Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#9108 - 09/03/06 09:16 AM In-wall recommendations
phmeehan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I’m looking to buy the 990 with the 7125. I’ll project a screen against one of the walls. The room in my basement is 16’ X 35’. I would like go with in-walls because we have 4 small children. I think that is the way for me to go. I have reached a point of paralysis through analysis. I could use some recommendations for some in-walls to pair up with the 990 and the 7125.

Thanks! Pat.

#9109 - 09/25/06 10:26 PM Re: In-wall recommendations
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
I am using Polk Audio RC85i in-wall speakers with my 7125. I am very satisfied with them.
I actually fell inlove with a set of Martin Logan Fresco on-wall speakers that got me leaning in the direction of abandoning my floor speakers. But I took a look at my wallet and ended up with the Polk Audio speakers.
The sound performance to cost ratio make the Polks a great deal.

#9110 - 09/26/06 01:13 AM Re: In-wall recommendations
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
I have Polk RC inwalls in my bedroom system, and like garcianc says, the bang for the buck is nice, considering decent inwalls have gotten very pricey of late. However, I wouldn't put them in my main system. Basic Polks will get you there, but if you're thinking in audiophile terms, you might want to consider Triads, psb's, or even Polk LCi's.

Other than brand, here are some considerations I learnt about inwalls:
  • Determine the placement and location on the wall before choosing a speaker, and be sure to avoid sharing wall cavities with existing wiring if possible. Also, check the depth of the wall cavities in all locations to ensure proper fit (I used a long BBQ skewer - clean, of course).
  • More expensive speakers have enclosures (like nicer polks and triad InWalls). Build an inwall enclosure for basic inwalls to get the best sound. Dense wood bracing and insulation can help eliminate typical sonic issues for inwalls.
  • There are a wide range of speaker sizes and performance, so choose a good brand with the best performance you can afford - it won't be so easy to upgrade these things.
  • If you think you might ever sell the house, you're (most likely) selling the speakers with it. Inwalls are a nice selling point, but you won't get anywhere near your money back on pricier models.

#9111 - 09/26/06 08:48 AM Re: In-wall recommendations
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
Agree with sluggo on the audiophile choice - it's either floor-standing or expensive in/on-wall speakers. I should have clarified that only my sides and surround speakers are in-wall. My front, center and subwoofer are all trip hazards. I couldn't see myself replacing them with expensive in-walls in an area that should see no traffic (my equipment cabinet is in a separate area). I actually considered putting them behind an acoustic cloth wall. That is until I checked out the prices.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts