come out and see the features it offers and the price. Hopefully it will have SQ superior to the 990 so if mine ever dies, I might have a reasonably priced replacement.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#91477 - 09/29/12 08:28 AM Re: The new entry level processor [Re: 73Bruin]
Hank Offline
Desperado

H Stevens: laugh I'll drink one for you.
73Bruin: Great quote and so very appropriate for this hobby of ours grin

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM