Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#90508 - 06/06/12 10:41 AM Roger Waters' "The Wall"
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
So...

The music of Pink Floyd was hugely influential on me - 'have been essentially a life-long fan. For whatever reason, I never had the opportunity, time, money or what have you to see them play live.

However, and despite having less-than-ideal seats at the Joe Louis Arena last night, I managed to (finally) see "The Wall" live.

I spent a great deal of the show sitting in both utter amazement as well as stunned silence. This was part theater, part multi-media, part sub-culture, part topical politics, but above all...some truly great and passionate music, expertly performed and staged.

Those of you who have heard / seen the shoiw can probably relate...but to those of you who may be sitting on the fence about going...take my advice - GO SEE THIS SHOW.

Simply indescribable.
email: mark@immersifi.com
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-jay/5/82a/237

#90522 - 06/07/12 02:32 AM Re: Roger Waters' "The Wall" [Re: old_school_2]
BadLikeJesseJames Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tucson, Az.-Orange County, Ca.
I just saw it in Portland, for the 9th time.

It's the industrial grade equivalent of what we are all trying to build in our home theaters. Major difference is there is a KILLER band playing. And I've never heard any system, of any variety, sound that good. There is no parallel.

Take Old School's advice and go see this show. It's phenomenal.

Bedroom: Outlaw 990-Outlaw 7125. Aperion's all the way around. Apple TV. HTPC built from scratch.

#90525 - 06/07/12 09:05 AM Re: Roger Waters' "The Wall" [Re: BadLikeJesseJames]
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: BadLikeJesseJames
I just saw it in Portland, for the 9th time.

Wow. My envy knows no bounds. Seeing it (only) once was transformative for me...and I can completely see why you would want to see / experience it more than once.

Your statements about the overall experience (and what a lot of us strive to reproduce in a good / great home theater) are also rather apropos; this show is an experience like no other, and indeed, it serves as a sort of reference for what a live experience should sound (and feel) like. Then again...there truly is no way to replicate this kind of show at home; between the visual effects, the sound system, the wall itself, and the music (indeed, executed by a KILLER band), it's a textbook example of a true sensory experience.

I honestly don't think that any future concert event that I could attend will ever best this show.

The web (youtube) is replete with (regrettably, but understandably) low-res / fi clips from various shows, but if you want a taste...just peruse those threads. On the otehr hand, I deliberately stayed away from such threads, mainly because I wanted to see, for myself, without any preconceived notions if it was all that it had been cracked up to be.

It wasn't. It was far, far, far better than that which I was expecting...in fact, I would say, infinitely so.

BaldLikeJesseJames is right: "There is no parallel".

Go see...no, check that... go EXPERIENCE this event...I know there's too mucyh hyperbole these days, but I am dead serious when I say I will remember this experience for the rest of my life.

#90582 - 06/11/12 03:28 PM Re: Roger Waters' "The Wall" [Re: old_school_2]
beyond 1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I love the Floyd and I would love to see this in Vancouver if it comes.

#90583 - 06/11/12 04:11 PM Re: Roger Waters' "The Wall" [Re: beyond 1000]
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

I'm not sure just how far "out west" the tour is going, but I do know that Waters plans to put on a "very special" Wall performance in Quebec when the tour wraps, that is, the last tour date is in Quebec; purportedly, it will be the largest wall ever constructed on the tour. I think that I also read he had hinted at some 'special elements' to this particular show ...it kind of makes me wonder if David Gilmour would play lead for the last show. To this day, the two leads (played by DG) in "Comfortably Numb" are, in my opinion, as close to perfect guitar solos as is possible. Who knows? maybe the otehr members of the Band would also join. It could happen...right?

Still, if I think about hearing "Outside the Wall" performed live, to wrap up the show for the very last time (almost certainly, they won't tour this again), I have to think that it would be one great moment for all of the fans and followers who will be there. Frankly, I'd throw my own grandmother out of an airplane to get choice tickets to that show.

OK, I wouldn't really throw her out of an airplane, but I couldn't resist quoting / paraphrasing Steve Martin (in "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid").

Anyway...even if you have to travel a bit (assuming he's bringing the tour close to Vancouver), it is most assuredly worth the effort to experience the show.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM