Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#90980 - 07/18/12 01:55 PM Re: 978 Dead [Re: gonk]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
Originally Posted By: gonk
That's a real horror story - I feel bad for everyone who was waiting for the Model 978 (including myself, as I was looking forward to hearing the 978), but I feel bad for the team at Outlaw, too. For folks like Scott who have been actively involved in the design, to get so close to the end and see the product killed due to forces outside their control? That has to be really hard to swallow.

Nice to see you again around here Gonk although I wish it were under more enjoyable circumstances. Damn, I was convinced you were part of the beta testers. I guess I was wrong...

#90981 - 07/18/12 01:59 PM Re: 978 Dead [Re: jam]
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Hats off to Peter & Co. for being so upfront about what went on...it sort of explains the lengthy silences, and leaves us rooting for Outlaw to make a comeback in the pre-pro world. I was one of those who bought a "last year's model" Marantz as a hedge on an eventual 978. Best of luck to all at Outlaw; I still use and love my Outlaw amps (755, 200's, now vintage stuff!), loved my old Outlaw rcvr/pre-pros (1050,950,990) and hope that their entry-level offering is a hit!
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#90986 - 07/18/12 02:22 PM Re: 978 Dead [Re: NRBQLou]
jkvoth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Beaumont, TX, USA
I feel bad for the Outlaw guys but man they have had some really poor business practices of late. Even before all this happened with the competitor, they still basically refused to give updates except for maybe twice a year. There were people posting on here that they would never use Outlaw again and others that remained loyal that were begging for some kind of update and still couldn't get one for months at a time. I posted in the ICBM-2 forum months ago asking for something as far as news goes on this, and I got no response, and still haven't. I'm in the restaurant business and appreciate and need every customer I can get. I sell $4 hamburgers. A customer for these guys spends $500 to several thousand dollars. I can't believe Outlaw were letting customers walk out their door all over a simple monthly update. I also wonder why they can't get their product's information that would allow them to go to another manufacturer. I don't believe in silly conspiracy theories and all that. It seems to me that these guys just suck at rolling out new products and sucks even worse at picking partners. However, I think a simpler pre-pro will serve them well. XT32 is nice, but Behringer makes high quality parametric eq's for cheap and Room Eq Wizard is free at Home Theater Shack. For those worried about the dual sub eq'ing capabilities of XT32, a Marantz SR5005, a 2 channel Behringer Feedback Destroyer, the microphone and sound card needed for measurement, can be had for well under $1,000. Not to mention the education you'll receive from manually tweaking you're system. The 978 would have been well beyond that price point. You can also get 2 Velodyne SMS-1's and a Marantz SR5005 or Denon, for around $1500. Don't know what the price point was going to be on the 978 but I couldn't imagine it being cheaper than that. Modern pre-pro's seem to be the big leagues of home theater manufacturing and Outlaw obviously isn't there yet.

Edited by jkvoth (07/18/12 02:26 PM)
Rotel RMB-1075
Oppo BDP-93
M&K LCR 75 mains
M&K Center 750
M&K SS550 Surrounds
M&K SS550 Back Surrounds
Dual Epik Legends

#90999 - 07/18/12 04:39 PM Re: 978 Dead [Re: Dave K.]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Dave K.
Originally Posted By: ColonelPackage
From the way the story was described, it sure seems like there should be some sort of legal recourse for Outlaw, no? Surely there were contracts that were broken. To have the development and manufacturing completely and abruptly abandoned and to be left with a fraction of the product's IP with no way to finish its development seems really strange. I'm not suggesting some other conspiracy, it just seems weird that that's the end of the story.

To me, Outlaw not having a legal claim to the 978 design documentation is all-telling. I wonder if there were any valid contracts in place at all- other than perhaps a manufacturing agreement.

The Outlaw e-mail tries to make it sound like they were unwitting victims of a circumstance with no possible [or desirable] recourse. Sounds like there are several serious lessons to be learned [by Outlaw] here.

You're talking about CHINA. If the contract was with the Chinese manufacturer, they effectively have no recourse. Even if they try to enforce a contract and win, the judgments tend to be small and unenforceable. It would be like getting a debt judgement against someone and having the local marshal telling you to get lost when you try to enforce an asset seizure or collection attempt. Happens ALL the time in China. It's really the law of the jungle. Whoever has the deepest pockets and/or the support of the local political cadres calls the shots.

Now if Outlaw had any legal leg to stand on (don't know if they do or don't), it's always possible to go after the "big north American company" in a court in north America. I'm sure some bean counter will sort out the cost/benefit analysis of that route, if it's even open to them, and they'll proceed how they must.

I don't think anyone is getting their jollies over this event.

Best,

#91001 - 07/18/12 05:05 PM Re: 978 Dead [Re: Ritz2]
S. Sharkey Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
As far as who the NA manufacturer is, it can only be a handful. Someone who is close to releasing a new model. Compare the back end of the 978 to a few different upcoming models and it will become plain enough. It will come out who it is soon enough and they will have to face up to their actions. Too bad for Outlaw, it looks like the shut down was timed to hurt them as well.

#91003 - 07/18/12 05:24 PM Re: 978 Dead [Re: S. Sharkey]
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
"Things without all remedy
Should be without regard: what's done, is done." --- Shakespeare

Tough break for the Outlaws...but it's time to move on.

I'm looking forward to possibly replacing my excellent 1070 with their newly announced entry level processor coupled with a 1075 amp. Being budget-minded my aging AV room sofa will be first though smile

-John

#91009 - 07/18/12 07:33 PM Re: 978 Dead [Re: John Galt]
Bandido Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: OutlawLand
My condolences. This is like being pregnant for so long and when the time is near to bear the child and had to abort, very painful indeed to take. There is that little glitter of hope to look forward to for the just announced secret new product.
Outlaw 990/7500/M2200*Axiom M80/VP150/QS8/EP500*Yamaha DVD-C961B*Oppo BDP 83*Oppo BDP 93*Panasonic DMP-BD55*Vizio 4K P602ui-B3*Amazon FireTV 4K*Pioneer CD Jukebox*Panasonic PT-AE4000*xbox one*custom HTPC

#91010 - 07/18/12 08:19 PM Re: 978 Dead [Re: S. Sharkey]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: S. Sharkey
It will come out who it is soon enough and they will have to face up to their actions. Too bad for Outlaw, it looks like the shut down was timed to hurt them as well.

I agree this was timed to hurt, or it sure looks that way but I would enjoy reading the other side of the story.

I also beleive Outlaw wants us all to know the name, or they would not have given the "North American" clue. -Bob

#91012 - 07/18/12 08:29 PM Re: 978 Dead [Re: bobm]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: bobm
Originally Posted By: S. Sharkey
It will come out who it is soon enough and they will have to face up to their actions. Too bad for Outlaw, it looks like the shut down was timed to hurt them as well.

I agree this was timed to hurt, or it sure looks that way but I would enjoy reading the other side of the story.

I also beleive Outlaw wants us all to know the name, or they would not have given the "North American" clue. -Bob

As far as the other side of the story goes...it isn't that far fetched to imagine a Chinese partner that didn't think the 978 was going to result in significant sales (pick your reason) and decided that they'd bet on a horse that could keep their workers working in a more steady/predictable manner. This is a much more likely explanation, but we'll never know unless the name(s) of the various players are brought to light. If the name(s) come out, it's only going to take a phone call or two to independently sort out what happened (which isn't to say that the version posted by Peter isn't the gospel truth).

Let's face it...the 978 wasn't going to sell well at all, especially given the delay in reaching the market. While I'm sure a lot of time/sweat went into the 978, this is likely to turn out to be the more merciful outcome for Outlaw. I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish by selling a cheap processor. That market segment is packed to the gills already and packed with competitors who have a lot more to spend on R&D and manufacturing. *shrug*

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (07/18/12 08:45 PM)

#91018 - 07/18/12 09:58 PM Re: 978 Dead [Re: Ritz2]
skiman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Golden. Colorado
Originally Posted By: Ritz2

Let's face it...the 978 wasn't going to sell well at all, especially given the delay in reaching the market. While I'm sure a lot of time/sweat went into the 978, this is likely to turn out to be the more merciful outcome for Outlaw. I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish by selling a cheap processor. That market segment is packed to the gills already and packed with competitors who have a lot more to spend on R&D and manufacturing. *shrug*

Best,

The fact that a (presumeably) large 'North American' company felt threatened enough by the 978 to pressure the Chinese factory indicates that they felt the 978's sales voluume would have been significant. I know Peter has said that there was a lot of interest going back to the 997.

There may be a lot of budget priced receivers currently on the market, but very few processors at the 978's price (and none with it's feature set, i.e. XT32).

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM