Page 67 of 70 < 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 70 >
Topic Options
#90664 - 06/15/12 08:03 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: beyond 1000]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
Originally Posted By: beyond 1000
Originally Posted By: twistybox

For me, personally, anything without balanced outputs and XT32 is a non-starter. The unit also needs to provide clean/clear function feedback over HDMI, super-imposed over the incoming video.

For me too. The XT32 is a must. All Outlaw needs to do is have equal quality and relevant features BUT at a good price. That is..at an Internet Direct price that people go to shop for.

That's also my expectation and I think what most people around here are waiting for. I also hope that my doubts about the 978 not going into production turn out to be wrong. There aren't enough stellar values in this very expensive hobby.

But when one is tired of waiting and isn't being briefed on progress, the mind starts to wonder of possible reasons to try to fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle. In some ways, it would have been better for Outlaw not to divulge anything until the 978 was near ready like Marantz that is keeping tight lipped about new products until their introduction into market is eminent. But then Outlaw would have lost potential sales; sometimes you're damned if you and damned if you don't.

#90665 - 06/15/12 10:58 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: jam]
jacket_fan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Gentlemen, isn't speculation much of what this thread is all about?

Personally, I thought it funny that after all the grumbling in this thread, we receive an email from Outlaw not announcing anything about the 978, but another manufacturers product. And that the recent discussion brought up the 7007. It would be ironic if the announcement was about a new Marantz product.

I too hope Outlaw gets the kinks worked out of the 978 as I suspect that it is still in beta testing and Outlaw is just having a tough time getting the last 10% finished.

mj

#90668 - 06/16/12 07:08 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: jacket_fan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
As long as Outlaw continues to hawk newer versions of competitors equipment I think the 978 will stay in the background. Every time they bring out a new processor made by someone else the 978 slips by 6 months or so. I think the Outlaws way of communicating the delay is to offer another processor or AVR to take our minds off the upcoming announcement of delay.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#90669 - 06/16/12 08:40 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: XenonMan]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
Wow. I guess I can sorta understand venting one's frustration but there is just no correlation to the timelines / release schedules of firms like Marantz and the work that goes into custom engineering. Pages ago in this thread someone suggested that every product is just a collection of generic designs. That was shot down in a lot of ways including the details in the March update, the fact that no other firm in Outlaw's space has been able to bring products to market faster and the general re-alignment / repositioning that other firms are making with their offerings.

I appreciate the venting aspects of posting, heck I share many of the same frustrations. Fact is there is nothing to suggest that Outlaw's "sneak peek" email offer has anything to do with even a product in the same broad category as the 978 or Outlaw's ongoing offerings from Marantz. That is why I created threads for those things in the Marantz 7005 area and the Annex offerings respectively.

It is no fun being a "scold" and lord knows some folks post count is a lot higher than mine but can't anyone see the value in having some order?

Originally Posted By: XenonMan
As long as Outlaw continues to hawk newer versions of competitors equipment I think the 978 will stay in the background. Every time they bring out a new processor made by someone else the 978 slips by 6 months or so. I think the Outlaws way of communicating the delay is to offer another processor or AVR to take our minds off the upcoming announcement of delay.

#90670 - 06/16/12 08:45 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: jacket_fan]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: jacket_fan
Gentlemen, isn't speculation much of what this thread is all about?

In the absence of any significant communication from Outlaw, speculation is all that is left.

Heck, they're doing fine, right? I'm sure people are lining up to buy $400 clock radios with an iPod dock or a $450 power strip...or a $50 HDMI cable. Are you shizzizzling me? smile

Best,

#90671 - 06/16/12 11:16 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: XenonMan]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Originally Posted By: XenonMan

And every time the 978 keeps staying in the background it will become less and less relevant. If Outlaw does indeed offer the Marantz AV7007 then honestly why should I care about any 978 they may or may not plan to release. Let's give it until Christmas (AGAIN) and see where they go with it.

#90673 - 06/16/12 02:30 PM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: beyond 1000]
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
At this time I really am in no dire need for a processor however I believe that there are people who do want to make an upgrade and I think we have all been patient.
With all due respect. Christmas? You might as well say next year.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#90676 - 06/17/12 12:12 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: rubbersoul]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Originally Posted By: rubbersoul

Then I am going out on a limb here, and I hope that I am dead wrong on this, but then more like next year than this. If it is going to be sooner than Christmas it has to be September. They have to get the thing out or it is from Christmas to who knows to never.

#90679 - 06/17/12 06:29 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: beyond 1000]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: beyond 1000
Originally Posted By: rubbersoul

Then I am going out on a limb here, and I hope that I am dead wrong on this, but then more like next year than this. If it is going to be sooner than Christmas it has to be September. They have to get the thing out or it is from Christmas to who knows to never.

The bigger problem (if it even sees the light of day) is going to be "who is going to buy it?" If I was the management of Outlaw, THAT would be my over-riding concern.

Best,

#90680 - 06/17/12 09:16 AM Re: 978 Release Date [Re: Ritz2]
H Stevens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
Outlaw is not in as bad a shape as some of you believe.

Although the final cost has not been posted, if I remember correctly there was some discussion in the range of $1300. For those of us who have Outlaw processors, we will receive $200 discount as part of the Outlaw "Loyalty Program". That brings the cost down too $1100.00 if we use the $1300.00 price as a starting point for discussion. What else is available on the market that has or will have the 978's video and audio processing as well as MultiEQ XT32 on board? I can only think of the Onkyo 818 at the moment and that is an AVR. Denon, Marantz or Yamaha are not offering anything in their 2012 models that will offer as much value in the $1100 range.

Also, Outlaw arguably caters to the "Enthusiast" market not Joe and Jane out Sunday shopping looking for a "sound system" for their new widescreen. They are well known for their amps and that alone attracts a lot of attention. Once word is out that they have a new processor available, past customers as well as potential new customers will have a look. When they compare the 978 to whatever else is on the market at the time, the 978 wins.

Finally, I don't believe that it is as far off as some believe and I expect availability to be late summer or early fall. So, everybody please back away from the ledge, it's going to be alright.

Page 67 of 70 < 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 70 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM