Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#9116 - 09/14/06 04:05 PM using a ps3 as my system dvd/cd player
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
what do you guys think about using my ps3 as my system blu-ray/dvd/cd player. do you think it will provide audiophile performance, or do think it is better to go with a oppo player. i have currently an outlaw 970/7075 combo and a full 5.1 aperion setup. do you think ps3 in terms of cd and dvd quality will be a good fit or is it better to go with a dedicated player like the oppo?

#9117 - 09/14/06 04:23 PM Re: using a ps3 as my system dvd/cd player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's too soon to tell how the PS3 will perform with DVD and CD playback. There are some hints that it's going to be a really good Blu-ray player, but there's nothing first-hand to back that up and there's even less information about DVD and CD. CD performance would probably be fine. (Interesting observation: Sony's Blu-ray player will not support CD playback at all, but the PS3 will since it is backward compatible with PS1 games.) Upscaling DVD performance is more of a mystery. I tend to suspect that an Oppo would do a better job with DVD's, but as with any upscaling DVD discussion you also have to consider the display - if the TV has good scaling capabilities and the PS3 can be set to output 480i via HDMI, it might still work out well.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts