Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 >
Topic Options
#90457 - 06/01/12 02:04 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Kevin C Brown]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Kevin C Brown
If Marantz offers an AV7007 processor with just XT, then there's not a lot of reason to upgrade from the AV7005 IMO.

Too bad Denon didn't put XT32 in the 3313 either.

It remains to be seen if XT vs XT32 provides much in the way of audible difference until we see some head to head comparisons. I'm a bit skeptical. Granted, higher resolution is nice to have, but I'm unconvinced that it makes a real difference in this application. I kinda like the Emotiva approach where they're apparently using embedded linux and fast DSPs. In theory, you should be able to upgrade to the latest/greatest code as long as the cpu has enough grunt to support it. I like that MUCH better than the ancien regime where you are basically tied to whatever was implemented on the day of manufacture plus or minus minor tweaks.

Best,

#90458 - 06/01/12 02:09 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: beyond 1000]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montreal, QC, Canada
Originally Posted By: beyond 1000

Where do I begin to agree on this. Xenonman this is painful to read what you are saying but sadly TRUE. As I said subtly before, Outlaw needs to get the 978 out NOW. Where you say that even if they build it they won't recoup any losses is something that I'm now seeing for myself. As much as they are working on the 978 to get it right, I don't think the market will even care at that point. Slow off the starting line and you loose the race. If they do get the 978 out and selling how long will those sales last and what is their next project after that one? I forsee a few good reviews on it and then very mediocre sales and it will fizzle out into oblivion.

Outlaw should refreshen their line. Bring out a two channel amp, bring out an AVR, bring out a quality bluray player...but mostly bring out something.

The possibility of Outlaw scrapping the processor as to not falling into a deeper financial pit may be the very next move as Xenonman just pointed out.

Indeed they need to get it out now. But even if they've finished the design by now and they would want to get released earlier than they previously preferred to, with some minor issues, they probably have yet to complete the various certifications (Audyssey, Dolby, DTS, HDMI, FCC, UL, CSA, etc.).

Bringing out a two-channel amp is a feasible task for them. A quality Blu-ray player on the other hand where the mid-end is already solidly occupied by the likes of Oppo and Marantz would be suicidal at this point. The higher-end is again mostly owned by Oppo and others such as Denon, Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Ayre, etc..

Bringing out an AVR just opens up the same can of worms as the 978, which they've yet to release. It's the digital side of the design where most of the complexity lies. The AVR market is already over-saturated with offerings at every imaginable price-point by Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Marantz, NAD, Anthem, etc.

In light of the new receivers and the new rumored processors from Marantz, I'm also afraid that just like XenonMan said the 978 may become a lost cause. They should have designed the 978 in the US even if design costs would have ended being higher. Then they could have had the units made in China (sorry Ritz). In this way, I believe they would have made it sooner to market and that's often critical in this day and age.

#90459 - 06/01/12 02:23 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Kevin C Brown]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

XT32 is still a differentiating item for me, so I think there is still value to putting out the 978. But yeah, the more delay there is, obviously, the more potential customers they lose.

But imagine if Marantz releases an AV7007 at $1500 (like the present AV7005) and an AV8007 for about $2600 (like the AV8003) where they would both have XT32, the 978 would be squeezed in between those two much more feature rich processors. I'll tell you one thing, The 978 better sound as good or better than the AV8007 at the price point of the AV7007 if it's to even stand a chance in this battle. It better emulate what the Oppo BDP-95 has achieved in the BD player market in terms of SQ or forget it.

#90460 - 06/01/12 02:23 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Ritz2]
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Originally Posted By: Ritz2
It remains to be seen if XT vs XT32 provides much in the way of audible difference until we see some head to head comparisons. I'm a bit skeptical. Granted, higher resolution is nice to have, but I'm unconvinced that it makes a real difference in this application.

Lots of info about XT32 vs XT in the Audyssey thread at AVS. I'm not convinced XT32 is the quantum improvement over XT that a lot of the fanboys there feel it is, but I do believe it's a fundamental and significant if incremental improvement over XT.

Not just about the higher resolution of XT32's filters, but also how they are applied across the audio spectrum.

Originally Posted By: jam
But imagine if Marantz releases an AV7007 at $1500 (like the present AV7005) and an AV8007 for about $2600 (like the AV8003) where they would both have XT32, the 978 would be squeezed in between those two much more feature rich processors. I'll tell you one thing, The 978 better sound as good or better than the AV8007 at the price point of the AV7007 if it's to even stand a chance in this battle. It better emulate what the Oppo BDP-95 has achieved in the BD player market in terms of SQ or forget it.

If the SR7007 only has XT, then I really doubt an AV7007 would have XT32.

I would agree otherwise. Let's say that if Marantz does do an AV8007 with XT32. I'd figure discounted to the ~$2250 level. The 978 would have to have a kickass analog output stage before I'd "jump ship" from the AV7005 to the 978 vs just "moving up" to the prospective AV8007. But I'd still certainly consider Outlaw as a competitor though.

But like a lot of people, I just use a processor for physical disc movies and music. I personally don't care about streaming and internet connectivity, aside from easy peasy f/w upgrades.

Edited by Kevin C Brown (06/01/12 02:29 PM)

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#90461 - 06/01/12 02:28 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Kevin C Brown]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Ritz2
It remains to be seen if XT vs XT32 provides much in the way of audible difference until we see some head to head comparisons. I'm a bit skeptical. Granted, higher resolution is nice to have, but I'm unconvinced that it makes a real difference in this application.

Lots of info about XT32 vs XT in the Audyssey thread at AVS. I'm not convinced XT32 is the quantum improvement over XT that a lot of the fanboys there feel it is, but I do believe it's a fundamental and significant if incremental improvement over XT.

Not just about the higher resolution of XT32's filters, but also how they are applied across the audio spectrum.

On paper, it looks nice. But on paper 512x oversampling looks better than 4x oversampling. Can you or I hear a difference? That's where my skepticism lies. At the end of the day, none of this matters for Outlaw. The 978 is going to be DOA due to a lack of features, not because of the sound quality or the delivery date.

Best,

#90462 - 06/01/12 02:55 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Kevin C Brown]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

If the SR7007 only has XT, then I really doubt an AV7007 would have XT32.

I would agree otherwise. Let's say that if Marantz does do an AV8007 with XT32. I'd figure discounted to the ~$2250 level. The 978 would have to have a kickass analog output stage before I'd "jump ship" from the AV7005 to the 978 vs just "moving up" to the prospective AV8007. But I'd still certainly consider Outlaw as a competitor though.

But like a lot of people, I just use a processor for physical disc movies and music. I personally don't care about streaming and internet connectivity, aside from easy peasy f/w upgrades.

But don't forget that the AV7007 while having a fairly refined balanced pre-out stage would not have the whole multichannel amplifier section of the receiver and the cost associated with that. Furthermore, XT32 can basically pretty much run on the same TI DSP platform as XT if we're to believe Audyssey's claims.

I agree, people that don't care much about streaming from the Internet, myself included, will still consider the 978. Although, the added streaming DLNA features from a NAS for instance could potentially tilt the balance, SQ being equal. But like I said, it better damn well sound awesome.

#90464 - 06/01/12 04:04 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Damn right, jam!
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with Ritz2. Lack of features won't kill the 978. If you want lots of features, buy an AVR. If you want feature overload, buy a high-end AVR or pre/pro. All along, since Outlaw's refocus from 998 to 978, the product has been about world-class SQ rather than having as many "features" as possible. I would venture to say that the majority of us waiting for the 978 are looking forward to SQ and a well-implemented complimentary feature set.

#90465 - 06/01/12 04:33 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: Hank]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I agree with Hank in that a lack of features won't kill the 978 as long as the price is right. However for a new customer with less experience with equipment the 978 is going to appear overpricedd even at $900. Those of us who have ridden this train for the last 4 years understood that the 997/998/978 would be extraordinary sounding without a lot of bells and whistles. If it had come out two years back it still would have lacked some features but we were ready for that. D&M has marched too far ahead for Outlaw to keep pace.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#90466 - 06/01/12 05:32 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: XenonMan]
jam Offline
Gunslinger

That's an excellent point XenonMan about the experience level of the potential customers. I think their only and last hope lies with extraordinary SQ at an ordinary price.

#90467 - 06/01/12 07:16 PM Re: 2012 June Model 978 UPDATE! [Re: jam]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I am afraid the $1500 price will make many potential customers look elsewhere.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts